Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Virus warning - In Case of Emergency (ICE)

Virus warning - In Case of Emergency (ICE)

Old Jul 20th 2005, 5:09 pm
Confused member

SunshineGirl has much to be proud ofSunshineGirl has much to be proud ofSunshineGirl has much to be proud ofSunshineGirl has much to be proud ofSunshineGirl has much to be proud ofSunshineGirl has much to be proud ofSunshineGirl has much to be proud ofSunshineGirl has much to be proud ofSunshineGirl has much to be proud ofSunshineGirl has much to be proud ofSunshineGirl has much to be proud of
Default Virus warning - In Case of Emergency (ICE)

Just got an email:

---You know the email that's gone round saying put ICE then a contact
number in case of emergency? Well don't do it cos....
Be very careful with this one - although the intention is great it is
unfortunately phase one of a phone based virus that is laying a path
for propagating very quickly. Passing it on is part of the virus
interestingly, such is the deviousness of the people who write these
things.
We have already seen the "second phase" where a program is sent as
part of a ring-tone download that goes into your address book and looks
for
something it recognises - you've guessed it, an address book entry
marked "ICE
or I.C.E." or whatever. It then sends itself to the "ICE list", charging
you for the privilege.---
Old Jul 20th 2005, 5:35 pm

bridiej is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Virus warning - In Case of Emergency (ICE)

This was discussed on another forum I visit, moneysavingexpert.com where they have been promoting this ICE system:

ICE Campaign

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

OK let's get this straight ICE is not a hoax or a virus

First of all I would never have included it in the tip and here without checking it out. The virus are the emails purporting that its a virus.

However I know people are still worried so I made some additional checks.

What the organisers say

Mathew Ware, PR and Communications Officer, East Anglian Ambulance NHS Trust says

“I confirm that the ICE (In Case of Emergency) project is genuine and not a hoax, as has been suggested by some emails.

Also read East Anglians press release ICE is not a hoax.

What the techies say about plausibility

It is impossible for anyone to access your mobile phone address book this way.

Andrew Harrison, UK Chief Executive at The Carphone Warehouse, said “75% of people carry no details of whom they would like telephoned following a serious accident. ICE enables rescue services to quickly contact your next of kin in an emergency situation. The Carphone Warehouse fully supports the ICE campaign, and we are proactively informing all our customers and employees of how to save ICE numbers on their phones.“

We are giving our customers the following advice:

1. Type the acronym ICE followed by a contact name into the address book of your mobile phone (for example, ICE - mum)
2. Save their phone number
3. Delete the previously stored name and number of your ICE contact
4. Tell your ICE contact that you have nominated them
NB: Step 3 is essential because mobile phones do not have the capability to identify a caller if the number is duplicated in the phone book

Saving a number to a mobile handset memory can in no way affect the use of the call credit on the handset. Likewise, a virus cannot be transmitted to the handset. The phone's memory is simply data stored on to the SIM card.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Martin Lewis, Money Saving Expert.
Old Jul 20th 2005, 6:07 pm
Born to be wild....

Brisben has a reputation beyond reputeBrisben has a reputation beyond reputeBrisben has a reputation beyond reputeBrisben has a reputation beyond reputeBrisben has a reputation beyond reputeBrisben has a reputation beyond reputeBrisben has a reputation beyond reputeBrisben has a reputation beyond reputeBrisben has a reputation beyond reputeBrisben has a reputation beyond reputeBrisben has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bridiej
This was discussed on another forum I visit, moneysavingexpert.com where they have been promoting this ICE system:

ICE Campaign

OK let's get this straight ICE is not a hoax or a virus

First of all I would never have included it in the tip and here without checking it out. The virus are the emails purporting that its a virus.

However I know people are still worried so I made some additional checks.

What the organisers say

Mathew Ware, PR and Communications Officer, East Anglian Ambulance NHS Trust says

“I confirm that the ICE (In Case of Emergency) project is genuine and not a hoax, as has been suggested by some emails.

Also read East Anglians press release ICE is not a hoax.

What the techies say about plausibility

It is impossible for anyone to access your mobile phone address book this way.

Andrew Harrison, UK Chief Executive at The Carphone Warehouse, said “75% of people carry no details of whom they would like telephoned following a serious accident. ICE enables rescue services to quickly contact your next of kin in an emergency situation. The Carphone Warehouse fully supports the ICE campaign, and we are proactively informing all our customers and employees of how to save ICE numbers on their phones.“

We are giving our customers the following advice:

1. Type the acronym ICE followed by a contact name into the address book of your mobile phone (for example, ICE - mum)
2. Save their phone number
3. Delete the previously stored name and number of your ICE contact
4. Tell your ICE contact that you have nominated them
NB: Step 3 is essential because mobile phones do not have the capability to identify a caller if the number is duplicated in the phone book

Saving a number to a mobile handset memory can in no way affect the use of the call credit on the handset. Likewise, a virus cannot be transmitted to the handset. The phone's memory is simply data stored on to the SIM card.

Martin Lewis, Money Saving Expert.
It is used for something very different in Northants and this is the true reason it is used.

Enter ice into your phone so emergency services know a number to contact in case of emergency. then enter ice1 ice2 etc. This is a pilot scheme in our county, it is just some sicko trying to prevent it working. This system has been prmoted by my local goverment.
Old Jul 21st 2005, 6:23 am
Confused member

SunshineGirl has much to be proud ofSunshineGirl has much to be proud ofSunshineGirl has much to be proud ofSunshineGirl has much to be proud ofSunshineGirl has much to be proud ofSunshineGirl has much to be proud ofSunshineGirl has much to be proud ofSunshineGirl has much to be proud ofSunshineGirl has much to be proud ofSunshineGirl has much to be proud ofSunshineGirl has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Brisben
It is used for something very different in Northants and this is the true reason it is used.

Enter ice into your phone so emergency services know a number to contact in case of emergency. then enter ice1 ice2 etc. This is a pilot scheme in our county, it is just some sicko trying to prevent it working. This system has been prmoted by my local goverment.
I thought it was an excellent idea then got worried when I got an email saying it was a hoax/virus. I cannot comprehend why someone would be so sick to want to prevent it working so I will be keeping my ICE numbers after all.

Old Jul 21st 2005, 6:35 am

bridiej is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by SunshineGirl
I thought it was an excellent idea then got worried when I got an email saying it was a hoax/virus. I cannot comprehend why someone would be so sick to want to prevent it working so I will be keeping my ICE numbers after all.