British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Australia (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/)
-   -   Visa question (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/visa-question-909313/)

Joegmfc098 Feb 16th 2018 3:28 pm

Visa question

Hi me and my girlfriend came to Australia in 2014 for 4 months on a years holiday working Visa we travelled around the country and was planning on staying to work and apply for second years visa. But had to go home back to uk. And ended up staying here. We visited again two years back just for a months holiday.

We love it there and one day I would love to immigrate. But was told this is going to be a hard process maybe impossible as I didn’t stay and work and got my second year visa. Is there any possibility of us being able to live and work there legally?

I’m 27 my girlfriend is 25. I’m a scaffolder which isn’t on the skilled jobs list and she is a office manage that also isn’t on the skilled jobs list, I spoke to someone that said maybe we could get a years student visa and when your out there find work and try to get a sponsor? Is that correct and if so what age will they stop allowing you to get a student visa.

Or what about if I had a substantial amount of money saved up in the future could that somehow get us out there? Any help is much appreciated!

verystormy Feb 17th 2018 6:11 am

Re: Visa question

Yes you could apply for a student visa, but be aware that international study costs are very high and you are limited to working part time.

There are visas for people with large amounts of money who are willing to invest but it is in the millions.

Pollyana Feb 17th 2018 8:27 am

Originally Posted by Joegmfc098 (Post 12443481)
Hi me and my girlfriend came to Australia in 2014 for 4 months on a years holiday working Visa we travelled around the country and was planning on staying to work and apply for second years visa. But had to go home back to uk. And ended up staying here. We visited again two years back just for a months holiday.

We love it there and one day I would love to immigrate. But was told this is going to be a hard process maybe impossible as I didn’t stay and work and got my second year visa.

Not having done a second year WHV is totally irrelevant, it would not have helped at all as itsjust really considered as a tourist visa.

AusStud Mar 8th 2018 4:16 am

Hey Joegmfc098,
in your particular situation, you should start with a student visa and try to find other opportunities in a place. Especially you are scaffolder which is a good occupation for the Australian workplace. Even though it is not on the skilled list you will be able to be sponsored or nominated by state/ employer to stay here longer.
If your girlfriend is an office worker and completed Bachelor studies, maybe you should consider MBA studies for her? Of course, it is much more expensive than colleges, but you have a full-time work permit as her partner and secondly- after graduation, if studies took 2 years, you can apply for post-graduation visa for another 2 years with the full-time work permit for both of you (it gives you 4 years stay in total).

If you have more questions I am happy to help as much as I can. Prv msg me.

verystormy Mar 8th 2018 4:21 am

Originally Posted by AusStud (Post 12458412)
Hey Joegmfc098,
in your particular situation, you should start with a student visa and try to find other opportunities in a place. Especially you are scaffolder which is a good occupation for the Australian workplace. Even though it is not on the skilled list you will be able to be sponsored or nominated by state/ employer to stay here longer.
If your girlfriend is an office worker and completed Bachelor studies, maybe you should consider MBA studies for her? Of course, it is much more expensive than colleges, but you have a full-time work permit as her partner and secondly- after graduation, if studies took 2 years, you can apply for post-graduation visa for another 2 years with the full-time work permit for both of you (it gives you 4 years stay in total).

If you have more questions I am happy to help as much as I can. Prv msg me.

Full of inaccurate information

AusStud Mar 8th 2018 4:24 am

What is inaccurate?

Dorothy Mar 8th 2018 8:32 am

Originally Posted by AusStud (Post 12458417)
What is inaccurate?

Most everything you wrote.

Are you an agent?

verystormy Mar 8th 2018 9:18 am

Originally Posted by AusStud (Post 12458417)
What is inaccurate?

For a start, in order to be sponsored by a state or business the occupation still has to be on the skilled occupation list. Second, for a state to sponsor, it is actually in many ways harder as the occupation has to be on the skilled occupation list AND on the states own list.

Going to do an MBA is not as simple as having a degree. Any MBA worth its salt will demand exec level experience as well as a degree. Also, fees for an international MBA anywhere near decent are going to be in the $50k mark. I cant remember ever seeing one that is full time as a large chunk of the course requires input from the work. (Source - commenced an MBA and already hold two post grads)

Getting a two year visa afterwards is far from a given and if the course wasn't full time not possible.

rammygirl Mar 8th 2018 9:23 am

Looking at the user name they are an education visa agent or provider.................

Just looking to promise everything by simple doing a course. Beware you could be tens of thousand dollars later with no route to PR........................