visa granted

Old Jul 27th 2002, 11:11 pm
Forum Regular

Location: St Austell, Cornwall to 'Coff's Harbour NSW, then Adelaide - back to Cornwall- back to Oz hopefully
sue5665 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default visa granted

We have been accepted, moving to Adalaide hopefully in Oct/Nov with 2 boys (10 & 9). The house on the market. but !!
Can anyone reccomend who to ship are stuff with? and is it worth taking furniture, kitchen goods e.t.c
Old Jul 28th 2002, 12:58 am
col
BE Enthusiast

col is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: visa granted

Sue
first up congrats on the visa.
If you want a reputable firm or to see peoples comments on yhem do a search on this forum there's a few threads on the subject. We used GB liners (not the cheepest but have been very helpful).
On what you wish to take is all down to personal choice and how much you want to pay! The rate is on cubic capacity(How much space ) not on weight so take this into consideration.
gb liners are @ www.gbliners.co.uk

Good luck
Old Jul 28th 2002, 4:22 pm
BE Enthusiast

Juls is an unknown quantity at this point

Hello Sue,

Congrats on the visa's, we too hopefully are going to Adelaide maybe mid 2003. (fingers crossed)

I have some shipping sites on AHWC site that I set up have a look.

http://groups.msn.com/Australiaherewecome

Good luck
Julie
Old Jul 28th 2002, 4:29 pm
BE Enthusiast

Juls is an unknown quantity at this point

Hello again Sue,

Forgot to say we are taking more and more furniture every time we chat to my rellies in Adelaide.

You have to take into account the cost of replacing to the cost of shipping, most of our furniture has got several more years life left so it makes since to stump up the shipping costs. Also the size of house will be larger so we'll have more rooms to furnish.

What part of Adelaide do you want to live? we are considering in between Aberfoyle Park and Port Noarlunga to be by our friends and rellies.

Julie
Old Jul 28th 2002, 8:31 pm
Squeaking Member

Anon E Mouse is on a distinguished road

Hi Sue,

Congrats!! Feels great doesn't it?

We'll be using pickfords - about £1900.00 for 500cu feet to Sydney - our stuff goes two weeks on Weds (Argh! Panic!)

Something we thought about is how urgent are bits of furniture? For example we figure that a bed is quite high up on the list and we cant wait 8 weeks for the boat to arrive. Therefore we've sold our bed and will be buying new at the other end.

Stuff like the PC, rugs, books etc we can live without for a bit and so are shipping them

Also, watch out for insurance. Ours has a nasty loading based on high value goods - you might find that given the volume and cost to insure, that it's cheaper to sell.

Anyway, here's an example of what we're taking and what we've sold:-

Sold:
Bed, freezer, washing machine, dishwasher, TV, video, car
(UK white goods could be hard to repair, and freezer may not cope with temperatures)
Take:
Books (10 cartons...) CDs PC, expensive rug, dining room table and chairs, motorbike leathers (cant wait to get a new bike...)

Hope this helps

Mouse
Old Jul 28th 2002, 10:09 pm
BE Enthusiast

shaun/lor is an unknown quantity at this point

hi mouse how big roughly is 500 cu feet in say room size. have i worked it out right, our bathroom is 6' x9' x 8' high multiplied together comes to 432 is that the equasion? maths never was my strong point, well along with all the other things i didnt do at school. cheers shaun and lor
Old Jul 29th 2002, 2:30 pm
Forum Regular

Mike Peters is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi we have just moved to Adelaide A Placse called Chandlers Hill Which is 5 Mins From The Hub At Aberfoyl Park We Used A Shiping Co Called All Fright which we would Highly Rec 1st Class Service And Nothing Missing Or Broken Best Of Luck
P.S. BRING EVERY THING YOU CAN FIT IN

MICK
Old Jul 29th 2002, 4:28 pm
Banned

newstartnz is a jewel in the roughnewstartnz is a jewel in the roughnewstartnz is a jewel in the roughnewstartnz is a jewel in the roughnewstartnz is a jewel in the rough

Originally posted by shaun/lor
hi mouse how big roughly is 500 cu feet in say room size. have i worked it out right, our bathroom is 6' x9' x 8' high multiplied together comes to 432 is that the equasion? maths never was my strong point, well along with all the other things i didnt do at school. cheers shaun and lor
432 is right - cheers
Old Jul 30th 2002, 5:35 pm
Forum Regular

Location: St Austell, Cornwall to 'Coff's Harbour NSW, then Adelaide - back to Cornwall- back to Oz hopefully
sue5665 is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks for all the info everyone, and Juls we have relations in Aldgate and friends in Modbury Heights but we were thinking of Belair/Stirling !!, but we are not sure yet. We will rent for a while and see how it goes.
Thanks Sue
Old Jul 31st 2002, 5:30 pm
Squeaking Member

Anon E Mouse is on a distinguished road

Originally posted by shaun/lor
We just showed the "surveyor" around saying "take that, not that" etc and they magically came to 500cuft... Thinking about it, it does seem small doesn't it? But then we dont have much stuff, and aren't taking washing machine, freezer, bed, wardrobes etc so it might about right.

Bye,
Mouse