Visa prices!

Old Aug 23rd 2004, 1:43 am
Small Dane

Viking Man is a name known to allViking Man is a name known to allViking Man is a name known to allViking Man is a name known to allViking Man is a name known to allViking Man is a name known to allViking Man is a name known to allViking Man is a name known to allViking Man is a name known to allViking Man is a name known to allViking Man is a name known to all
Default Visa prices!

I am a dual UK/Australia national with a Japanese wife. Been checking out spouse visa prices in the three countries:

To get a Japanese spouse for me costs GBP20
To get a UK spouse visa for my wife costs GBP250
To get an Australian spouse visa for my wife costs GBP500

Any advance on GBP500 for the Australian one?
Old Aug 23rd 2004, 1:49 am
o_0

Peter will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Visa prices!

Originally Posted by Viking Man
I am a dual UK/Australia national with a Japanese wife. Been checking out spouse visa prices in the three countries:

What do you mean advance? You're up for AUD$1245, no ifs or buts or ways around it.
Old Aug 23rd 2004, 2:09 am

bondipom is an unknown quantity at this point

It would cost more than GBP500 to bribe Amanda or apply in Australia.
Old Aug 23rd 2004, 2:16 am
Small Dane

Viking Man is a name known to allViking Man is a name known to allViking Man is a name known to allViking Man is a name known to allViking Man is a name known to allViking Man is a name known to allViking Man is a name known to allViking Man is a name known to allViking Man is a name known to allViking Man is a name known to allViking Man is a name known to all

Originally Posted by Peter
What do you mean advance? You're up for AUD$1245, no ifs or buts or ways around it.
Sorry I was using British English vernacular. My meaning was is there a country with a more expensive visa than the Australian one? Perhaps the American one may well be.

Incidentally members of the EU, other than UK nationals, are entitled to live and work in the UK and can bring their spouse and children with them into the UK for free using an EEA Family Permit. This means that it is easier and cheaper for a Frenchman to bring his family into the UK, than it is for a Brit!
Old Aug 23rd 2004, 3:51 am
o_0

Peter will become famous soon enough

Sorry I was using British English vernacular. My meaning was is there a country with a more expensive visa than the Australian one? Perhaps the American one may well be.

Incidentally members of the EU, other than UK nationals, are entitled to live and work in the UK and can bring their spouse and children with them into the UK for free using an EEA Family Permit. This means that it is easier and cheaper for a Frenchman to bring his family into the UK, than it is for a Brit!
Why are you comparing a supranational setup like the EU with a standalone nation like Australia? If you think it's too expensive, that's your problem.

The US spouse visa was as follows. When I went through it, it was $250 for the "petition for an alien relative", about $130 for the work permit and $80 to "adjust status" and another $100 for the "parole". The parole was similar to the Australian travel bridging visa; it allowed me to travel while my "status was adjusted". Dealing with INS (USCIS now) was a bureaucratic hassle from day one.

Edit: due to the complexity of US immigration law, I was obliged to use a lawyer. Add another $1100 for that.

It took like 21 months from the day I applied until I was finally granted permanent residency in the US. Australian spouse visas take, officially, 4-6 months, but people have had them granted in days.

Assurances of support are mandatory in the US for any "alien relative" application. If they claim any federal or state benefit, the petitioner is required to pay it back. No free lunches in the US.

So, yeah, Australia may have a ripoff application fee, but there's a lot less hassle and red tape. And since 9/11, things have gotten more fortress-like here in the US in regards to migration.