Visa Question

Old Dec 9th 2003, 2:25 pm
Forum Regular

donglemouse is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Visa Question

ok i did look at the FAQ but couldn't find the answer to this one

I should have enough points for an independent skills migration visa.

If you make an application and have a spouse - if you qualify does your spouse also get a visa?(and does it matter if they meet the basic requirements themselves or not - the only potential issues I may have is for my girlfriend she has not worked 12/last 18 months in her 60pt skill)

or

Does it just mean your spouse is entitled to enter Australia with you but is not eligible for work?

Just wondering as if I apply with my girlfriend can we get away with one paying one set of fees for skill assessment and avoid het problems of meeting the recent work experience requirement - we should have no trouble proving the defacto/common law relationship or whatever else it is called.

Thanks
Andy
Old Dec 9th 2003, 2:31 pm
Forum Regular

PeterAndSue is an unknown quantity at this point

When I applied for my visa , the main application was done on my name.
My wifes trade was not taken into account. If you have enough points you will not need any extra points for her trade.
I dont know if she still need to meet basic requierments i.e
English lang.
But she will HAVE to pass medical and police check.
Old Dec 9th 2003, 2:56 pm
BE Enthusiast

CHnJ has much to be proud ofCHnJ has much to be proud ofCHnJ has much to be proud ofCHnJ has much to be proud ofCHnJ has much to be proud ofCHnJ has much to be proud ofCHnJ has much to be proud ofCHnJ has much to be proud ofCHnJ has much to be proud ofCHnJ has much to be proud ofCHnJ has much to be proud of

For the skilled route, the only advantage to putting your wife's skills forward would be to gain an extra 5 points for security if they move the passmark upwards after your application is in. To get the 5 points she would need to pay to get the full skills assessment done and meet the same experience criteria etc.

If you can get in as skilled under your own name, she gets PR status as well and can work too.

Hope this answers your question