visa

Old Jan 13th 2003, 6:41 am
can`t believe we made it!

hanley is an unknown quantity at this point
Question visa

Hi we are just on the begining of what looks like a very long road to emigrating to oz.Can anyone give me any advice on where to begin, do we apply to australia house for a visa (my husband is a plumber and we want to live and work in australia).
do you advise on going to a imigration agency? or doing it yourself(costs)
how long are visa`s taking we heard about 20 months is that about right?
we would apreciate any help you can give us.
Old Jan 13th 2003, 8:50 am
BE Enthusiast

andie is an unknown quantity at this point

hi, we are hopefully nearing the end, got medicals this fri. to get started we attended a seminar in london. we got loads of information etc, and used a migration agent, concept australia in manchester. we have been waiting 18months, its been really awful, waiting this long, all the doubts etc. subscribe to the australian news, its a good read. good luck, jackie.:PARTY:
Old Jan 13th 2003, 8:57 am

Thanks Jackie do you have to pay for your visa when you apply for it or when you have been granted your visa?
i think the seminar sounds a good idea i`ll see if i can find any comming up.I really want to get started as soon as poss as it seems like a very long journey.
hope everything goes great for you
thanks!
kerrie
Old Jan 13th 2003, 8:59 am
BE Enthusiast

me again, try, www.emigrate2003.co.uk :scared:
Old Jan 13th 2003, 9:01 am

thanks i`ll give that a try !
Old Jan 13th 2003, 9:07 am
BE Enthusiast

you pay for visas later, first you need to get your skills accepted, i would reccomend an agent to sort it all out, it can take afew weeks to put it all together. lots of paperwork. our agent cost around £500 (if i remember right its been ages) . give a few agents a ring and get some figures. you have to be in the same trade for quite a while to get passed, i think the points are a bit higher now as well.
Old Jan 13th 2003, 9:19 am

I think your right about an agent it sounds to complicated to do it ourselves and it`s something you don`t want to get wrong:lecture: My husband has been a plumber for about 15 years but i`m not sure if the qualifications would be the same over there? I have a long lost family in oz who i havn`t seen for about 20 years but i`m thinking of becomming quite friendly to them (if you know what i`m saying)
If i was to contact an agent they would do eveything that was needed to help us apply for the visa`s would they?
Have you visited oz before ? as we havn`t and are wondering if that is completly mad!
Old Jan 13th 2003, 9:38 am
BE Enthusiast

where in oz do you want to go.

Last edited by andie; Jan 13th 2003 at 9:42 am.
Old Jan 13th 2003, 9:38 am
BE Enthusiast

once you get on here its hard to turn off isnt it, i got loads to do!!!!! oh well, hubby aint here so who cares!!!
im pretty sure plumbers are needed in oz, you shouldnt have a problem with skills, the younger you are the more points as well. obviously you have to be fit and well etc. my hubby has got over on trades, hes a mechanic.
we applied for oz before ever visiting, we were just going to move over and hope for the best. but as the months dragged on very slowly, we visited a few months ago, went all over brisbane, it was fantastic, we loved it and cant wait to emmigrate, everybody says its easier to come back to uk if we hate it, so its worth trying it out, weve got kids and its got to be a better life for them over there, the only drawback of course is leaving family and friends but im sure they,ll all be wanting free holidays. i really would just have a word with an agent, even if you dont use one, just get a bit of advise to get you started, start getting your info ready for skills, references from employer, you have to be in constant employment for about 5 yrs i think, no change in trade. have fun, its a long wait. jackie
Old Jan 13th 2003, 9:50 am

Thanks jackie you have really helped, it is Brisbane we are hopping to go to.we also have 2 children and think it would be a fantastic experience if nothing else!
you`ve given me something to think about while i get on with the hoovering i may give some agents a ring as well.
many thanks
Old Jan 13th 2003, 9:52 am

good luck with your medicals!
Old Jan 13th 2003, 9:57 am
BE Enthusiast

so really your saying ive gotta get on with the hoovering!!!!!! let us know how you get on. you will love brissy, take care. jacke.
Old Jan 13th 2003, 11:42 am
BE Forum Addict

mashiraz is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: visa

Have you downloaded the free booklet off the website

www.immi.gov.au

First place to start. They are quoting 50 weeks approx for new applications for Skilled independant, which are all processed in Adelaide.

Good Luck. You've found us which is a big step in the right direction!!!

Mash...

Originally posted by hanley
Hi we are just on the begining of what looks like a very long road to emigrating to oz.Can anyone give me any advice on where to begin, do we apply to australia house for a visa (my husband is a plumber and we want to live and work in australia).
do you advise on going to a imigration agency? or doing it yourself(costs)
how long are visa`s taking we heard about 20 months is that about right?
we would apreciate any help you can give us.
Old Jan 13th 2003, 12:01 pm

Thanks i`ll have a look i didn`t know about that!
Old Jan 13th 2003, 3:33 pm

Thanks mash thats given me some bed time reading! i`ve just finished printing it all out, i think i might have a go applying myself as long as i go step by step can`t see you can go that far wrong! did you apply yourself or through an agency?
thanks very much for your help, so pleased i found it