Visa Options

Old Jun 3rd 2005, 1:06 pm
Just Joined

ruffashlar is an unknown quantity at this point
Post Visa Options

Hi,

I've recently been looking at various options that may be available to me to facilitate our move to Australia (Brisbane) and I was hoping for anyone's constructive feedback and thoughts on timescales.

- Get current employer to establish a branch office in Brisbane. I'm a fairly senior staff member and we are an established name in the coal industry which clearly is of importance to Australia's economy. I guess this would involve applying for a business visa and probably take the shortest amount of time to organise and move across???

- Resign in the UK and get a prospective Australian employer to sponsor my migration with a job that would tie me in for a few years. Although this is possible it's not a dead cert and obviously a little more restrictive and difficult. Again I'm not sure of the timescales involved...

- Migrate under the skilled migration category. I believe I just make the cutoff points but would probably have to get regional sponsorship. I believe that South Australia sponsors mining engineers (my background) although my recent work experience is more in the line of finance / commodities than pure engineering. So there's no certainty that I would get the visa. Also I was hoping to be based in Brisbane and not SA. Perhaps I should quit and train up as a certified plumber / carpenter. I've always wanted a more "hands on" job and if it gets me into Australia then so much the better...

- Study at an Australian university for a masters postgrad degree and try to get no work restrictions on it. Although we would have enough cash to live on for a few years whilst I study it would start getting a bit tight, considering the kids are nearly at a school-going age. My wife is a trained junior and secondary teacher. Could she work whilst I was studying?

Appreciate your thoughts and advice on the above. I hope to be able to return the favour one day.

Last edited by ruffashlar; Jun 3rd 2005 at 1:09 pm.
Old Jun 3rd 2005, 1:35 pm
Banned

Location: Manchester-Sydney August 07 and maybe Brisbane or Melbourne 08
alkristensen has a reputation beyond reputealkristensen has a reputation beyond reputealkristensen has a reputation beyond reputealkristensen has a reputation beyond reputealkristensen has a reputation beyond reputealkristensen has a reputation beyond reputealkristensen has a reputation beyond reputealkristensen has a reputation beyond reputealkristensen has a reputation beyond reputealkristensen has a reputation beyond reputealkristensen has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Visa Options

there are plenty of online agents with online applivcation forms, its best to fill one in and they wil contact you asap if they think theh can get some money off you. get all the info off them as though you are a thicko with lots of money to give them, and then apply yourself.
at least you will know which route to go as i was told over the phone which route i was tro go down,but i used an agent as i had a dodgy past and med conditions.
good luck
al
Old Jun 3rd 2005, 2:08 pm
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ruffashlar
Hi,

I've recently been looking at various options that may be available to me to facilitate our move to Australia (Brisbane) and I was hoping for anyone's constructive feedback and thoughts on timescales.

- Get current employer to establish a branch office in Brisbane. I'm a fairly senior staff member and we are an established name in the coal industry which clearly is of importance to Australia's economy. I guess this would involve applying for a business visa and probably take the shortest amount of time to organise and move across???

- Resign in the UK and get a prospective Australian employer to sponsor my migration with a job that would tie me in for a few years. Although this is possible it's not a dead cert and obviously a little more restrictive and difficult. Again I'm not sure of the timescales involved...

- Migrate under the skilled migration category. I believe I just make the cutoff points but would probably have to get regional sponsorship. I believe that South Australia sponsors mining engineers (my background) although my recent work experience is more in the line of finance / commodities than pure engineering. So there's no certainty that I would get the visa. Also I was hoping to be based in Brisbane and not SA. Perhaps I should quit and train up as a certified plumber / carpenter. I've always wanted a more "hands on" job and if it gets me into Australia then so much the better...

- Study at an Australian university for a masters postgrad degree and try to get no work restrictions on it. Although we would have enough cash to live on for a few years whilst I study it would start getting a bit tight, considering the kids are nearly at a school-going age. My wife is a trained junior and secondary teacher. Could she work whilst I was studying?

Appreciate your thoughts and advice on the above. I hope to be able to return the favour one day.

It's better to ask a question like this on the immigration forum.

A few points:

1. If your employer wants to set up business in Australia, get professional advice on visa options.
2. It's not that easy to get an Australian employer to sponsor someone from overseas. Also you need to make sure you qualify for employer nominated PR (rules changed recently) and avoid employers who refuse to sponsor for PR (some want you on a temporary visa only)
3. If you want STNI and South Australia want you, then you need to be prepared to live in SA for 2 years. You might like it there.

4. Can your wife not be the main applicant, maybe with you providing spouse skill points?

Jeremy
Old Jun 3rd 2005, 2:10 pm
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by alkristensen
there are plenty of online agents with online applivcation forms, its best to fill one in and they wil contact you asap if they think theh can get some money off you. get all the info off them as though you are a thicko with lots of money to give them, and then apply yourself.
If that's the plan why not just use the online information on the DIMIA website?

Most good agents have plenty of experience with people 'shopping around' for free advice and usually won't give out much in the way of specifics until you've signed a contract.

Also - people who 'shop around' often get confused when one agent says X, and the next agent says Y.

Jeremy
Old Jun 3rd 2005, 2:18 pm
Just Joined

ruffashlar is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by JAJ
It's better to ask a question like this on the immigration forum.
OK. Will do. Sorry, I'm still navigating my way around here... Thanks for the advice anyway...
Old Jun 3rd 2005, 2:31 pm
Banned

Location: Manchester-Sydney August 07 and maybe Brisbane or Melbourne 08
alkristensen has a reputation beyond reputealkristensen has a reputation beyond reputealkristensen has a reputation beyond reputealkristensen has a reputation beyond reputealkristensen has a reputation beyond reputealkristensen has a reputation beyond reputealkristensen has a reputation beyond reputealkristensen has a reputation beyond reputealkristensen has a reputation beyond reputealkristensen has a reputation beyond reputealkristensen has a reputation beyond repute

hi jaj
i waas just quoting from experience.

you are far more knowledgeaable to answer these uestions, but this is what i encountered when i did 10 online, and eing sa hairdresser they all came back telling me what i was going for. i.e. skills subclass 136 and that i need to go through the TRA, so, as i hadnt done any research whatsoever i was told quite a bit to get me started.
They wont giv you templates for stat decs and the lie til youve parted with your cah, butr i wish i would ve found this site before parting with 4 grand!!!

alk