British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Australia (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/)
-   -   VISA application Virgin - need help! (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/visa-application-virgin-need-help-335684/)

geirisch Nov 5th 2005 2:06 pm

VISA application Virgin - need help!

Hi ya,

I need some help with this - have some basic questions.

I'm a 29 year old german living in ireland for 8 years + 1 year in Edinburgh and 1 year working holiday in OZ - and I want to go back - can you blame me.

I'm a qualified Painter Decorator - 60 points! yeepee.

1. - What does the assesment of my skills involve? Do you just check my papers or do I have to go through a test?

2. - I haven't worked much as a painter in the past 4 years - actually not at all - what way do they check if you have or have not worked within your profession? (I have been working within Tech Support in an IT environment - any good?)

3. - I'll be having to do one of these IELTS Language tests - has anyone done them - how difficult are they? (I think I wouldn't do to bad - but could I avoid the test if I get myself and Irish Passport and pretend I'm english native?)

Thanks in advance - good luck to anyone that is waiting for their VISA!!!

Geirisch (nickname I was given in Cairns...)

Nicky & Dave Nov 5th 2005 3:07 pm

Re: VISA application Virgin - need help!

Hi geirisch,

Welcome to the forum - I can't help about the skills assessment questions, I'm afraid, but you'll probably be better to repost your question on the Oz Immigration forum, as you might get some pointers/free advice from one of the immigration agents, like George Lombard, on there.

Also, look for recent posting started by Professional Princess about IELTS on the Immigration forum. I've done the General IELTS so I can give you some info on this, but it'll be later as the rugby started on the telly and I want to watch it, sorry!

Cheers,

Nicky

rossifumi Nov 5th 2005 3:34 pm

Re: VISA application Virgin - need help!

Originally Posted by geirisch
Hi ya,

I need some help with this - have some basic questions.

I'm a 29 year old german living in ireland for 8 years + 1 year in Edinburgh and 1 year working holiday in OZ - and I want to go back - can you blame me.

I'm a qualified Painter Decorator - 60 points! yeepee.

1. - What does the assesment of my skills involve? Do you just check my papers or do I have to go through a test?

2. - I haven't worked much as a painter in the past 4 years - actually not at all - what way do they check if you have or have not worked within your profession? (I have been working within Tech Support in an IT environment - any good?)

3. - I'll be having to do one of these IELTS Language tests - has anyone done them - how difficult are they? (I think I wouldn't do to bad - but could I avoid the test if I get myself and Irish Passport and pretend I'm english native?)

Thanks in advance - good luck to anyone that is waiting for their VISA!!!

Geirisch (nickname I was given in Cairns...)

Just for info Geirisch, bearing in mind the various countries that you have lived in for more than 12 months, here is a quote from

www.immi.gov.au

Police checks

You are also required to provide police checks as evidence of whether you can meet character requirements

You must provide police checks for yourself and each of your dependants (whether migrating or not) who are aged 16 years or over. You should obtain a police check for each country in which you or your dependants have resided during the last 10 years where:

the period of residence was 12 months or longer (in total)
the person was aged 16 years or over at the time of residence.
You must provide the department with originals of police checks. These will generally not be returned to you, so you should make copies for your own records.

Regards

Rich