Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Visa and Citizenship

Visa and Citizenship

Old Mar 24th 2004, 12:02 pm
Wannabee Queenslander

badri has a brilliant futurebadri has a brilliant futurebadri has a brilliant futurebadri has a brilliant futurebadri has a brilliant futurebadri has a brilliant future
Default Visa and Citizenship

Hi All,

I have a question I hope it doesn't sound stupid.

When the Dima approves the application what kind of Visa will provided.

Does the DIMA approval means that you will automatically become Australian citizen.

I am a Dutch citizen and as per dutch laws I might lose the dutch nationality if I choose the Australian nationality.

Can any help or provide more information.

Thanks folks
Badri
Old Mar 24th 2004, 12:33 pm
BE Enthusiast

Trevglas has a brilliant futureTrevglas has a brilliant futureTrevglas has a brilliant futureTrevglas has a brilliant futureTrevglas has a brilliant futureTrevglas has a brilliant future

Generally I believe you will get a permanent residency visa, although in some cases it will be a provisional visa (for instance a spouse visa if you havent been married 5 years and have no kids)

As for citizenship, you have to apply for that once you have been resident in Australia for 2 years on a permanent residency visa. If you dont want to get citizenship, you dont have to, although it is encouraged.

Your permanent residency visa lasts 5 years (?), and although when it has run out, you are free to stay in Australia. You will have to apply for a returning residents visa if you leave the country however
Old Mar 24th 2004, 8:07 pm

bondipom is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Visa and Citizenship

Originally posted by badri
Hi All,

I have a question I hope it doesn't sound stupid.

When the Dima approves the application what kind of Visa will provided.

Does the DIMA approval means that you will automatically become Australian citizen.

I am a Dutch citizen and as per dutch laws I might lose the dutch nationality if I choose the Australian nationality.

Can any help or provide more information.

Thanks folks
Badri
JAJ in the immigration forum mentioned some complications in relation to Dutch citizenship and obtaining Australian citizenship. Simone82 might be familiar with the rules.

Aussie citizenship is not automatic after the 2 years residency as a PR.