Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Virgin Airways spraying customers with pesticides

Virgin Airways spraying customers with pesticides

Old Aug 18th 2009, 4:20 am
Account Closed

Tooterelli is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Virgin Airways spraying customers with pesticides

Does anyone know what the regulations are? I've flown into Oz 3 times in the last year (BA, Qantas and Virgin) and Virgin have been the only airline who have (openly) FUMIGATED THE CABINS WITH PESTICIDES.

I could have cried when the stewardess appeared with her spray can and began spraying the ceiling firstly and then secondly the carpet. I had thought this was a thing of the past because BA (yeuch) and Qantus hadn't done it on my earlier flights.

Why is this allowed to go on?? They are poisoning us and obviously also damaging their own health.

PS Apart from this incident I thought Virgin were great.
Old Aug 18th 2009, 4:32 am
Frequent Flyer Member

bcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Virgin Airways spraying customers with pesticides

I flew with BA from Bangkok to Sydney on Saturday and the cabin was sprayed twice - after the doors closed in BKK and before landing in SYD. The cabin announcement says that it's due to Australian regulations although like you I'm sure it hasn't always happened when I've flown in - can't say for sure though.

http://www.daff.gov.au/aqis/quaranti...ses/mosquitoes

Australia is also one of about 40 countries that require the spraying (disinsection) of international aircraft cabins and holds to kill insects that transmit human diseases.

AQIS provides a range of options for aircraft disinsection:

residual disinsection —empty aircraft are sprayed to provide residual protection for eight weeks;
pre-embarkation disinsection — cabin crew spray the aircraft before passengers board at the last port before departure for Australia. The treatment lasts through the flight;
top-of descent treatment — cabin crew spray before passengers embark and again just before landing; and
on-arrival treatment — cabin crew spray aircraft before disembarkation

Last edited by bcworld; Aug 18th 2009 at 4:36 am.
Old Aug 18th 2009, 4:41 am
Account Open

asprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Tooterelli
Why is this allowed to go on?? They are poisoning us and obviously also damaging their own health.
Well, maybe, just maybe, they checked that the spray was safe before using it on planes. But that would be very boring eh?
Old Aug 18th 2009, 4:45 am
Frequent Flyer Member

bcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by asprilla
Well, maybe, just maybe, they checked that the spray was safe before using it on planes. But that would be very boring eh?
Shhhhh! They're obviously slaves to 'big pharma' - haven't you heard!
Old Aug 18th 2009, 4:48 am
Account Open

asprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond repute

oh bcworld...you've been breathing in those chemtrails again, haven't you?
Old Aug 18th 2009, 4:50 am

Centurion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond repute

Does anyone know what the regulations are? I've flown into Oz 3 times in the last year (BA, Qantas and Virgin) and Virgin have been the only airline who have (openly) FUMIGATED THE CABINS WITH PESTICIDES.

I could have cried when the stewardess appeared with her spray can and began spraying the ceiling firstly and then secondly the carpet. I had thought this was a thing of the past because BA (yeuch) and Qantus hadn't done it on my earlier flights.

PS Apart from this incident I thought Virgin were great.
Most should do this. My experience with VA is the FA walking up and down at least a couple of times doing it.

Its annoying, it gives me a headache and I'm surprised that anyone actually manages in economy on Virgin to make it alive from LHR to Aus given the ridiculous stingy seat dimensions, the rubbish food and surly service which is vaguely reminiscent of a Tomas Cook charter airline, so I'm stunned that an insect could live anyhow!
Old Aug 18th 2009, 5:03 am
Frequent Flyer Member

oh bcworld...you've been breathing in those chemtrails again, haven't you?
Yes, twice in fact! Quick - get me to my homeopath for a picogram of something or other - that'll sort me out! (Sorry, been reading the book 'Bad Science' on holiday).
Old Aug 18th 2009, 5:07 am
Account Closed

What is 'safe', please tell me? It is a scientific fact that pesticides may contribute, amongst other illnesses, to Parkinson's Disease. I discovered this when a friend of mine, aged 41, developed it.

Last edited by Tooterelli; Aug 18th 2009 at 5:14 am.
Old Aug 18th 2009, 5:12 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

What is 'safe', please tell me? It is a scientific fact that pesticides may contribute, amongst other illnesses, to Parkinson's Disease. I discovered this when a friend of mine, aged 41 developed it.
I'm surprised it still happens, though a few years ago all airlines were required to carry out spraying before landing in Aus.
If you earch the net there are cases of cabin crew claiming compensation after prolonged exposure to these sprays, but I'm not sure if any were successful.
Old Aug 18th 2009, 5:13 am
Full Throttle

stevemich has a reputation beyond reputestevemich has a reputation beyond reputestevemich has a reputation beyond reputestevemich has a reputation beyond reputestevemich has a reputation beyond reputestevemich has a reputation beyond reputestevemich has a reputation beyond reputestevemich has a reputation beyond reputestevemich has a reputation beyond reputestevemich has a reputation beyond reputestevemich has a reputation beyond repute

Are you sure they're not spraying you all with deodorant, you can start to smell a tad after 24hrs on a plane...
Old Aug 18th 2009, 5:15 am
Frequent Flyer Member

It is a scientific fact that pesticides may contribute, amongst other illnesses, to Parkinson's Disease.
Which pesticides? They do not all behave the same way.

Do you know what was being sprayed on the plane? I suspect not, yet you can unequivocally state you were being 'poisoned' and your health was being damaged?
Old Aug 18th 2009, 5:20 am
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

In April stewardesses sprayed the cabin on an Air Asia X flight into Perth that I was on.
Old Aug 18th 2009, 5:24 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by bcworld
Which pesticides? They do not all behave the same way.

Do you know what was being sprayed on the plane? I suspect not, yet you can unequivocally state you were being 'poisoned' and your health was being damaged?

No I don't know. The crew don't appear to know either - and that is the most worrying thing. Sheeple doing as they are told, I suppose.
Old Aug 18th 2009, 5:34 am
Account Open

What is 'safe', please tell me? It is a scientific fact that pesticides may contribute, amongst other illnesses, to Parkinson's Disease. I discovered this when a friend of mine, aged 41, developed it.
It is very hard to say what is "safe". I think that there is far too much misinformation out there nowadays about what is, and what is not, safe.

for instance, the latest fad appears to be : natural, unprocessed, no chemical names on the labels = good.....vs processed, chemical names on labels = bad.

I agree with bcworld on this one.
Old Aug 18th 2009, 5:37 am
Account Closed

kporte is an unknown quantity at this point

No I don't know. The crew don't appear to know either - and that is the most worrying thing. Sheeple doing as they are told, I suppose.
You are at more risk putting on your deodorant. Why would they poison passengers?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.