Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

visa company - yes or no?

visa company - yes or no?

Old Jul 19th 2004, 4:06 pm
Just Joined

toothfairy is an unknown quantity at this point
Default visa company - yes or no?

Hi All! I'm brand new to this, so please be gentle! Apologies if this thread has been posted a million times - but we're in the process of finding out how best to go about things to get ourselves over to Brisbane - I spoke to a lovely helpful man that would help us get visas etc sorted - for £3000 - is it worth the money?? Is this expensive?? Is it just as easy to sort these things out yourself?? Please help!
Old Jul 19th 2004, 4:29 pm
Paddington Brisbane

BKate is a jewel in the roughBKate is a jewel in the roughBKate is a jewel in the roughBKate is a jewel in the roughBKate is a jewel in the rough
Default Re: visa company - yes or no?

Hi,

I don't know about the worth it bit, I'm sure someone else will comment on that but best to get other quotes. Two agents I know of who post on here are www.gomatilda.com and www.austimmigration.com.au always lots of good comments on them.

Good Luck
Old Jul 19th 2004, 4:42 pm

bridiej is an unknown quantity at this point

HOW MUCH! :scared: :scared: :scared:

I had no idea these companies charged so much - will probably do our own then, although will check out those links to see if they charge a similar amount.
Old Jul 19th 2004, 4:52 pm
Forum Regular

asfry is an unknown quantity at this point

You wanna try the states then!!

We were quoted from several companies almost £10,000 for their services.

We paid about £3,000 all in all and although it sounds like a lot, it's worth it for a new life. This includes all the government processing fees, skills assesment etc..
Old Jul 19th 2004, 4:58 pm
no longer searching

walaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond repute

you should be interested in this thread

btw welcome to the forum, that if you are anything like many others you will soon be hooked upon
Old Jul 19th 2004, 5:08 pm

bridiej is an unknown quantity at this point

Thank you for thread and also welcome - yes, am hooked already!
Old Jul 19th 2004, 5:20 pm

lucyb is an unknown quantity at this point

That does sound like an awful lot...we are using 1st Contact in London and I def. recommend them. www.1stcontact.co.uk They are costing £1762 including VAT.

Welcome to the forum!

Lucy
Old Jul 19th 2004, 6:03 pm
Down Under and Lovin It

Jacko1 will become famous soon enough

Originally posted by toothfairy
Hi All! I'm brand new to this, so please be gentle! Apologies if this thread has been posted a million times - but we're in the process of finding out how best to go about things to get ourselves over to Brisbane - I spoke to a lovely helpful man that would help us get visas etc sorted - for £3000 - is it worth the money?? Is this expensive?? Is it just as easy to sort these things out yourself?? Please help!

I'm in the wrong business!!
Most of the info is in the public domain.

However, in complex cases the right agent is a must, shop around.

PJ
Old Jul 19th 2004, 6:04 pm
Forum Regular

gwrees is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by lucyb
That does sound like an awful lot...we are using 1st Contact in London and I def. recommend them. www.1stcontact.co.uk They are costing £1762 including VAT.

Welcome to the forum!

Lucy

1st Contact only charged me 600 quid. I did the TRA on my own, they did the rest. Suberb they were too, sent application of 1st august, visa recieved june the something.
Old Jul 19th 2004, 6:27 pm
Geordie in Oz

smiley_uk is an unknown quantity at this point

I am using OE Visas based in Edinburgh (although they have offices across the UK). They charged around £1500 and have done everything...... just waiting for the visa to drop through the door ... hopefully.
Old Jul 19th 2004, 7:58 pm
She's Diddy, He's Not

diddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond repute

Loads of people do it on their own. It really depends on if you have any potential difficult issues with your visa.

If your'e under 30 have 60 or 70 points for your skill, speak Englsih as a first language and have worked in your skill for 3 years, then I wouldn't bother.

If however, you have lower points, health issues, crime history or anything else that may make application far from certain then get one.

Don't forget, any difficult questions are often answered on here.

If you do go for an agent, then shop around. Two blokes who are really helpful on this site and completely know their stuff are Alan Collett and George Lombard. I think someone above recommended them also. Otherwise search on here for them - Alan is Go Matilda. George also has his own site.

Let us know how you get on.

Paul.
Old Jul 19th 2004, 9:35 pm
j&s
Forum Regular

j&s is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi Toothfairy - welcome from me too.

We are using an agent - Concept Australia - in Manchester and they seem really good, very knowledgeable. £1000 inc VAT plus all visa charges. Having found this forum, I think if you have a simple case and age, language, skills aren't a problem - try yourself.

Age is against us (hubby very, very, old!!), and we have a specific timescale to fit in with kiddies exams etc so think the money is justified - also takes away some of the risk and stress (although I am still waiting for the post every day wondering if there is anything!!).

Good luck with everything, its certainly a rollercoaster ride - you've just got to buy a ticket and go for it! Sooo many cliches ...

J&S
Old Jul 19th 2004, 9:38 pm
BE Enthusiast

darkless has a brilliant futuredarkless has a brilliant futuredarkless has a brilliant futuredarkless has a brilliant futuredarkless has a brilliant futuredarkless has a brilliant future

Originally posted by diddy
Loads of people do it on their own. It really depends on if you have any potential difficult issues with your visa.

If your'e under 30 have 60 or 70 points for your skill, speak Englsih as a first language and have worked in your skill for 3 years, then I wouldn't bother.

If however, you have lower points, health issues, crime history or anything else that may make application far from certain then get one.

Don't forget, any difficult questions are often answered on here.

If you do go for an agent, then shop around. Two blokes who are really helpful on this site and completely know their stuff are Alan Collett and George Lombard. I think someone above recommended them also. Otherwise search on here for them - Alan is Go Matilda. George also has his own site.

Let us know how you get on.

Paul.

I agree with this too.

I would just add that if you have the time and inclination, then I found it a worth while exercise as it helped me to appreciate the enormity of the move. I actually felt that such a move was deserving of a significant amount of effort from me into making sure it happened.
Old Jul 19th 2004, 10:56 pm
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Definitely get some other quotes - it's likely you'll be able to find a good agent quoting less (although these quotes will not include DIMIA fees).

Ask the agents mentioned on this thread for quotes and you may be surprised.

Also check the MARA database - http://www.themara.com.au before choosing an agent. The first two digits of an agents 7 digit registration number signify the year of first registration. Some agents have prior experience (eg working for DIMIA), others may not. Ask the questions ...

Jeremy

Originally posted by toothfairy