Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

The Visa Process for sponsored 457

Wikiposts

The Visa Process for sponsored 457

Old Jul 7th 2006, 1:42 pm
BE Forum Addict

NickyP has a reputation beyond reputeNickyP has a reputation beyond reputeNickyP has a reputation beyond reputeNickyP has a reputation beyond reputeNickyP has a reputation beyond reputeNickyP has a reputation beyond reputeNickyP has a reputation beyond reputeNickyP has a reputation beyond reputeNickyP has a reputation beyond reputeNickyP has a reputation beyond reputeNickyP has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: The Visa Process for sponsored 457

Hi there we came over here on a 457 which took just under 2 months from start to finish and that included the company doing their admin as well. We only had to have X-Rays but did our meds as well as the PR application was started as soon as the 457 was granted, they had to have a second lot of X-Rays though as they wouldn't accept the ones from the 457 application. We now have PR which was granted in April so took a further 7 months so wasn't bad.
I hope that you enjoy your move over to Perth.
Nicky
Old Jul 7th 2006, 1:45 pm
BE Forum Addict

cranni has a reputation beyond reputecranni has a reputation beyond reputecranni has a reputation beyond reputecranni has a reputation beyond reputecranni has a reputation beyond reputecranni has a reputation beyond reputecranni has a reputation beyond reputecranni has a reputation beyond reputecranni has a reputation beyond reputecranni has a reputation beyond reputecranni has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by amanda34
Hi there all,

Around four weeks ago, I was offered a job in Perth. A phonecall from a client I work with here in the UK at 11.30pm whilst I was half asleep, I thought I was dreaming actually until I read my email and found out what I had agreed to!!

Anyway, they are a sponsorship company, have put the forms through for a sponsorship visa, I have put mine in my side for a 457 visa. I only have to have a chest x ray, no other medicals. I have lodged my visa, I have attached my cv, company registration, employer references and my new employment contract........some people tell me it can only take a couple of weeks from that point to get your approval? Is that true? I keep reading things about 7 months, 12 months but they seem to be under different visas?

I am just so excited about going I could burst.....literally......have been doing all my research, cant wait to get there for real and go to all the places I have been reading about. Its calling my name and I cant wait to be on that flight!!
Hi Amanda, well what do you do, are you alone.
MY niece came on the 457, it took 6 weeks.
We have friends coming out end July, theirs took about 6 weeks, yes it is processed fairly quick.
good luck in Perth, we are 2 hours away, but my son and his Girlfriend live there.
Denise
Old Jul 7th 2006, 7:57 pm
Forum Regular

amanda34 is a glorious beacon of lightamanda34 is a glorious beacon of lightamanda34 is a glorious beacon of lightamanda34 is a glorious beacon of lightamanda34 is a glorious beacon of lightamanda34 is a glorious beacon of lightamanda34 is a glorious beacon of lightamanda34 is a glorious beacon of lightamanda34 is a glorious beacon of lightamanda34 is a glorious beacon of lightamanda34 is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by cranni
Hi Amanda, well what do you do, are you alone.
MY niece came on the 457, it took 6 weeks.
We have friends coming out end July, theirs took about 6 weeks, yes it is processed fairly quick.
good luck in Perth, we are 2 hours away, but my son and his Girlfriend live there.
Denise
I am coming alone, which to be honest I am grateful for as I don't think I could organise a whole family, its bad enough for just me!! I am quite fortunate that I have no house to sell etc too so as soon as I am approved I can just go and start my new job (they are dying for me to be there too as they have lots of work for me to do). I am a financial software consultant.

I really am looking forward to it, its an adventure and a new life. I have heard that everyone there is really friendly that I should make friends pretty quickly. The thought of actually having a life is just a fabulous thought....as anyone knows, living in London and just getting to a client who is also in London takes 2.5 hours each way......if I can get an apartment where I want then it will be a 10 minute walk to the office! Imagining what I can do with an extra 4.5 hours a day......hobbies and a life....wow!
Old Jul 7th 2006, 8:02 pm
Forum Regular

amanda34 is a glorious beacon of lightamanda34 is a glorious beacon of lightamanda34 is a glorious beacon of lightamanda34 is a glorious beacon of lightamanda34 is a glorious beacon of lightamanda34 is a glorious beacon of lightamanda34 is a glorious beacon of lightamanda34 is a glorious beacon of lightamanda34 is a glorious beacon of lightamanda34 is a glorious beacon of lightamanda34 is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by NickyP
Hi there we came over here on a 457 which took just under 2 months from start to finish and that included the company doing their admin as well. We only had to have X-Rays but did our meds as well as the PR application was started as soon as the 457 was granted, they had to have a second lot of X-Rays though as they wouldn't accept the ones from the 457 application. We now have PR which was granted in April so took a further 7 months so wasn't bad.
I hope that you enjoy your move over to Perth.
Nicky
Thank you Nicky, its good that I am not hearing 457's taking longer than 2 months. I think I would have humanly combusted if it did!!
Old Jul 9th 2006, 2:50 pm
now sweet kraut

sour kraut is a name known to allsour kraut is a name known to allsour kraut is a name known to allsour kraut is a name known to allsour kraut is a name known to allsour kraut is a name known to allsour kraut is a name known to allsour kraut is a name known to allsour kraut is a name known to allsour kraut is a name known to allsour kraut is a name known to all

Hiya,
I've been told, online applications have been dealt with as quick as 2 weeks or as slow as 8, that's for on-shore. There seem to be delays at the moment, in NSW too, probably due to the fee-rise and revamp of website (and people watching too much footie? *g*).
I've applied for mine last Friday online, and just handed my other stuff in at the Sydney office in person. My sponsor wants me to start on Aug 8, so hopefully that should work nicely.
My sponsor told me they've never had a visa refused after the nomination was granted...
Good luck to all of you!
Old Jul 27th 2006, 5:59 am
BE Enthusiast

chrispy is a glorious beacon of lightchrispy is a glorious beacon of lightchrispy is a glorious beacon of lightchrispy is a glorious beacon of lightchrispy is a glorious beacon of lightchrispy is a glorious beacon of lightchrispy is a glorious beacon of lightchrispy is a glorious beacon of lightchrispy is a glorious beacon of lightchrispy is a glorious beacon of lightchrispy is a glorious beacon of light

Hi there all,

Around four weeks ago, I was offered a job in Perth. A phonecall from a client I work with here in the UK at 11.30pm whilst I was half asleep, I thought I was dreaming actually until I read my email and found out what I had agreed to!!

Anyway, they are a sponsorship company, have put the forms through for a sponsorship visa, I have put mine in my side for a 457 visa. I only have to have a chest x ray, no other medicals. I have lodged my visa, I have attached my cv, company registration, employer references and my new employment contract........some people tell me it can only take a couple of weeks from that point to get your approval? Is that true? I keep reading things about 7 months, 12 months but they seem to be under different visas?

I am just so excited about going I could burst.....literally......have been doing all my research, cant wait to get there for real and go to all the places I have been reading about. Its calling my name and I cant wait to be on that flight!!
Hi,
I was wondering if anyone has any experiance of a 856 or 457 visa for skilled workers and what in practicle terms is the difference? I am asking because there is a possiblity that i may be sponsored for a position in Perth for a minimum 3 year contract.

BTW, this is a fantastic site to find out all those little things that cannot be discovered on more formal sites but that can make soooo much difference to how things turn out!

Cheers

Chris
Old Jul 27th 2006, 1:18 pm
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by chrispy
Hi,
I was wondering if anyone has any experiance of a 856 or 457 visa for skilled workers and what in practicle terms is the difference? I am asking because there is a possiblity that i may be sponsored for a position in Perth for a minimum 3 year contract.

856 = Permanent visa
457 = Temporary visa

The difference should be self-explanatory.
Old Jul 27th 2006, 3:06 pm

Bella Donna is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi there all,

Welcome to BE, Amanda. We came to Oz on a 457 sponsored visa last August but have now converted to PR. Our 457 application took three weeks in total, I believe, from the date it was submitted on-line to the time it was granted. It's one of the drawbacks of a 457 - if all is okay, it leaves you little time to get ready and go!! You may find it's almost too quick for you.

Good luck. Try not to burst before you get here.

Edit: Apologies - just noticed the date of first post. Hope you've heard something by now!!

Sue

Last edited by Bella Donna; Jul 27th 2006 at 3:10 pm.
Old Jul 27th 2006, 8:52 pm
BE Enthusiast

chrispy is a glorious beacon of lightchrispy is a glorious beacon of lightchrispy is a glorious beacon of lightchrispy is a glorious beacon of lightchrispy is a glorious beacon of lightchrispy is a glorious beacon of lightchrispy is a glorious beacon of lightchrispy is a glorious beacon of lightchrispy is a glorious beacon of lightchrispy is a glorious beacon of lightchrispy is a glorious beacon of light
Smile Re: The Visa Process for sponsored 457

http://britishexpats.com/forum/images/icons/icon7.gif
Originally Posted by JAJ
856 = Permanent visa
457 = Temporary visa

The difference should be self-explanatory.

Hi,
Sorry, I should have been more specific, looking at the immigration site it says that the 856 visa grants permenant residency status but if you go in on a 457 does that mean you cannot get immediate permenant residency? This isn't clear in the guidlines i read. This is important for me as i will have to apply for Australian funding for my work once i arrive and this requires permenant residency. I also think permenant residency has other implications a s well. Most the posts on this forum seem to have 457 visas. Also, are 856 visas only given out if they can show that the skill they need isn't available from the Australian workers market? Is the time between application and receiving the visa the same i.e. about 2 months? Information on any other differences would be gratefully received.

My girlfriend and i have been waiting for about 3 years to get this application/ work opportunity so we would like to know as much as possible before we actually submit the application. If everything goes to plan (a big if!!!) then we are hoping to arrive early next year (winter to summer.. GREAT). Did a recce In May, loved Perth but must admit i was a loittle disappointed in the blandness of the suburbs, most of the Northen ones looked like clones of each other, each with their own identical shopping mall with compulsery fast food diner... where are all the pubs/cafes/restaurants that give a place character. Apart from Subiaco, the CBD and Freemantle it looked the same. The parks and beaches looked fantatsic though.

Cheers

Chris

Just noticed this useful information given on a different thread....

http://britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?t=357804

Last edited by chrispy; Jul 27th 2006 at 9:27 pm.
Old Sep 17th 2006, 3:32 pm
now sweet kraut

sour kraut is a name known to allsour kraut is a name known to allsour kraut is a name known to allsour kraut is a name known to allsour kraut is a name known to allsour kraut is a name known to allsour kraut is a name known to allsour kraut is a name known to allsour kraut is a name known to allsour kraut is a name known to allsour kraut is a name known to all
Thumbs up Re: The Visa Process for sponsored 457

Hi!

Just a little late update on timeframes... I got my 457! After submitting part 2 with all the documents it took almost exactly one month. Saying that, I think I kickstarted the process a bit, as I happened to ring DIMA for an update the minute a case officer had been appointed, and I spoke with her before she even had a chance to look at my application. Not even 24 hours later I got the email!
After that my sponsor had some trouble placing me (my sponsor's a recruitment agency), so that they actually had to pay me before I started in a position, which I found most generous.
I've now been working for 3 weeks and I'm totally chuffed.

Another tidbit on the side - Unfortunately I sustained an injury 4 weeks ago, for which I now need some medical attention, and found out the hard way that good medical cover (I'm paying 48 dollars a week) is a Godsend, as I can't even see a GP without paying cash first. That is, IF you're on a temp visa AND your birth country hasn't got reciprocal arrangements with Australia (I believe the list includes Britain and Sweden and isn't very long).

sweet.
kraut
Old Sep 17th 2006, 4:06 pm
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by chrispy
Hi,
Sorry, I should have been more specific, looking at the immigration site it says that the 856 visa grants permenant residency status but if you go in on a 457 does that mean you cannot get immediate permenant residency?
No bar on 457 holders applying for permanent residence, but no automatic upgrade either.

This isn't clear in the guidlines i read. This is important for me as i will have to apply for Australian funding for my work once i arrive and this requires permenant residency. I also think permenant residency has other implications a s well. Most the posts on this forum seem to have 457 visas. Also, are 856 visas only given out if they can show that the skill they need isn't available from the Australian workers market?
Reforms in 2005 made 856 more straightforward for many. Download and read migration booklet 5.

Also:

- you don't have to get a 457. You can apply for offshore ENS (subclass 121) if you qualify and have permanent residence from Day 1.

- if ENS doesn't work, then look at RSMS if the job is in an eligible area. RSMS is subclass 857 (onshore) and 119 (offshore).

All explained in the booklet.
Old Sep 17th 2006, 4:07 pm
JAJ
Retired

Originally Posted by sour kraut
Another tidbit on the side - Unfortunately I sustained an injury 4 weeks ago, for which I now need some medical attention, and found out the hard way that good medical cover (I'm paying 48 dollars a week) is a Godsend, as I can't even see a GP without paying cash first. That is, IF you're on a temp visa AND your birth country hasn't got reciprocal arrangements with Australia (I believe the list includes Britain and Sweden and isn't very long).
Eligibility for reciprocal medicare is not based on "birth country". If you're not eligible for medicare then get a letter to that effect and the ATO will exempt you from the Medicare levy.

If you apply for a permanent visa and have a 457, you're immediately eligible for full medicare.
Old Sep 18th 2006, 9:44 am
now sweet kraut

Originally Posted by JAJ
Eligibility for reciprocal medicare is not based on "birth country". If you're not eligible for medicare then get a letter to that effect and the ATO will exempt you from the Medicare levy.
Well, that's what medicare officers told me! And I know that UK passport holders on the same (temporary) visa as mine are eligible.
What's the medicare levy?
I'd apply for PR if I had 2000 bucks going spare!

All I meant was, if people are thinking about doing it cheap - it might pay off to get proper private health insurance. Unless you're not as clumsy as me.
Old Sep 18th 2006, 1:13 pm
Breeding little aussies

movetoperth has a reputation beyond reputemovetoperth has a reputation beyond reputemovetoperth has a reputation beyond reputemovetoperth has a reputation beyond reputemovetoperth has a reputation beyond reputemovetoperth has a reputation beyond reputemovetoperth has a reputation beyond reputemovetoperth has a reputation beyond reputemovetoperth has a reputation beyond reputemovetoperth has a reputation beyond reputemovetoperth has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by JAJ
If you apply for a permanent visa and have a 457, you're immediately eligible for full medicare.
Thanks for that bit of info JAJ, i just presumed that full medicare didn't kick in until PR was granted, the agent that is handling my brothers application told them they would not be entitled to any medicare cover on a 457, mind you she has also been very wrong on a few other bits of advice too :scared:

Lynn
Old Sep 18th 2006, 1:51 pm
JAJ
Retired

Originally Posted by sour kraut
Well, that's what medicare officers told me!
Doesn't mean it's true ... front line officials are rarely up to speed on the technicalities of the law.

Just because you are born in a country doesn't mean you're a citizen of it, with only a few exceptions.

And I know that UK passport holders on the same (temporary) visa as mine are eligible.
Having a UK passport in itself doesn't qualify you either.

What's the medicare levy?
Visit the ATO website.

I'd apply for PR if I had 2000 bucks going spare!
Not having PR will probably cost you a lot more in the long run (if plan is to stay in Australia). Why doesn't your employer pay, anyway?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.