Visa help

Old Mar 17th 2005, 5:05 pm
Just Joined

bisto is an unknown quantity at this point
Question Visa help

Hi all, having visited WA twice recently we have of course fallen for the place and had hoped to purchase a garden care franchise to allow us to move to OZ.
The buying of the franchise presents no problems at all, what is our problem is that it seems at the ripe old age of 48 we are considered too old, and because I have not held a managment position with my current employer (26 years) it seems that we are undesireables .
I/we do not posses any skills that would allow us to follow that route either.
I know its a long shot guys but if any of you bright sparks have any secrets you would care to share as far as getting a visa, they would be most welcome.
Cheers All
Old Mar 17th 2005, 7:31 pm

Perthforme is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Visa help

Originally Posted by bisto
Hi all, having visited WA twice recently we have of course fallen for the place and had hoped to purchase a garden care franchise to allow us to move to OZ.
The buying of the franchise presents no problems at all, what is our problem is that it seems at the ripe old age of 48 we are considered too old, and because I have not held a managment position with my current employer (26 years) it seems that we are undesireables .
I/we do not posses any skills that would allow us to follow that route either.
I know its a long shot guys but if any of you bright sparks have any secrets you would care to share as far as getting a visa, they would be most welcome.
Cheers All
Are you sure that you have not done management position at your work
Check with your boss
I am sure that such a nice boss can give you a referance confirming all the many years hard work you have done as manager nudge nudge
Old Mar 17th 2005, 7:39 pm
Bix
da Bonehead

Bix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond repute

That is not as crazy as it sounds.
Sit back and analyse what you do.
Many people are actually managers without realising it - especially in smaller companies.
You do a job for years and take it for granted but managing may be exactly what you are doing.....it's just that you don't carry the job title.
Old Mar 18th 2005, 12:44 am
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

What visa were you planning to apply for and on what basis would buying a franchise help?

Jeremy
Old Mar 18th 2005, 11:12 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by JAJ
What visa were you planning to apply for and on what basis would buying a franchise help?

Jeremy
It would be a business visa hence the need to buy a franchise
Old Mar 18th 2005, 11:17 am
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

It would be a business visa hence the need to buy a franchise

Be very careful. Firstly, you only get a business skilled visa based on your existing track record in the UK - look at booklet 7 on the DIMIA website. You then need to get permanent residence in Australia by setting up a business there (and meeting the requirements for PR), unless you can get immediate PR via the business talent visa.

Your age is also an issue - the temporary visas are closed unless you go for a state-sponsored visa. These may involve additional requirements from the state/territory government.

Also - DIMIA take a close look at franchises and may not accept it if the franchisor has too much control (they may see it as de-facto employment).

You need some very good professional advice before committing yourself.

Jeremy
Old Mar 18th 2005, 11:21 am
Just Joined

Smile Re: Visa help

Originally Posted by JAJ
Be very careful. Firstly, you only get a business skilled visa based on your existing track record in the UK - look at booklet 7 on the DIMIA website. You then need to get permanent residence in Australia by setting up a business there (and meeting the requirements for PR), unless you can get immediate PR via the business talent visa.

Your age is also an issue - the temporary visas are closed unless you go for a state-sponsored visa. These may involve additional requirements from the state/territory government.

Also - DIMIA take a close look at franchises and may not accept it if the franchisor has too much control (they may see it as de-facto employment).

You need some very good professional advice before committing yourself.

Jeremy
You are obviously well up to speed with this, can you suggest any alternative avenues we should be looking at?. Thanks for your time mate.
Old Mar 18th 2005, 11:43 am
Phoenixuk2oz

Originally Posted by Perthforme
Are you sure that you have not done management position at your work
Check with your boss
I am sure that such a nice boss can give you a referance confirming all the many years hard work you have done as manager nudge nudge
I don't want to pee on anyone's bonfire here cos I know best intentions are in mind....but frankly this idea is as nutty as......er...... a bag of nuts

To get in under Management skilled Migration your skills are normally measured by AIM [Australian Institute of Management] and from experience they are absolute b*stards in determining who qualifies under "Exec Management skills" and who doesn't....and regardless as to how they dress things up....it's only at Exec level that you get in.

A mate of mine, highly qualified with Master in Business Administration and at Senior Exec level within his organisation, couldn't get in to Aus as AIM determined his organisation wasn't big / important enough for his skills to actually qualify at Senior Exec level [even though he was one]

He ended up going to NZ

From experience, AIM REALLY put you through the mill. I can assure you you haven't got a cat in hell's chance if you're not a Senior Exec within a large organisation or if your skills are not extensive at this level. You have to demonstrate to the nth degree your skills and abilities and if my memory serves me right you require x years in the job with tertiary qualifications [unless maybe exceptional circumstances].

With all due respect I'd suggest you think carefully before you go down this road. You may be at this level for all I know..but beware, you can't kid a kidder...and DIMIA /AIM are a lot of things...but they aren't stupid

Have you thought of a business visa? Maybe JAJ or someone on here can explain what this is.....or if anything else is available

Good luck. Really, I hope you realise your dream

Old Mar 18th 2005, 11:10 pm
JAJ
Retired

Originally Posted by Phoenixuk2oz
I

A mate of mine, highly qualified with Master in Business Administration and at Senior Exec level within his organisation, couldn't get in to Aus as AIM determined his organisation wasn't big / important enough for his skills to actually qualify at Senior Exec level [even though he was one]

He ended up going to NZ
There is a Senior Executive visa within the business migration program that does not require AIM assessment. However it does have its own requirements (read Booklet 7) and doesn't give immediate PR - you need to get a permanent business visa based on what you do in Australia, or alternatively get sponsored for PR by an employer for ENS/RSMS.

Jeremy
Old Mar 18th 2005, 11:12 pm
JAJ
Retired

You are obviously well up to speed with this, can you suggest any alternative avenues we should be looking at?. Thanks for your time mate.
I can't suggest anything better than visiting http://www.immi.gov.au and seeing if there is a visa that might suit.

But in reality - not everyone can migrate.

For example, if you don't have a skilled occupation then a Skilled visa is unlikely to be an option, and if you don't have a business or investment track record, then a Business visa is unlikely to be granted.

Jeremy