Visa extensions

Old Jan 29th 2004, 12:19 pm
BE Enthusiast

wongstonn is just really nicewongstonn is just really nicewongstonn is just really nicewongstonn is just really nicewongstonn is just really nicewongstonn is just really nicewongstonn is just really nicewongstonn is just really nice
Default Visa extensions

Hi

I have a question about extending independent skilled migration visas once the 5 years is up, assuming that one is living in Australia at the end of the five years, but one has not lived in Australia for the two years required to get citizenship rights. Some background:

We were awarded our independent skilled migration visas nearly a year ago. We have the standard 5 year validity period.

My wife is studying accountancy exams and has learned that they are not recognised in Australia, and would not gain her exemptions for Australian accountancy exams. So we are faced with a choice, move over to Oz and her start her accountancy studies from scratch (would take many years), or get her UK qualification then study for another two years to become a Chartered Accountant - a status recognised in Oz and making it relatively easy (an extra year again) to do the conversion to Australian Chartered status.

Therefore, if by the time the five years is up, does anyone have any knowledge of how easy it is to extend the visa if your are living in Oz?

Thanks

Neil
Old Jan 29th 2004, 1:53 pm

saraliz is a glorious beacon of lightsaraliz is a glorious beacon of lightsaraliz is a glorious beacon of lightsaraliz is a glorious beacon of lightsaraliz is a glorious beacon of lightsaraliz is a glorious beacon of lightsaraliz is a glorious beacon of lightsaraliz is a glorious beacon of lightsaraliz is a glorious beacon of lightsaraliz is a glorious beacon of lightsaraliz is a glorious beacon of light

You wouldn't need to extend your visa after 5 years if you are already in Oz - you are allowed to stay there indefinitely once you have your PR. What does expire is the portion of the visa that allows you to enter Australia - thus if you decided to take a trip overseas after the 5 year period was up you would find that they wouldn't let you back into Australia!

The only way to get around this is by getting a Resident Return Visa (RRV) before leaving Australia which will allow you to re-enter - I believe that to get this you need to demonstrate ties to Australia (hopefully someone else can give you more info on this!).
Old Jan 29th 2004, 9:03 pm

bondipom is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Visa extensions

Originally posted by wongstonn
Hi

I have a question about extending independent skilled migration visas once the 5 years is up, assuming that one is living in Australia at the end of the five years, but one has not lived in Australia for the two years required to get citizenship rights. Some background:

We were awarded our independent skilled migration visas nearly a year ago. We have the standard 5 year validity period.

My wife is studying accountancy exams and has learned that they are not recognised in Australia, and would not gain her exemptions for Australian accountancy exams. So we are faced with a choice, move over to Oz and her start her accountancy studies from scratch (would take many years), or get her UK qualification then study for another two years to become a Chartered Accountant - a status recognised in Oz and making it relatively easy (an extra year again) to do the conversion to Australian Chartered status.

Therefore, if by the time the five years is up, does anyone have any knowledge of how easy it is to extend the visa if your are living in Oz?

Thanks

Neil
When the five years are up you can stay in Oz indefinately.

Your problems will start if you want to travel after the 5 years. Then you will have to obtain an RRV or citizenship and an Aussie passport.

You must meet the following criteria for a five-year Resident Return Visa:
- you have spent 2 of the last 5 years in Australia as an Australian permanent resident; or
- you have substantial and beneficial ties with Australia of a business, cultural, employment or personal nature. In this case, if you have been absent from Australia for 5 years or more since you were last granted a permanent visa, you must provide compelling reasons for the absence; or
- you are a member of the family unit of a Resident Return Visa holder.
Old Jan 29th 2004, 9:06 pm

bondipom is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by saraliz
You wouldn't need to extend your visa after 5 years if you are already in Oz - you are allowed to stay there indefinitely once you have your PR. What does expire is the portion of the visa that allows you to enter Australia - thus if you decided to take a trip overseas after the 5 year period was up you would find that they wouldn't let you back into Australia!

The only way to get around this is by getting a Resident Return Visa (RRV) before leaving Australia which will allow you to re-enter - I believe that to get this you need to demonstrate ties to Australia (hopefully someone else can give you more info on this!).
If you stay in OZ your PR status remains intact and no further action is necesary.

http://www.immi.gov.au/e_visa/migrate.htm for details on how to obtain an RRV. If you are eligible an RRV can be obtained on line in 2 days.
Old Jan 30th 2004, 7:16 pm

Elaine M has much to be proud ofElaine M has much to be proud ofElaine M has much to be proud ofElaine M has much to be proud ofElaine M has much to be proud ofElaine M has much to be proud ofElaine M has much to be proud ofElaine M has much to be proud ofElaine M has much to be proud ofElaine M has much to be proud ofElaine M has much to be proud of
Default Re: Visa extensions

Hi

Thanks

Neil
Hi Neil,

Which Institute is your wife studying with? I thought all the UK CCAB bodies were recognised now.

I'm a CIPFA accountant and I got my institute recognised by the ICAA in Australia so the problem can be overcome, but it took me a while to go through the process.

Elaine
Old Jan 30th 2004, 7:35 pm
BE Enthusiast

wongstonn is just really nicewongstonn is just really nicewongstonn is just really nicewongstonn is just really nicewongstonn is just really nicewongstonn is just really nicewongstonn is just really nicewongstonn is just really nice

First of all, thanks to everyone that has responded.

In answer to Elaine's question, my wife is currently studying at the technician level of the AAT exams and works within the public sector. Having to AAT under her belt in the UK would give her exemptions for ACCA, or by a slightly more convoluted route ACA (I hope I have my jargon right here - I'm not an accountant).

She seems to have concluded that the AAT will not derive her any benefit Down Under either by way of exemptions in higher accountancy qualifications, or only being required to do bridging courses, or going directly in the job market.

Thus she feels 'compelled' to go to ACA/ACCA in the UK before we go to Australia where only some bridging courses will be required to recognised at a high standard.

Cheers

Neil
Old Jan 30th 2004, 7:39 pm
Bix
da Bonehead

Bix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond repute

[QUOTE]Originally posted by wongstonn
(I hope I have my jargon right here - I'm not an accountant).

But you sound like one Neil !!

Old Jan 30th 2004, 7:52 pm
BE Enthusiast

Touche

Neil
Old Jan 30th 2004, 7:56 pm

Elaine M has much to be proud ofElaine M has much to be proud ofElaine M has much to be proud ofElaine M has much to be proud ofElaine M has much to be proud ofElaine M has much to be proud ofElaine M has much to be proud ofElaine M has much to be proud ofElaine M has much to be proud ofElaine M has much to be proud ofElaine M has much to be proud of

First of all, thanks to everyone that has responded.

In answer to Elaine's question, my wife is currently studying at the technician level of the AAT exams and works within the public sector. Having to AAT under her belt in the UK would give her exemptions for ACCA, or by a slightly more convoluted route ACA (I hope I have my jargon right here - I'm not an accountant).

She seems to have concluded that the AAT will not derive her any benefit Down Under either by way of exemptions in higher accountancy qualifications, or only being required to do bridging courses, or going directly in the job market.

Thus she feels 'compelled' to go to ACA/ACCA in the UK before we go to Australia where only some bridging courses will be required to recognised at a high standard.

Cheers

Neil
Neil,

I'm in the public sector too (central govt) - hence I did CIPFA which is the public sector accountancy body (Chartered Institute of Public Finance and Accountancy before anyone picks me up for jargon too).

I assume your wife has checked about AAT not being recognised in Aus? If so, you could look at the Aus equivalent (if there is one) and compare her current syllabus with that. If they're pretty similar (I'd imagine they would be) she could apply to the Aus institute for recognition of the AAT as an equivalent qualification. That's basically what I did with the ICAA.

She'd probably need the help of her institute and almost certainly a lot of persistence but it might be worthwhile if you want to migrate sooner.

Just a thought - pm me if you want to discuss further.

Elaine
Old Jan 30th 2004, 8:24 pm
BE Enthusiast

Thanks for that, Elaine. I'll definately talk to her about what you've written.

I'll also try getting her to hypnotise me so that I can erase all memory of accountancy jargon fom my meagre mind in case Bix gets me again!

Old Jan 30th 2004, 8:25 pm
Bix
da Bonehead

Bix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for that, Elaine. I'll definately talk to her about what you've written.

I'll also try getting her to hypnotise me so that I can erase all memory of accountancy jargon fom my meagre mind in case Bix gets me again!

Touche