Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Virgin / Westpac credit card

Virgin / Westpac credit card

Old Mar 4th 2009, 9:37 pm
Wol
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond repute
Default Virgin / Westpac credit card

I know that many of us used the Virgin CC, and probably were annoyed at being transferred to the Westpac one.

I have just finished my first month with the Westpac online site and am not at all impressed with it. I found the March statement OK but when I tried to print it all that came out was page after page of digital garbage! There seems to be no way to email them from the site, and calling customer "service" just had me stuck holding for twenty minutes listening to a series of announcements about how good Westpac is and how they win every Australian banking award etc. At that point I gave up.

And I notice a "Mastercard fee" on the statement! What this is I have no idea - Virgin and Westpac promised no annual fee....

Old Mar 4th 2009, 9:43 pm
Full Throttle

stevemich has a reputation beyond reputestevemich has a reputation beyond reputestevemich has a reputation beyond reputestevemich has a reputation beyond reputestevemich has a reputation beyond reputestevemich has a reputation beyond reputestevemich has a reputation beyond reputestevemich has a reputation beyond reputestevemich has a reputation beyond reputestevemich has a reputation beyond reputestevemich has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Virgin / Westpac credit card

Originally Posted by Wol
I know that many of us used the Virgin CC, and probably were annoyed at being transferred to the Westpac one.

I have just finished my first month with the Westpac online site and am not at all impressed with it. I found the March statement OK but when I tried to print it all that came out was page after page of digital garbage! There seems to be no way to email them from the site, and calling customer "service" just had me stuck holding for twenty minutes listening to a series of announcements about how good Westpac is and how they win every Australian banking award etc. At that point I gave up.

And I notice a "Mastercard fee" on the statement! What this is I have no idea - Virgin and Westpac promised no annual fee....

Hmm not got the first bill from them yet - will be peed off if there is a fee slipped in there like you say.
Let us know how you get on.
Old Mar 4th 2009, 9:43 pm
BE Enthusiast

Pootle has a reputation beyond reputePootle has a reputation beyond reputePootle has a reputation beyond reputePootle has a reputation beyond reputePootle has a reputation beyond reputePootle has a reputation beyond reputePootle has a reputation beyond reputePootle has a reputation beyond reputePootle has a reputation beyond reputePootle has a reputation beyond reputePootle has a reputation beyond repute

We too have the virgin card. We have received the letters etc from westpac but haven't got a new card yet? Hubby had to ring them the other day because something he tried to buy online said that his card had been declined? The Westpac said they had no record of this because they could only look back at the previous 2 days?? Not happy so far - any other decent cards out there with no annual fee?
Old Mar 4th 2009, 9:49 pm
Wol
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by stevemich
Hmm not got the first bill from them yet - will be peed off if there is a fee slipped in there like you say.
Let us know how you get on.
It was only a very small amount but is it the thin end of the wedge(ing)? We are still using the Virgin card until it expires at the end of the month but have yet to get the replacement one.

Looks like the usual Australian syndrome - you just put up with what we tell you to do, don't bother us with questions or complaints because if you do you are automatically a whinger.
Old Mar 4th 2009, 11:12 pm
Timelord

DrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Wol
...but when I tried to print it all that came out was page after page of digital garbage! ...
Does that to me too when I use Firefox... Switching to IE solves it...

Virgin have an agreement with Westpac not to enter the credit card market again here until June this year... Personally I'm hoping they come back and airmiles are part of the reward program...
Old Mar 5th 2009, 12:46 am
Wol
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by DrWho
Does that to me too when I use Firefox... Switching to IE solves it...

Virgin have an agreement with Westpac not to enter the credit card market again here until June this year... Personally I'm hoping they come back and airmiles are part of the reward program...
Do you have IETabs in Firefox?
Old Mar 5th 2009, 1:23 am

IvanM is an unknown quantity at this point

I have just looked and cannot see a fee. Westpac used to do the website and backend processing for Virgin. Westpac service is not too bad once you do get hold of them.

Originally Posted by Wol

Old Mar 5th 2009, 1:33 am
Wol
Lost in BE Cyberspace

And Westpac banking is "not available at this time"..... (1330 EAST)
Old Mar 5th 2009, 2:18 am
Timelord

DrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Wol
Do you have IETabs in Firefox?
Nope, but just added them... I'll see how it goes...
Old Mar 5th 2009, 3:33 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Wol
We are still using the Virgin card until it expires at the end of the month but have yet to get the replacement one.
I have to admit I didn't read all the paperwork thoroughly. Are they cancelling all Virgin cards at the end of March and replacing them with the Westpac ones, or just as and when the card expires?

June's not far away. Here's hoping they get back in immediately.
Old Mar 5th 2009, 3:37 am
Timelord

Originally Posted by moneypen20
...June's not far away. Here's hoping they get back in immediately.
Yup... I get through about 1.5m points a year and that's a lot of tickets to visit home...
Old Mar 5th 2009, 6:41 am
Wol
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by moneypen20
I have to admit I didn't read all the paperwork thoroughly. Are they cancelling all Virgin cards at the end of March and replacing them with the Westpac ones, or just as and when the card expires?

June's not far away. Here's hoping they get back in immediately.
The Virgin cards still extant will expire in May. Go to www.westpac.com.au/ignite for details.
Old Mar 5th 2009, 6:44 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Wol
The Virgin cards still extant will expire in May. Go to www.westpac.com.au/ignite for details.
OK thanks. Got our first Ignite bill the other day, wasn't concentrating and thought it was a leccy bill (the name confused me), then I saw the credit card details and clicked. Silly damn name. Come back Virgin please.
Old Mar 5th 2009, 8:12 am
Wol
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Nope, but just added them... I'll see how it goes...
I just tried IETab and it printed OK. The problem will be remembering to switch rendering engine each month <g>.

(My understanding is that the proper HTML protocols are not fully implemented by Mr Gates's offering but since he's taken over the known universe many sites write the code to suit IE, which buggers some other browsers which do obey the rules. Does anyone in IT know if this is right?)