British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Australia (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/)
-   -   Visa Processing times (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/visa-processing-times-107493/)

Jamesy Aug 30th 2002 7:42 pm

Visa Processing times

New to this site - but some v useful information. We have just applied for our visa under the skilled migration category using agents (to take some of the pain out of it). We have the 60 points from the Trades recognition - so should be no problems.

Can anyone advise me on how long this is taking at the moment - I've heard upto 20 months - surely not!!

Any advice on if and how you can speed up the process?

bevo Aug 30th 2002 8:10 pm

Re: Visa Processing times

Ours took 91/2 months in total and that included 11 weeks extra as there was a hitch with one of the medicals. Hope this helps. Try www.austimeline.com helpful timescales on there.

Keri

abergas Aug 30th 2002 10:07 pm

Originally posted by Jamesy:

Can anyone advise me on how long this is taking at the moment - I've heard upto 20 months - surely not!!

Hi there,
You'll be one of those lucky ones to apply to adelaide.
We, like many others on this site had the mis-fortune
of applying to london as it was b4 nov 2001.
We applied in july 2001 so its now 13 months but adelaide seems to be processing @ 9/10/11/12 months by the posts on this and other sites.We have some friends who are still waiting after 18 months!
The only good thing about that is you get plenty of time to sort out the mountain of paperwork for all necessary
bits and pieces.
Which trade did you apply under ??
One possible short cut is to get state sponsership
(we here Victoria is pretty good at this),but you have to stay in that state for two years.

:scared:
Hope this helps a bit,but if you trol through this site, there's
lots of good advice.
cul8tr
Dave and Yve

Juls Aug 31st 2002 8:10 am

New to this site - but some v useful information. We have just applied for our visa under the skilled migration category using agents (to take some of the pain out of it). We have the 60 points from the Trades recognition - so should be no problems.

Hello there,

We applied to Adelaide April 2002, Hubbies a toolmaker had assestment back from the TRA.
Now we're in the process of being fast tracked and have just booked medicals for Oct. Had police checks back this week.
We were told it could take just 3 months from starting to be fast tracked til the visa's come, so it's moving pretty quickly.

We did'nt expect to be out there til end of next year, looks like it's gonna be sooner!

Hope this helps?

Julie

(Adelaide by April 2003)

Jamesy Aug 31st 2002 9:09 pm

Originally posted by Juls:

Hello there,

We applied to Adelaide April 2002, Hubbies a toolmaker had assestment back from the TRA.
Now we're in the process of being fast tracked and have just booked medicals for Oct. Had police checks back this week.
We were told it could take just 3 months from starting to be fast tracked til the visa's come, so it's moving pretty quickly.

We did'nt expect to be out there til end of next year, looks like it's gonna be sooner!

Hope this helps?

Julie

(Adelaide by April 2003)

Jamesy Aug 31st 2002 9:12 pm

Thanks for the info Julie - sounds like your application has been posted very quickly! Are you being fast tracked because your hubbies occupation is on the occupations in demand list? My hubby has been classified as telecoms tradesperson - which is 60 points put doesn't entitle us to be fastracked. Where are you thinking of going to?

Nicki

Jamesy Aug 31st 2002 9:19 pm

Originally posted by abergas:

Hi there,
You'll be one of those lucky ones to apply to adelaide.
We, like many others on this site had the mis-fortune
of applying to london as it was b4 nov 2001.
We applied in july 2001 so its now 13 months but adelaide seems to be processing @ 9/10/11/12 months by the posts on this and other sites.We have some friends who are still waiting after 18 months!
The only good thing about that is you get plenty of time to sort out the mountain of paperwork for all necessary
bits and pieces.
Which trade did you apply under ??
One possible short cut is to get state sponsership
(we here Victoria is pretty good at this),but you have to stay in that state for two years.

:scared:
Hope this helps a bit,but if you trol through this site, there's
lots of good advice.
cul8tr
Dave and Yve

Jamesy Aug 31st 2002 9:21 pm

Hello Dave and Yve

We applied under Telecoms trades person and were successful. We have already lodged our application - so is it possible for us to still go for state sponsorship - why do you like Victoria - have you been?

Thanks for the help

Niki n Rob

Jaj Aug 31st 2002 11:37 pm

Yes it is still possible to go for State sponsorship. You should have filled out the
skill matching section of the visa application when you applied, if not you can fill
it out now and send it into your case officer, quoting your file number.

You can also get in touch with Victoria directly:
http://www.migration.vic.gov.au

Jeremy

>On Sat, 31 Aug 2002 21:21:28 +0000, Jamesy <[email protected]> wrote:
    >Originally posted by Jamesy:
    >Hello Dave and Yve
    >We applied under Telecoms trades person and were successful. We have already lodged
    >our application - so is it possible for us to still go for state sponsorship - why
    >do you like Victoria - have you been?
    >Thanks for the help
    >Niki n Rob
    >--
    >Jamesy
    >Posted via http://britishexpats.com

Alan Collett Sep 1st 2002 1:53 am

Jeremy - there's no need to lodge Skills Matching paperwork: an application can be bumped up from a 136-Skilled Independent to a 137-State Nominated Independent once SA or Victoria have confirmed they will nominate.

Best regards.

Originally posted by Jaj:
Yes it is still possible to go for State sponsorship. You should have filled out the
skill matching section of the visa application when you applied, if not you can fill
it out now and send it into your case officer, quoting your file number.

You can also get in touch with Victoria directly:
http://www.migration.vic.gov.au

Jeremy

>On Sat, 31 Aug 2002 21:21:28 +0000, Jamesy <[email protected]> wrote:
    >Originally posted by Jamesy:
    >Hello Dave and Yve
    >We applied under Telecoms trades person and were successful. We have already lodged
    >our application - so is it possible for us to still go for state sponsorship - why
    >do you like Victoria - have you been?
    >Thanks for the help
    >Niki n Rob
    >--
    >Jamesy
    >Posted via http://britishexpats.com

Grub Sep 2nd 2002 10:50 am

Dear Alan (and anyone else)

Is there any way we can speed things up- we applied May 31st 2001 toi London and are still waiting (house in market etc). Husband carpenter.We are desperate to get out there this side of Xmas. Do they accpet bribes??

Any advise more than gratefully received.

Thanks

Originally posted by Alan Collett:
Jeremy - there's no need to lodge Skills Matching paperwork: an application can be bumped up from a 136-Skilled Independent to a 137-State Nominated Independent once SA or Victoria have confirmed they will nominate.

Best regards.

Alan Collett Sep 2nd 2002 11:48 am

Hello again Nicky.

If you were heading for Melbourne I could probably help through a State Nomination (processing time about 6 months) - but my understanding is that you're heading for WA => you are looking at the 20 month wait.

Alternatively, have you tried for an employer nomination? It might be worth contacting some companies in WA that you think would have a need for your husband's trade skills ...

Best regards.

Originally posted by NickyTurner:
Dear Alan (and anyone else)

Is there any way we can speed things up- we applied May 31st 2001 toi London and are still waiting (house in market etc). Husband carpenter.We are desperate to get out there this side of Xmas. Do they accpet bribes??

Any advise more than gratefully received.

Thanks

iancurtis Sep 2nd 2002 2:54 pm

'20 months' !

What happened to the 50 weeks duration ?

Grub Sep 2nd 2002 2:59 pm

Originally posted by iancurtis:
'20 months' !

What happened to the 50 weeks duration ?
It is 20 months approx if you applied before mid 2001 as all our applications went to London and they in their greatness decided to close the office and move it to Adelaide- hence skeleton staff. Very unlucky i think you will agree. When did you apply?

iancurtis Sep 2nd 2002 3:17 pm

Ah, I see. Major panic just for a minute there. We applied in May 2002 through Adelaide. Missed the IT fasttrack but compared to you guys I guess we're still lucky.