Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Violent crime escalating in Perth

Violent crime escalating in Perth

Old Aug 3rd 2011, 5:09 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

the troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Violent crime escalating in Perth

Originally Posted by The_Wookie
So the news reports of these crimes are lies?

I'm not sure what 'perspective' has to do with it. It's pretty clear that these crimes are taking place. The news I listen to has senior police giving details of the crimes.

You can't bury your head in the sand and pretend this stuff doesn't happen.

Edit: or maybe you can? You'd be leading a pretty sheltered life though.
Certainly not lies but it does appear to me that crime reporting does get a lot of newsprint and air time over other matters which seem to be little insight given into ever escalating prices in this city which of course may reflect in part on crime levels.

Police have their own agenda of course as they have been pushing for better conditions in recent times, while most folk would have no idea or much interest in what is going on in Perth after hours for example.

For better or worse Perth remains a rather easy place to avoid the nasties of life.
Folk tend to spend a lot of time cocooned indoors especially after dark, they drive everywhere so minimal contact with surroundings and besides shopping centres there isn't a lot of others about.
A little simplistic I know but you get my drift.

Sometimes though the outside world does intervene in the shape of a house breakin or a car tampered with but outside of that a pretty sheltered life can be pretty much how it is for many.
Old Aug 3rd 2011, 5:11 am
...giving optimism a go?!

DadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud ofDadAgain has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by The_Wookie
.... The news I listen to has senior police giving details of the crimes.

You can't bury your head in the sand and pretend this stuff doesn't happen.
No - but a story every week about a robbery on the GC on TV makes it seem ubiquitous. If however, the truth is there are only 52 robberies in an entire year in a city of 1.5M people thats pretty damned impressive.

Has the robberies per 100K population increased or decreased over the last 2 decades? I'd hazard a guess that it might actually have gone DOWN thanks to the enormous population growth.

Any studies I've seen on the subject say that crime figures suggest crime (both here and the UK) seems to be decreasing whilst the REPORTING of crime in media increases enormously. The resultant effect? A Population who have unrealistic fears and perceptions about their safety.

Criminal activity does happen - but it always has - and actually it doesnt happen as much as you'd think from reading or watching the 'zOMG Media'.
Old Aug 3rd 2011, 5:20 am
Not actually a squirrel

brissybee has a reputation beyond reputebrissybee has a reputation beyond reputebrissybee has a reputation beyond reputebrissybee has a reputation beyond reputebrissybee has a reputation beyond reputebrissybee has a reputation beyond reputebrissybee has a reputation beyond reputebrissybee has a reputation beyond reputebrissybee has a reputation beyond reputebrissybee has a reputation beyond reputebrissybee has a reputation beyond repute

There's always a silver lining to these problems.

From a criminal perspective, the increasing incidence of violent crime takes the heat off petty non-violent criminals who simply want to pass their days breaking and entering without having to spend their lives looking over their shoulder for some bureaucrat ready to slap them with a prison sentence.

From a police perspective, there must be greater job satisfaction in bringing violent criminals to justice compared with that achieved slapping someone with a jay-walking fine.
Old Aug 3rd 2011, 5:28 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by DadAgain
No - but a story every week about a robbery on the GC on TV makes it seem ubiquitous. If however, the truth is there are only 52 robberies in an entire year in a city of 1.5M people thats pretty damned impressive.

Has the robberies per 100K population increased or decreased over the last 2 decades? I'd hazard a guess that it might actually have gone DOWN thanks to the enormous population growth.

Any studies I've seen on the subject say that crime figures suggest crime (both here and the UK) seems to be decreasing whilst the REPORTING of crime in media increases enormously. The resultant effect? A Population who have unrealistic fears and perceptions about their safety.

Criminal activity does happen - but it always has - and actually it doesnt happen as much as you'd think from reading or watching the 'zOMG Media'.
Exactly.
Old Aug 3rd 2011, 11:02 am
Just Joined

lancmanc is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by northernbird
I acknowledge it happens but don't dwell on it. If you do put it in perspective and realise that Perth is a metro area of roughly 1.5 million. I haven't googled but this has to be the combined population of say Birmingham and Manchester together and I am sure half the crimes in those cities don't get any column inches. It is all about staying safe yourself, protecting your loved ones and your property and staying away as best you can from dodgy areas.
Sorry Northernbird but I think that the whole of WA has yet to reach 2 million, so I think 1.5 million for Perth is off the the mark, but you know what it's like here in Perth, it's a small goldfish bowl and the media blows everything sky high for sensationalism .
Saying that, the crime rate has risen, but so has the population, and the police have had their abilities to police curtailed by the bleeding hearts and PC brigade.
But on the whole, there is nowhere else better in Australia.
Old Aug 3rd 2011, 11:06 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

fish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lancmanc
Sorry Northernbird but I think that the whole of WA has yet to reach 2 million, so I think 1.5 million for Perth is off the the mark, but you know what it's like here in Perth, it's a small goldfish bowl and the media blows everything sky high for sensationalism .
Saying that, the crime rate has risen, but so has the population, and the police have had their abilities to police curtailed by the bleeding hearts and PC brigade.
Yes it is off the mark...Greater Perth is almost 1.7 million.
Old Aug 3rd 2011, 12:50 pm
Still alive

Dorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lancmanc
Perth 1.7 million. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Perth,_Western_Australia
2.3 million for the state http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Western_Australia
Old Aug 3rd 2011, 1:19 pm
Gutter Gob!!

northernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by fish.01
Yes it is off the mark...Greater Perth is almost 1.7 million.
Originally Posted by Dorothy
Like I said, I didn't google but I said roughly 1.5 million. What is 200,000 between friends
Old Aug 3rd 2011, 2:34 pm
BE Enthusiast

deb68 is a splendid one to beholddeb68 is a splendid one to beholddeb68 is a splendid one to beholddeb68 is a splendid one to beholddeb68 is a splendid one to beholddeb68 is a splendid one to beholddeb68 is a splendid one to beholddeb68 is a splendid one to beholddeb68 is a splendid one to beholddeb68 is a splendid one to beholddeb68 is a splendid one to behold

DEBS HUBBY HERE:
We had this same convo yesterday, it does look very nasty here lately, but that's just down to the fact that this place is so small in number terms really, and the bigger fact of not much going on creates a news media frenzy for this and anything really news worthy of late, back in the UK a stabbing in brum would not make the local news for central area might make the smalls in the middle of the local rag maybe, or usually gossip on the streets if some one knew the person.
Tonights biggy is the poor lass with the bomb on her, over in Sydney i think, not sure of location as i have had a real shitty day and the news was on in background. I am using this site tonight as a relief mechanism
Old Aug 4th 2011, 1:06 am
BE Forum Addict

Japonica has a reputation beyond reputeJaponica has a reputation beyond reputeJaponica has a reputation beyond reputeJaponica has a reputation beyond reputeJaponica has a reputation beyond reputeJaponica has a reputation beyond reputeJaponica has a reputation beyond reputeJaponica has a reputation beyond reputeJaponica has a reputation beyond reputeJaponica has a reputation beyond reputeJaponica has a reputation beyond repute

We're at record highs for murder rate in my old city in Canada, so Perth looks pretty sleepy in comparison. And I still wouldn't be afraid of walking around my neighborhood, either here or back there.
Old Aug 4th 2011, 1:17 am
Banned

chris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond repute

That's the thing, I would be happy to walk around day or night in most places here or the UK. There is little or no difference in the overall crime rate in either country although one is perceived by some to be much worse which is odd.
Old Aug 4th 2011, 1:37 am
Account Closed

iamthecreaturefromuranus is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by northernbird
Like I said, I didn't google but I said roughly 1.5 million. What is 200,000 between friends
Population of Greater Manchester is about 2.7 million, West Midlands is about 2.2 million.... bit more than a couple of hundred thousand out then.
Old Aug 4th 2011, 2:28 am
BE Enthusiast

pomtastic has a reputation beyond reputepomtastic has a reputation beyond reputepomtastic has a reputation beyond reputepomtastic has a reputation beyond reputepomtastic has a reputation beyond reputepomtastic has a reputation beyond reputepomtastic has a reputation beyond reputepomtastic has a reputation beyond reputepomtastic has a reputation beyond reputepomtastic has a reputation beyond reputepomtastic has a reputation beyond repute

Definately more crime in Perth over the last few years but perhaps no more than any other City. Trouble is, not much happens here so every incident is reported, therefore it seems like more perhaps.
Old Aug 4th 2011, 4:36 am
Banned

Weebie is a glorious beacon of lightWeebie is a glorious beacon of lightWeebie is a glorious beacon of lightWeebie is a glorious beacon of lightWeebie is a glorious beacon of lightWeebie is a glorious beacon of lightWeebie is a glorious beacon of lightWeebie is a glorious beacon of lightWeebie is a glorious beacon of lightWeebie is a glorious beacon of lightWeebie is a glorious beacon of light

Crime is not that bad in Perth. A lot of it is Alcohol fuelled and Gang related. Home Break ins are a problem but this is not a new thing, Perth has a reputation for this problem.

To say that the UK is more dangerous than Perth though is complete crap.

A bit of a drug war going on in Scarbrough atm. Saw about 4 gangs down on the strip last week.
Old Aug 4th 2011, 4:49 am
(It's not my real name)

renth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Weebie
A bit of a drug war going on in Scarbrough atm. Saw about 4 gangs down on the strip last week.
I drive through Scarbs twice a day and always see undesirables. Sometimes see some good looking prossies though...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.