Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Visa and living cost help

Visa and living cost help

Old Mar 29th 2016, 11:52 am
Still alive

Dorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Visa and living cost help

Originally Posted by Dones
I understand when I looked at rent and stuff it seemed possible but if you are on 65k and I have a family off 5 then I may struggle. Only thing that indices me is the salary has expectations to go up very high
Then why aren't they offering you the very high salary now?

And the problem with a 457 is that the visa is dependent on the job. If it goes tits up so does your visa and the right to stay in Australia.
Old Mar 29th 2016, 12:03 pm
Forum Regular

Dones is an unknown quantity at this point

It's junior project manager like a starting role as a project manager can earn over 100k easy. I never mentioned that visa that was somebody else as I am open to any visa that would help
Old Mar 29th 2016, 12:11 pm
Still alive

Dorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond repute

It's junior project manager like a starting role as a project manager can earn over 100k easy. I never mentioned that visa that was somebody else as I am open to any visa that would help
You said it was a temporary visa. That would be the 457.

I'm a junior project officer on $73k right now. Not a manager, project officer.
Old Mar 29th 2016, 12:11 pm
Lost in the antipodes

msmyrtle has a reputation beyond reputemsmyrtle has a reputation beyond reputemsmyrtle has a reputation beyond reputemsmyrtle has a reputation beyond reputemsmyrtle has a reputation beyond reputemsmyrtle has a reputation beyond reputemsmyrtle has a reputation beyond reputemsmyrtle has a reputation beyond reputemsmyrtle has a reputation beyond reputemsmyrtle has a reputation beyond reputemsmyrtle has a reputation beyond repute

Has the hiring company not raised the issue of visas with you? Are they willing to sponsor you to come over or are you required to sort that out yourself?

I'm surprised if you would get a PR visa (186) offered to you to be honest, I'd say you would be very lucky to get a 457 given the employment market in Perth at the moment. Certainly in the last two years the main contractors were no longer requiring 457s. My friend works for a major contractor (don't want to name it), he had worked for them for 3 years before they decided to sponsor him for PR from 457, and even then he was in the last group of candidates to get sponsorship. It took him almost a year for his PR application.

A permanent visa has the security of being permanent for you and your family. If you have to pay for it yourself it is expensive once you add up all the tests and documents, easily over $5000 (AUD) for a family of 5. A temporary visa is just that, temporary. If you quit or get fired or made redundant you have 90 days to either get a new sponsor, or to close out your affairs and leave the country.
Old Mar 29th 2016, 12:16 pm
Forum Regular

No the company wasn't willing to sponsor as they mentioned that apparently they have to submit there financial documents which they weren't willing to do? The problem is I don't have the money to just move permanently I would rather get temporary then apply for permanent when I get there
Old Mar 29th 2016, 12:21 pm
Still alive

No the company wasn't willing to sponsor as they mentioned that apparently they have to submit there financial documents which they weren't willing to do? The problem is I don't have the money to just move permanently I would rather get temporary then apply for permanent when I get there
There is no temporary visa you could come on. If the company is not willing to sponsor you then you're not going to be taking up this job offer.
Old Mar 29th 2016, 12:30 pm
Forum Regular

? Don't know about that I have spoke to people who have had a temporary working visa and just gone to Australia to find work
Old Mar 29th 2016, 12:33 pm
Lost in the antipodes

msmyrtle has a reputation beyond reputemsmyrtle has a reputation beyond reputemsmyrtle has a reputation beyond reputemsmyrtle has a reputation beyond reputemsmyrtle has a reputation beyond reputemsmyrtle has a reputation beyond reputemsmyrtle has a reputation beyond reputemsmyrtle has a reputation beyond reputemsmyrtle has a reputation beyond reputemsmyrtle has a reputation beyond reputemsmyrtle has a reputation beyond repute

As Dorothy said, without the company willing to sponsor you there is not a lot of hope for a temporary visa.

The other temporary visas have severe restrictions that would most likely not fit into your plans:
-Working holiday visa (417) - You CANNOT bring your dependents over on this visa. Plus you have only 6 months at one employer.
-Recent graduate (476) - I had this visa, and in my years of reading BE I can't honestly say if another poster has had this visa. Anyway, if you are a recent engineering graduate from an approved list of institutions, you can get an 18 month open temporary visa.

Otherwise you'd have to look into a permanent visa application, and that could easily take 6+ months to sort out once you add in the time it takes to get your skills assessed, health and the like.
Old Mar 29th 2016, 12:35 pm
Lost in the antipodes

? Don't know about that I have spoke to people who have had a temporary working visa and just gone to Australia to find work
You might be thinking of working holiday visas? Young people <31 can get a visa that allows them to come over to Australia and start work (ostensibly to fund their holidays).

You can't bring your children over on those.
Old Mar 29th 2016, 12:35 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond repute

In that case they could only have come out on a working holidays visa. For this you need to be between the ages of 18 and 30 and you cannot be accompanied by children. So this is not an option for you.

So if the company will not sponsor, you would have to look into skilled migration. This process is going to take you a fair amount of time, depending on your occupation it could be anything from four or five months to double that or longer. You would also have to see if you actually qualify as a first step. Are you currently a project manager?
Old Mar 29th 2016, 12:36 pm
Still alive

Are you under 31 and willing to leave your wife and children at home while you come over for a year?

I have spoke to people, too. I've also read the DIBP website and have been hanging around Australian immigration forums for about 11 years so kind of know that there is no temporary visa available for you to come over and work while bringing your wife and children if the company is not willing to sponsor you. Don't believe me or msmyrtle? Read for yourself then.....

Australian Government Department of Immigration and Border Protection
Old Mar 29th 2016, 12:38 pm
Forum Regular

Ah OK sorry I must have got mixed up I was told I could obtain a temporary visa, and yes my plan was for skilled migration as I have qualifications and experience and last time I checked my skill was on the wanted list thanks
Old Mar 29th 2016, 12:40 pm
Forum Regular

No I do believe didn't mean it like that just been told differently by others, and I am 31 lol
Old Mar 29th 2016, 12:46 pm
Lost in the antipodes

Not that I think that 31 is old (I'm 35 lol), but you are too old for 417 or 476.

Without employer sponsorship via a 457, your only option is to apply for permanent residency.
Old Mar 29th 2016, 12:49 pm
Forum Regular

OK thankyou for your advice it's much appreciated guess il have to start saving lol, is sponsorship and nomination a option still not sure how it works

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.