Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Violence and Crimes is Sydney [ a serious problem ]

Violence and Crimes is Sydney [ a serious problem ]

Old Nov 9th 2009, 8:39 pm
Forum Regular

gere is just really nicegere is just really nicegere is just really nicegere is just really nicegere is just really nicegere is just really nicegere is just really nicegere is just really nicegere is just really nice
Thumbs down Violence and Crimes is Sydney [ a serious problem ]

From time to time I visit the web site of Sydney Morning Herald newspaper . And Very often I see stories on crimes and violence in Sydney. It is pretty scary and annoying fact about the city. Here is the latest crime story in Sydney.

http://www.smh.com.au/national/two-d...ml?autostart=1
Old Nov 9th 2009, 8:51 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

jad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Violence and Crimes is Sydney [ a serious problem ]

Originally Posted by gere
From time to time I visit the web site of Sydney Morning Herald newspaper . And Very often I see stories on crimes and violence in Sydney. It is pretty scary and annoying fact about the city. Here is the latest crime story in Sydney.

And I can see where this thread is gonna go

Your a brave man
Old Nov 9th 2009, 10:34 pm
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

Crime levels in Australia are similar to what they are in the UK and other western countries ie low.
Old Nov 9th 2009, 10:44 pm
Hasta la victoria siempre

johnnyx0 is a glorious beacon of lightjohnnyx0 is a glorious beacon of lightjohnnyx0 is a glorious beacon of lightjohnnyx0 is a glorious beacon of lightjohnnyx0 is a glorious beacon of lightjohnnyx0 is a glorious beacon of lightjohnnyx0 is a glorious beacon of lightjohnnyx0 is a glorious beacon of lightjohnnyx0 is a glorious beacon of lightjohnnyx0 is a glorious beacon of lightjohnnyx0 is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Amazulu
Crime levels in Australia are similar to what they are in the UK and other western countries ie low.
Agreed. Thread closed. End of.
Old Nov 9th 2009, 10:45 pm
Banned

mohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to behold

Sydneys OZ's largest city so obvioulsy theres going to be more crime there then anywhere else in OZ, more people equals more crime. Do you expect a city of 4 million people not to have some violent crime everyday. l don't think Sydneys worse then any city the same size in any other western country, its not Johanesberg where people have to live behind electric fences and pack handguns.

Last edited by mohogony; Nov 9th 2009 at 10:49 pm.
Old Nov 10th 2009, 1:51 am
ABCDiamond

Crime happens everywhere. Newspapers sell papers based on stories they run.

Crime will therefore be publicised. They will only stop publicising it when it becomes so common place that no one is interested in reading it any more.

That one happened in Randwick, which had one murder in 2008, 1 in 2007, although 3 in 2006. So it isn't a normal everyday occurence for Randwick.

Old Nov 10th 2009, 1:54 am
ABCDiamond

An update for Sydney Statistical Division as a whole:

Murders in:
2006 62
2007 46
2008 41

Old Nov 10th 2009, 11:37 am
FHI
Forum Regular

FHI is on a distinguished road

I live in Sydney and work in the CBD and quite often in there late at night. I have never sensed any trouble there or in the areas where i live.

This might be famous last words but both during the day when we are out and at night when we are asleep we leave our windows open. I couldnt do that in Edinburgh.
Old Nov 10th 2009, 11:39 am
Account Closed

kporte is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by FHI
I live in Sydney and work in the CBD and quite often in there late at night. I have never sensed any trouble there or in the areas where i live.

This might be famous last words but both during the day when we are out and at night when we are asleep we leave our windows open. I couldnt do that in Edinburgh.
I could but I had a 5th floor tenament flat......
Old Nov 10th 2009, 11:43 am
Frequent Flyer Member

bcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by FHI
Well that sounds a bit foolish to me. Most ground floor places around here have bars on the windows - one girl who doesn't in our block came around to let us know that she had been broken into via an open window one Sunday evening a couple of months ago. Similarly when I lived in Brisbane we had a neighbour come over to let us know she was burgled TWICE in one week and to ensure we kept the windows locked. Two very different areas, one inner city, one quiet suburban.
Old Nov 10th 2009, 11:46 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by bcworld
Well that sounds a bit foolish to me. Most ground floor places around here have bars on the windows - one girl who doesn't in our block came around to let us know that she had been broken into via an open window one Sunday evening a couple of months ago. Similarly when I lived in Brisbane we had a neighbour come over to let us know she was burgled TWICE in one week and to ensure we kept the windows locked. Two very different areas, one inner city, one quiet suburban.
I think it is fair to say that like the UK, crime is very low here. I was actually burgled a couple of months ago. Happens everywhere but it is still pretty rare.
Old Nov 10th 2009, 12:02 pm
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bcworld
Yep, I agree. No way would I leave the windows open, either here or at home. Nice quiet Brisbane suburb - but the neighbour warned me he has seen off a couple of very dubious characters in the last few months.
Old Nov 10th 2009, 12:06 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by Pollyana
Yep, I agree. No way would I leave the windows open, either here or at home. Nice quiet Brisbane suburb - but the neighbour warned me he has seen off a couple of very dubious characters in the last few months.
But Bernie just keeps coming back.........
Old Nov 10th 2009, 1:19 pm
Account Closed

JenJen is an unknown quantity at this point

Do you know we were laughing the other night cause our eldest boys happened to watch the news with us - we don't make a habit of watching it ourselves - normally highly depressing and just another eye rolling opportunity - very unworldly of me I know.
But our second son looked horrified and said I think we should go back to Australia as soon as possible we could get killed here - very dramatic isn't he? LOL

But as pointed out and I hate to follow like a sheep but there is CRIME EVERYWHERE.

The news bulletin in question involved a nice leafy suburb called Cringleford - not far from us and not known to involve crime as a rule and in a very well to do area shall we say, hubbys grandparents used to live there !
A couple had been murdered so HUGE news around here.

I've been told by many people Sydney is actually bigger than London (not sure how true that is as i've never personally looked into it) but there is plenty of crime in London, plenty in New York, San Francisco, Las Vegas.
Major cities we're talking about here!
Of course there's gonna be crime and as with every area good or bad there is always the potential for crime?

We stayed in Melbourne oooh was 2006 I think in a LUVVERLY hotel in the centre - there were several nights out of the 2 weeks we were there that we heard sirens late eve/ early morning static and close by and heard the following days there'd been some sort of caffufle, more fool us for staying in the centre eh but the rooftop pool lightened the burden for us lol.

Only advice I can give is research your area? If you're worried do the safety steps. Don't live windows open don't go walking at night alone yada yada yada.
Or an I feel very safe when I have a whingey child with me cause by god does it make ppl leave you alone - and I mean ANY ppl so I suppose a bit like carrying pepper spray lol
Old Nov 10th 2009, 8:30 pm
Frequent Flyer Member

bcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by JenJen
We stayed in Melbourne oooh was 2006 I think in a LUVVERLY hotel in the centre - there were several nights out of the 2 weeks we were there that we heard sirens late eve/ early morning static and close by and heard the following days there'd been some sort of caffufle, more fool us for staying in the centre eh but the rooftop pool lightened the burden for us lol.
Pah...that's nothing!

On my first visit to Sydney, we stayed in an apartment close to Darling Harbour / Chinatown. We checked in and went up to the apartment, put on the TV and the news was on - the story running was about a stabbing that had occured on the doorstep of the building we had just checked into the night before!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.