British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Australia (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/)
-   -   Visa in diff. passport (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/visa-diff-passport-107454/)

Pam12 Aug 31st 2002 2:04 am

Visa in diff. passport

Dear All,

I am currently in OZ using my British passport. But I have my NZ visa on my German passport.

Will there be any problems in NZ Immigration, because my German passpor (Which has NZ visa) has not "Exit STamp" from OZ immigration. Will NZ immigration check for the last exit stamp?

I'll prefer not to show my British passport.

Any advise is greatly appreciated.

Thanks.
Pam

Jaj Aug 31st 2002 7:07 am

Re: Visa in diff. passport

Use your German passport. If they ask the question - which they probably won't, as
many countries don't stamp passports on exit - then tell the truth.

There's nothing illegal about having two passports. Just keep things simple by:
- only showing one passport on arrival (unless specifically asked about the
other); and
- always exist a country on the same passport used to enter it.

Jeremy

>On Sat, 31 Aug 2002 02:04:34 +0000, Pam12 <[email protected]> wrote:
    >Dear All,
    >I am currently in OZ using my British passport. But I have my NZ visa on my German
    >passport.
    >Will there be any problems in NZ Immigration, because my German passpor (Which has
    >NZ visa) has not "Exit STamp" from OZ immigration. Will NZ immigration check for the
    >last exit stamp?
    >I'll prefer not to show my British passport.
    >Any advise is greatly appreciated.
    >Thanks. Pam
    >--
    >Posted via http://britishexpats.com

4Christ Aug 31st 2002 8:31 am

Jeremy, Is this also working perfectly with passports from the same country? Say, two legal passports from country X. I have found some weird reasons/advises in obtaining second passports from the same country, such as certain visa in a passport (e.i. Israeli one) could make the passport unacceptable for other country (ei. Syrian/Iraq). Is this "rejection" thing really happening, and a good reason to obtain the second passports? Because I am thinking to have two passports for that reason.

Cheers,
One to have travel vreedom.

Originally posted by Jaj:
Use your German passport. If they ask the question - which they probably won't, as

other); and

Jeremy

>Dear All,
    >I am currently in OZ using my British passport. But I have my NZ visa on my German
    >passport.
    >Will there be any problems in NZ Immigration, because my German passpor (Which has
    >NZ visa) has not "Exit STamp" from OZ immigration. Will NZ immigration check for the
    >last exit stamp?
    >Thanks. Pam
    >--

Jaj Aug 31st 2002 11:31 pm

Do you mean having two passports from the same country?

Many governments don't like issuing two valid passports to one person at the same
time, but they will do so if you have a good reason, such as visa stamps from one
country that will prevent you travelling to another country.

However, if you are visiting Israel you should ask them if they will put your visa or
entry stamp onto a separate piece of paper (I've heard Israel is understanding about
this, or at least it used to be).

Having two passports from separate countries is entirely legal as long as the law of
neither country forbids it. However, under international law, if you are a dual
citizen you cannot call on diplomatic protection in the country of your second
citizenship. For example, a dual British/US citizen has no right to call on the
British consular authorities if he gets into trouble with the Americans (eg he would
not be able to use his British citizenship to avoid a military draft in the US).

Anyone who has connections with another country - whether by birth, residence or
descent - should always consider whether that other country might consider them a
citizen (even if they've never been there nor carried its passport). Often this can
bring opportunities, but often can bring problems such as being liable for military
service if you go back there on a visit.

Jeremy

>On Sat, 31 Aug 2002 08:31:29 +0000, 4Christ <[email protected]> wrote:
    >Jeremy, Is this also working perfectly with passports from the same country? Say,
    >two legal passports from country X. I have found some weird reasons/advises in
    >obtaining second passports from the same country, such as certain visa in a
    >passport (e.i. Israeli one) could make the passport unacceptable for other country
    >(ei. Syrian/Iraq). Is this "rejection" thing really happening, and a good reason
    >to obtain the second passports? Because I am thinking to have two passports for
    >that reason.
    >Cheers, One to have travel vreedom.

Pam12 Sep 1st 2002 1:59 am

Thanks for the explanation, Jeremy. I also hope nothing serious will happen, since its a total legal issues.

Anyone who have same experience?

Pam

other); and

Jeremy

>Dear All,
    >passport.
    >last exit stamp?
    >Thanks. Pam
    >--

Pam12 Sep 1st 2002 9:47 am

Re: JAJ further questions (help)

Dear Jeremy and others,

At Sydney Airport
Could you advise me which passport to show: in airline check in? When I show my NZ visa passport, will they ask me about my Australian visa (which is in other passport?)

at the immigration counter, will they ask me where is my destination (and when I say NZ, will they ask me about by NZ Visa, which is in other passport?)

Thanks.
Pam

Jaj Sep 1st 2002 8:59 pm

The airline will be concerned with your right to enter NZ => show your German
passport.

When going through Australian exit controls, show the same passport that you entered
Australia with => your British passport.

What kind of visas have you got anyway. Normally German citizens don't need tourist
visas to enter New Zealand, and both countries qualify for the ETA in Australia.

Jeremy

>On Sun, 01 Sep 2002 09:47:11 +0000, Pam12 <[email protected]> wrote:
    >Dear Jeremy and others,
    >At Sydney Airport Could you advise me which passport to show: in airline check in?
    >When I show my NZ visa passport, will they ask me about my Australian visa (which is
    >in other passport?)
    >at the immigration counter, will they ask me where is my destination (and when I say
    >NZ, will they ask me about by NZ Visa, which is in other passport?)
    >Thanks. Pam
    >--

Pam12 Sep 1st 2002 11:19 pm

Thanks alots.

Actually I have NZ PR on my German passport. This is my second travel to NZ under the same visa. I always fly "almost" directly to NZ and use german passport ALL the time. things get complicated when I started to use my brit passport, and the reason of my reluctance to show my british passport is my overstaying status in australia (probably will be stamp in the passport ??!@##$?))

Thanks alots Jeremy.

Pam

The airline will be concerned with your right to enter NZ => show your German
passport.

When going through Australian exit controls, show the same passport that you entered
Australia with => your British passport.

What kind of visas have you got anyway. Normally German citizens don't need tourist
visas to enter New Zealand, and both countries qualify for the ETA in Australia.

Jeremy

>On Sun, 01 Sep 2002 09:47:11 +0000, Pam12 <[email protected]> wrote:
    >Dear Jeremy and others,
    >At Sydney Airport Could you advise me which passport to show: in airline check in?
    >When I show my NZ visa passport, will they ask me about my Australian visa (which is
    >in other passport?)
    >at the immigration counter, will they ask me where is my destination (and when I say
    >NZ, will they ask me about by NZ Visa, which is in other passport?)
    >Thanks. Pam
    >--

Peter Tomo Sep 2nd 2002 7:59 am

> Actually I have NZ PR on my German passport. This is my second travel to NZ under
    > the same visa. I always fly "almost" directly to NZ and use german passport ALL the
    > time. things get complicated when I started to use my brit passport, and the reason
    > of my reluctance to show my british passport is my overstaying status in australia
    > (probably will be stamp in the passport ??!@##$?))

Pam, I don't know how strict OZ is about overstaying your status in OZ, but thinking
about the refugee camps.....

I'm sure that Israeli Border has a very good entry/exit and person database. If
you overstay a short time there, have an explanation and regret/say sorry at
border, and you're from a good country (ie no 3rd world/Eastern Europe), than you
can enter again.

In other case, you're not allowed to enter Israel, even if you get new passport with
new number etc from the same country. I have no idea what happens if you enter on a
passport from different country.

However, if you're planning to apply for OZ PR in future, I'd think about making your
"British in OZ status" clean now. IMO they'll find out that you've been there on
British passport and overstayed the visa. If it's only few days/weeks you overstayed
it, and you have some friends, invitation etc, I'd ask at local DIMIA or what office
to make your status clean over the desk, without giving them your passport etc in
hands. If they say it's impossible, I would escape from office with my documents, so
they won't deport you at the moment.

Actually, I have 2 passports from my native Central/Eastern European country, and in
2 days I'm hopefully getting the 3rd one. Reasons can vary: I want to hold PR in more
countries at the same time (Ireland, OZ and then automatically NZ), and to get other
citizenships this way.

Jaj Sep 2nd 2002 10:14 am

>On 2 Sep 2002 00:59:39 -0700, [email protected] (Peter Tomo) wrote:
    >> Actually I have NZ PR on my German passport. This is my second travel to NZ under
    >> the same visa. I always fly "almost" directly to NZ and use german passport ALL
    >> the time. things get complicated when I started to use my brit passport, and the
    >> reason of my reluctance to show my british passport is my overstaying status in
    >> australia (probably will be stamp in the passport ??!@##$?))

>However, if you're planning to apply for OZ PR in future, I'd think about making
    >your "British in OZ status" clean now. IMO they'll find out that you've been there
    >on British passport and overstayed the visa.

Australia has a pretty sophisticated system of tracking people as they come into and
out of the country. If someone has overstayed, they'll certainly know about it.

If you overstay for 28 days or more, there's normally an automatic three year ban on
returning on a visitor or temporary visa. There's no automatic ban on applying for
PR, but an overstay might cause a problem with character ...

>If it's only few days/weeks you overstayed it, and you have some friends, invitation
    >etc, I'd ask at local DIMIA or what office to make your status clean over the desk,
    >without giving them your passport etc in hands. If they say it's impossible, I would
    >escape from office with my documents, so they won't deport you at the moment.

Anyone who is in Australia and has overstayed their visa should get professional
advice *before* approaching the Department of Immigration. Either from a migration
agent or somewhere like IARC in Sydney
http://www.iarc.asn.au

Often if the person has made arrangements to leave Australia, the Department will
give him or her a bridging visa E to avoid the need for detention before departure.
This does not avoid the imposition of a re-entry ban.

>Actually, I have 2 passports from my native Central/Eastern European country, and in
    >2 days I'm hopefully getting the 3rd one.

From the same country? Normally countries are very reluctant to give a second
passport to the same person, let alone a third one.

> Reasons can vary: I want to hold PR in more countries at the same time (Ireland,

There's no such thing as permanent residence under the current immigration laws
in Ireland.

>OZ and then automatically NZ), and to get other citizenships this way.

It is possible to hold Australian and NZ permanent residence at the same time, but
you would risk losing one or both if you didn't meet residence requirements to keep
them. Why you think you need two passports to do this - if that's what you really
want to do - is something of a mystery.

It is of course possible to hold Australian and New Zealand citizenship
simultaneously. But depending on what European country you're from, you might find
you automatically lose your home citizenship if you register or naturalise as a
citizen elsewhere.

Jeremy