Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

The Visa Process for sponsored 457

Wikiposts

The Visa Process for sponsored 457

Old Sep 18th 2006, 4:25 pm
now sweet kraut

sour kraut is a name known to allsour kraut is a name known to allsour kraut is a name known to allsour kraut is a name known to allsour kraut is a name known to allsour kraut is a name known to allsour kraut is a name known to allsour kraut is a name known to allsour kraut is a name known to allsour kraut is a name known to allsour kraut is a name known to all
Default Re: The Visa Process for sponsored 457

Originally Posted by JAJ
Doesn't mean it's true ... front line officials are rarely up to speed on the technicalities of the law.

Just because you are born in a country doesn't mean you're a citizen of it, with only a few exceptions.
What? Can I quote you on that next time I visit an office of a government agency?

Ok, I meant citizenship, rather than birth. Was a bit wishy-washy on that, as in my case that's the same.

My employer pay for my PR? That's an interesting thought! Why would they, though... having just paid for my temp visa, and getting 4 years out of me that way anyway? If I got PR I could desert and work for someone else! Anyone, in fact!
Old Sep 18th 2006, 4:43 pm
Full Throttle

stevemich has a reputation beyond reputestevemich has a reputation beyond reputestevemich has a reputation beyond reputestevemich has a reputation beyond reputestevemich has a reputation beyond reputestevemich has a reputation beyond reputestevemich has a reputation beyond reputestevemich has a reputation beyond reputestevemich has a reputation beyond reputestevemich has a reputation beyond reputestevemich has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sour kraut
What? Can I quote you on that next time I visit an office of a government agency?

Ok, I meant citizenship, rather than birth. Was a bit wishy-washy on that, as in my case that's the same.

My employer pay for my PR? That's an interesting thought! Why would they, though... having just paid for my temp visa, and getting 4 years out of me that way anyway? If I got PR I could desert and work for someone else! Anyone, in fact!
I am on a 457 and have to pay a penalty if I leave prior to the end of my 2 year contract. My company uses the sponsored PR as a carrot to keep me with them. When my temp visa expires, they (according to a colleague) will want to tie me in to working for them for a further 3 years as a condition of assisting with my PR. :scared:

Basically it means I am their bitch, and they can keep my pay artificially low, knowing it will cost me big bucks to leave them..

Needless to say, i am looking elsewhere, and for any new company to pay my get out clause as well as sponsor me for PR straight away.

Be wary of that if you want to take up a 457!
Old Sep 18th 2006, 6:26 pm
Karma Comedian

jayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond repute

Presumably your 'penalty' is only related to partial or full reimbursement of their costs associated with getting you the visa?

Are you getting LAFHA through them?

Originally Posted by stevemich
I am on a 457 and have to pay a penalty if I leave prior to the end of my 2 year contract. My company uses the sponsored PR as a carrot to keep me with them. When my temp visa expires, they (according to a colleague) will want to tie me in to working for them for a further 3 years as a condition of assisting with my PR. :scared:
Old Sep 18th 2006, 6:28 pm
Forum Regular

jossy is just really nicejossy is just really nicejossy is just really nicejossy is just really nicejossy is just really nicejossy is just really nicejossy is just really nicejossy is just really nicejossy is just really nicejossy is just really nicejossy is just really nice

Hiya

I am going through the same thing. Although moving to Perth my application was lodged by the Company agent in Sydney.

The company I am working for is already approved and therefore didn't have to lodge, but they said as did their agent that, that actually accounts for at least four weeks of the process.

Once that takes place, lodge app then x-rays and decision in Sydney 1-2 wks after x-rays.

We did our x-rays automatically the day after the visa was lodged (in London for £40 no appt needed) and they were received in Sydney and marked as health requirements met the same day (4 days after the xray in London).

So shouldnt be more than a week now (been a week since they updated and confirmed meds).

Good luck with it, hopefully it shouldn't take long. Alot seem to say Perth is slow, do you not get the choice of where you lodge?

Cheers guys, take care

Jo
Old Sep 18th 2006, 6:31 pm
Full Throttle

stevemich has a reputation beyond reputestevemich has a reputation beyond reputestevemich has a reputation beyond reputestevemich has a reputation beyond reputestevemich has a reputation beyond reputestevemich has a reputation beyond reputestevemich has a reputation beyond reputestevemich has a reputation beyond reputestevemich has a reputation beyond reputestevemich has a reputation beyond reputestevemich has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jayr
Presumably your 'penalty' is only related to partial or full reimbursement of their costs associated with getting you the visa?

Are you getting LAFHA through them?
1) Yes - $200 per week until the end of my contract period...so the closer to the end, the less I pay. However if I was to decide to return to the UK instead of going for PR, they would have to fork out about $12,000 in flights etc for my family - so there may be room for negotiation if I was to get offered another job.

2) Yes - (cracking it is too), although does not really make up for what I could get elswhere at market rate...
Old Sep 18th 2006, 6:32 pm
BE Forum Addict

NickyP has a reputation beyond reputeNickyP has a reputation beyond reputeNickyP has a reputation beyond reputeNickyP has a reputation beyond reputeNickyP has a reputation beyond reputeNickyP has a reputation beyond reputeNickyP has a reputation beyond reputeNickyP has a reputation beyond reputeNickyP has a reputation beyond reputeNickyP has a reputation beyond reputeNickyP has a reputation beyond repute

We came over on a 457 paid for by Ian's company and they applied for the PR as sponsors as soon as the 457 was agreed, again all fees paid for by them. If Ian leaves within 2 years he has to reimburse their costs but other than that there is no tie in.
Some companies will do it but from what I have heard on this website it isn't all that common.
Good luck
Nicky
Old Sep 18th 2006, 6:44 pm
Forum Regular

jossy is just really nicejossy is just really nicejossy is just really nicejossy is just really nicejossy is just really nicejossy is just really nicejossy is just really nicejossy is just really nicejossy is just really nicejossy is just really nicejossy is just really nice

Originally Posted by NickyP
We came over on a 457 paid for by Ian's company and they applied for the PR as sponsors as soon as the 457 was agreed, again all fees paid for by them. If Ian leaves within 2 years he has to reimburse their costs but other than that there is no tie in.
Some companies will do it but from what I have heard on this website it isn't all that common.
Good luck
Nicky
Hi nicky

Same as me, only tie in is the costs they incurred at the time of sponsorship no other ties there

Jo
Old Sep 18th 2006, 10:20 pm
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

You could always research the Health Insurance Act for yourself. http://www.comlaw.gov.au

A good employer shouldn't need to worry much about that.

Did you not negotiate a PR visa at the start?
Old Sep 24th 2006, 2:54 pm
now sweet kraut

sour kraut is a name known to allsour kraut is a name known to allsour kraut is a name known to allsour kraut is a name known to allsour kraut is a name known to allsour kraut is a name known to allsour kraut is a name known to allsour kraut is a name known to allsour kraut is a name known to allsour kraut is a name known to allsour kraut is a name known to all

Originally Posted by JAJ
Did you not negotiate a PR visa at the start?
I wasn't eligible for PR at the start.
Old Sep 24th 2006, 6:06 pm
Karma Comedian

jayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond repute

I wasn't eligible for PR at the start.
Employer Sponsored Permanent Residence has a lower hurdle than getting PR on your own.

I have been on a 457 for 2 companies over the last 3.5 years. I'm about to move on again and have it written into my offer that new employer will sponsor me for PR, even though they want to use 457 first to move me over quickly.

In general for Employer sponsored PR, you need 3 years experience in that job/role and appropriate qualifications.
Old Sep 25th 2006, 10:34 am
now sweet kraut

Originally Posted by jayr
Employer Sponsored Permanent Residence has a lower hurdle than getting PR on your own.
Ah ok! Does it work on the points system?
Old Sep 25th 2006, 10:39 am
BE Forum Addict

NickyP has a reputation beyond reputeNickyP has a reputation beyond reputeNickyP has a reputation beyond reputeNickyP has a reputation beyond reputeNickyP has a reputation beyond reputeNickyP has a reputation beyond reputeNickyP has a reputation beyond reputeNickyP has a reputation beyond reputeNickyP has a reputation beyond reputeNickyP has a reputation beyond reputeNickyP has a reputation beyond repute

Requirements for eligibility can be found here

http://www.immi.gov.au/skilled/skill...y-employee.htm

Nicky
Old Sep 25th 2006, 11:30 am
Karma Comedian

No. One of the benefits of Employer SPonsorship is that there is no points test. There are other criteria however and I for one find it much easier to meet those than I do meeting the points test.