Reload this Page >

Which Visa to apply for.

Which Visa to apply for.

Old Apr 15th 2005, 2:43 pm
Just Joined

afcno9 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Which Visa to apply for.

Hi.
My girlfriend and i are just about to apply for working holiday visas. She is an RMN and i will be looking for work as a care assistant within mental health. My girlfriend seemed to think that applying for a temp visa was the best way to start as we werent sure where we want to ultimatley set up base so to speak. I thought that if you get PR then you have to stay in the same place for 1 year, which wouldnt be good for us as we wanted travel around a bit until we find somewhere nice and then apply for PR.

What do you think?

Would we be better of applying for PR at the beginning.

Many Thanks!!!!!
Old Apr 15th 2005, 2:49 pm
Tupperware's #1 fan

JayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud of
Default Re: Which Visa to apply for.

Originally Posted by afcno9
Hi.
My girlfriend and i are just about to apply for working holiday visas. She is an RMN and i will be looking for work as a care assistant within mental health. My girlfriend seemed to think that applying for a temp visa was the best way to start as we werent sure where we want to ultimatley set up base so to speak. I thought that if you get PR then you have to stay in the same place for 1 year, which wouldnt be good for us as we wanted travel around a bit until we find somewhere nice and then apply for PR.

What do you think?

Many Thanks!!!!!
Once you have PR on a skilled Indepandant visa (which I am asuming you would be entitled to apply for as you girlfriend is a nurse) then you can live and work anywhere you want, it also means you can apply for citizenship after 2 years. where as on a WHm visa you have to leave after a year, This can shortly be extended to another 1yr whm visa but only if you work harvesting for a min of 3 months (from what I understand)

So basically yes if you intend on staying longer than a year and being able to apply for citizenship quicker then the PR would have been the better route to take, However it does cost a lot more and takes longer to get granted than a WHMakers visa

Kala
Old Apr 15th 2005, 2:49 pm
Bitter and twisted

Grayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond repute

Hi.

What do you think?

Many Thanks!!!!!
Have replied on the nursing forum

G
Old Apr 15th 2005, 3:01 pm
Just Joined

Thanks for your replies.Do you know if I being classified as unskilled could be granted a PR visa on the merits of my gfriends Skilled independant PR? I am looking through the blurb now but if anyone knows then that would be even better!!!!

Thanks again for the replies.
Old Apr 15th 2005, 3:05 pm
Bitter and twisted

Grayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for your replies.Do you know if I being classified as unskilled could be granted a PR visa on the merits of my gfriends Skilled independant PR? I am looking through the blurb now but if anyone knows then that would be even better!!!!

Thanks again for the replies.
Your Girlfriend would get a visa easily. I assume you would have to prove a de facto relationship.

Others may know better

Good luck

G
Old Apr 15th 2005, 3:09 pm
Just Joined

Any idea if applying for this type of visa whilst on a working holiday VISA in Oz would prove difficult?

Btw, any idea of the costs involved in the Independant skilled visa???

Again, thankyou. Youre most helpful.
Old Apr 15th 2005, 3:15 pm
Tupperware's #1 fan

JayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud ofJayDeee has much to be proud of

Any idea if applying for this type of visa whilst on a working holiday VISA in Oz would prove difficult?

You can go on your girlfriends visa as long as you meet the criteria as a spouse.

You might want to ask the mods to move this thread to the Immigration part of the forum as there will be more people in there who are more up to date as a lot of people in here are already in Australia and the rules they got their visa on may have changed.

Kala
Old Apr 15th 2005, 3:15 pm
Bitter and twisted

My son went on a WHV and then applied for a PR visa onshore sponsored by an Australian employer. (I am not sure of the exact circumstances as it was long before I had even thought of migrating).

I am sure your partner coud find a sponsor in this way but it may tie you to the employer for a while.

I do not know about yourself.

I am assuming you are both young enough to get a WHV in which case a skilled visa would not be too difficult. The de facto bit I do not know.

I am sure someone on here could answer you.

Failing that it may be worth consulting an agent.

G
Old Apr 15th 2005, 3:20 pm
Just Joined

If an independant skilled visa was granted would we then be free to work as and where we pleased?
Old Apr 15th 2005, 3:26 pm
Tupperware's #1 fan

If an independant skilled visa was granted would we then be free to work as and where we pleased?
Yes you both would and you would

Kala
Old Apr 15th 2005, 3:28 pm
Just Joined

Cheers all!!!
Old Apr 15th 2005, 7:00 pm
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

It might prove difficult as working holiday makers will have 'breaks' in skilled work experience that can make them ineligible for skilled independent.

If you want to move to Australia, and not just visit, then the proper way is to get a migration visa from the start and then you avoid all the hassles of temporary status. Of which there are many.

Information on costs, eligibility etc is on the DIMIA website, the Skilled Migration Booklet is a good place to start.

Jeremy