Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

visa finally arrived

visa finally arrived

Old Mar 31st 2010, 6:42 pm
Just Joined

paulus is an unknown quantity at this point
Default visa finally arrived

Hi everyone . me and my family are finally moving to geelong in victoria at the end of the year after finally obtaining our visas . What i am after finding out is where are nice places to live /rent in Geelong . And also would it be better financially to bring our white electrical items with us or buy new when we arrive . Many thanks
Old Mar 31st 2010, 9:10 pm
Forum Regular

lynetteh is just really nicelynetteh is just really nicelynetteh is just really nicelynetteh is just really nicelynetteh is just really nicelynetteh is just really nicelynetteh is just really nicelynetteh is just really nice
Default Re: visa finally arrived

From what I can tell most white goods are more expensive in Australia right now, particularly at this exchange rate. My washing machine, which is currently for sale in the UK for about £350 costs $900 in Oz. I know because I have had to value it for our insurance.
Old Mar 31st 2010, 9:34 pm

Centurion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lynetteh
From what I can tell most white goods are more expensive in Australia right now, particularly at this exchange rate. My washing machine, which is currently for sale in the UK for about £350 costs $900 in Oz. I know because I have had to value it for our insurance.
You should probably realise that the price advertised on any white goods are not the price you actually pay. All electrical stores negotiate a substantive amount. Its very annoying and does not allow a true comparison.

Additionally, European brands carry a premium here for no good reason other than the "chic" factor, whilst Asian brands can be cheaper.

The exchange rate is only something that you do once and once you earn dollars it becomes irrelevant and its hard to compare prices using an FX rate, which at the moment will mean that everyone in the UK will find everything in the world very expensive indeed.
Old Apr 1st 2010, 2:28 am
Forum Regular

Poitin is just really nicePoitin is just really nicePoitin is just really nicePoitin is just really nicePoitin is just really nicePoitin is just really nicePoitin is just really nicePoitin is just really nicePoitin is just really nice

[QUOTE=Centurion;8463915]You should probably realise that the price advertised on any white goods are not the price you actually pay. All electrical stores negotiate a substantive amount.

QUOTE]

I didn't know this - how much room for negotiation? Just a rough idea or is it if you can pay cash - discount offered?

I though my haggling days would be over leaving the middle east
Old Apr 1st 2010, 5:36 am
BE Enthusiast

Wendy66 is a glorious beacon of lightWendy66 is a glorious beacon of lightWendy66 is a glorious beacon of lightWendy66 is a glorious beacon of lightWendy66 is a glorious beacon of lightWendy66 is a glorious beacon of lightWendy66 is a glorious beacon of lightWendy66 is a glorious beacon of lightWendy66 is a glorious beacon of lightWendy66 is a glorious beacon of lightWendy66 is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by paulus
Hi everyone . me and my family are finally moving to geelong in victoria at the end of the year after finally obtaining our visas . What i am after finding out is where are nice places to live /rent in Geelong . And also would it be better financially to bring our white electrical items with us or buy new when we arrive . Many thanks
Congratulations

If you are shipping over your furniture etc, then bring what you can fit in the container, we brought all our white goods and glad we did as they all work and what's the point of having new when you'll not get what they are worth selling them.

With regards to live/renting in Geelong, keep looking at www.realestate.com.au they have a sale and rent sections so you can get a 'feel' for prices to rent/buy on there, I wouldn't bother contacting real estate agents just yet as it's a while off and they probably won't be interested when they know the time scale. But do your research and learn prices for areas etc......... then about a month before you come hit all the agents with an email stating you want to view houses etc and they'll be very accomadating, (well all the ones we contacted were) then have your laptop for when you arrive and off you go............... we travelled round alot to find a house NSW and QLD and rang ahead to organise viewings, it worked well and can say that in all honesty all the agents were diamonds giving us so much information on areas/work etc, we finally settled in NSW and the two agents that initially showed us round here are now friends - both (from different agencies) took us under their wing for a day each too show us the area and houses available.