Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Violent Australia?

Wikiposts

Violent Australia?

Old Aug 19th 2003, 12:31 pm
Banned

pommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by Kiwipaul
I've admitted that I've experienced 2 crimes so obviously Australia is not crime free (mind you both these crimes were in NZ).
Just stateing the fact that crime is no worse here than in the UK, and it's def not a place where crime is totally out of control. Cannot comment on the Burb you live in mind.

Joondalup CBD is an average concrete jungle , with load of flats and no social base or community like most of Australia , just like Milton Keynes a new town with little heart.

Last edited by pommie bastard; Aug 19th 2003 at 12:40 pm.
Old Aug 19th 2003, 12:39 pm
Y Ddraig Goch

Location: Body is in Brissie. Heart and soul has long flown home.
Ceri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to all
Default Re: Violent Australia?

Originally posted by JWW
I don't want to start a row here but, I have noticed just recently that amongst the usual chuff on the NZ news regarding Maori moaning about land and farmers moaning about....well moaning about everything, there does appear to be some very unpleasant stuff happening in Aussie at the minute.

People being burned to death in Brissy, father and baby get crap kicked out of them in Sydney, bloke in Perth goes loopy.

This is purely for the residents really, is it getting worse or is it just a cluster?
I"ve been in Aus for 6 years, within that time I haven't noticed crime getting worse. It seems the same as it did when I first arrived. For most people here crime does not touch them, just the usual probs of theft etc. I've only ever had my car broken into here, same as in the UK.
I suppose if you hang out in the wrong places, mix with the wrong people or live in a rough area etc you're more likely to see or be a victim of crime as like most places in the world.
Aus is not crime free, the same as most western countries are not crime free.

The only serious crime which I've seen here was down in Newcastle about a week after I first got to Aus. I was sitting in a cafe and the bank opposite was held up by armed robbers.. didn't actually see it happening, just saw all the police arriving.
Other things which I have noticed - the drugs. One concert I went to ( a rock concert in Newcastle) there were syringes on the floor .. you had to watch were you sat.

watch the news and you'll be left thinking the world is a very, very dangerous place. The news hardly ever shows the good does it. Can you imagine if you turned on the news and it went like this " Today in Brisbane, man in street picked up dropped wallet and handed it into police station" "Woman in street stops to help passer by" boring.........

There is sh*te in life, there is also good in life... look for the sh*te you will find it, look for the good you will also find that too.
Brisbane and Sydney etc will always have more crime than other towns... they are cities, same as cities like London, Cardiff, Birmingham etc in the UK have more crime than your sleepy little village.

Anyway no I have not noticed it's getting worse here... it seems the same as it did 6 years ago.

Cheers
Old Aug 19th 2003, 6:13 pm
BE Forum Addict

dotty is on a distinguished road

Crime has always been here. 17 year old raping grannys, pedos and kids. Armed hold ups, I have missed two of them by 5 minutes literally. However its not like you see it every day!

Probably the same as the UK, its in the papers, but on a day to day basis you just carry on as normal, then every few years you get a burglary, or car robbed or know someone who has a very nasty experience. Only thing I would say is worse is petty theft, people just nick anything here, latest trend is kids stealing lunches!! I am serious here, lunches money in bags for lunches, sad to see so many kids theiving, and parents who dont do anyting about it when told what their kids have done.