Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Views from Perth

Views from Perth

Old Jun 30th 2005, 1:49 pm
  #1  
Off to Perth in early Oct
Thread Starter
 
Joined: Jan 2005
Location: Secret Harbour, WA
Posts: 968
youcanlaugh is a jewel in the roughyoucanlaugh is a jewel in the roughyoucanlaugh is a jewel in the roughyoucanlaugh is a jewel in the roughyoucanlaugh is a jewel in the rough
Default Views from Perth

Are there any nice areas in Perth where you get decent panoramic views but are still within, say, 30 mins of the city? City skyline views would be nice, but my thought is it would be nice, sitting outside with a drink, admiring a view (be it ocean, city or other).

Also, how far inland can you go before you start getting attacked by flies and you loose the benefit of the Freemantle doctor?

I'm trying to draw up a shortlist of places to view as soon we arrive (I know, probably the first thing into the bin once we arrive), but the one thing I haven't found yet is whether I can even consider looking for somewhere with a view.

Thanks
youcanlaugh is offline  
Old Jun 30th 2005, 2:02 pm
  #2  
Home at last
 
Joined: May 2005
Location: Perth
Posts: 263
michellemac is a name known to allmichellemac is a name known to allmichellemac is a name known to allmichellemac is a name known to allmichellemac is a name known to allmichellemac is a name known to allmichellemac is a name known to allmichellemac is a name known to allmichellemac is a name known to allmichellemac is a name known to allmichellemac is a name known to all
Default Re: Views from Perth

Originally Posted by youcanlaugh
Are there any nice areas in Perth where you get decent panoramic views but are still within, say, 30 mins of the city? City skyline views would be nice, but my thought is it would be nice, sitting outside with a drink, admiring a view (be it ocean, city or other).

Also, how far inland can you go before you start getting attacked by flies and you loose the benefit of the Freemantle doctor?

I'm trying to draw up a shortlist of places to view as soon we arrive (I know, probably the first thing into the bin once we arrive), but the one thing I haven't found yet is whether I can even consider looking for somewhere with a view.

Thanks
welll, it depends on how much view you want and how much money you've got to spend on a house .

The Western Suburbs like Mosman Park/Peppermint Grove have brilliant views but are some of the most expensive in Perth :scared: If you travel from Fremantle up the Canning highway towards Perth, then all of the suburbs on your left are worth looking at (Applecross, Attadale, Melville etc)- as well as some betwen Canning and Leach Highways (Booragoon, Mount Pleasant). - even bit of Kardinya have views of the City if you had a two storey house for example.

Going east - Mount Lawley has good views (again it's expensive though!), as do most of the "Hills" suburbs - from Armadale all the way up.

If there's an easterly then you're going to get flies, even in Freo! - but obviously the further inland you go, the worse it gets which might discount the Hills suburbs for you?

I don't know much about the Northern suburbs, but I am sure there are places there you can also get good views.

Hope this helps a bit?

Michelle
michellemac is offline  
Old Jun 30th 2005, 2:16 pm
  #3  
Off to Perth in early Oct
Thread Starter
 
Joined: Jan 2005
Location: Secret Harbour, WA
Posts: 968
youcanlaugh is a jewel in the roughyoucanlaugh is a jewel in the roughyoucanlaugh is a jewel in the roughyoucanlaugh is a jewel in the roughyoucanlaugh is a jewel in the rough
Default Re: Views from Perth

Thanks Michelle,

It certainly did help thanks.

I can take a look at some of those suburbs on the net now. It's just very hard to get any idea of would and wouldn't have a view when you're staring at a 2 dimensional map.

Do you happen to know if any of those areas would suffer with aircraft buzzing around. I'd imagine with 2 airports close together, there must be some pretty heavy air routes in some suburbs.

Neil
youcanlaugh is offline  
Old Jun 30th 2005, 2:46 pm
  #4  
Home at last
 
Joined: May 2005
Location: Perth
Posts: 263
michellemac is a name known to allmichellemac is a name known to allmichellemac is a name known to allmichellemac is a name known to allmichellemac is a name known to allmichellemac is a name known to allmichellemac is a name known to allmichellemac is a name known to allmichellemac is a name known to allmichellemac is a name known to allmichellemac is a name known to all
Default Re: Views from Perth

Originally Posted by youcanlaugh
Thanks Michelle,

It certainly did help thanks.

I can take a look at some of those suburbs on the net now. It's just very hard to get any idea of would and wouldn't have a view when you're staring at a 2 dimensional map.

Do you happen to know if any of those areas would suffer with aircraft buzzing around. I'd imagine with 2 airports close together, there must be some pretty heavy air routes in some suburbs.

Neil

I'm trying to remember here, so don't quote me...but I think most of those suburbs are OK for plane noise - certainly if you live-ish near any regional UK airports it would probably be lower (although you do get big 747s at Perth internationals which you don't tend to get at, say Bristol International)because of much lower traffic and I know you do still get people looking up at the sky when a plane goes overhead . Some of Eastern Suburbs can be bad - Midland and surrounds for example as well as Kewdale etc (but Kewdale is an industrial place with no houses so you don't need to worry about that). I know people in Canning Vale and they get some noise from Jandakot Airport but it's negligible really.

There are some Hills places where it gets quite loud- I had a friend who lived at Chittering but it was also loud there (but like I say, with only a few planes every now and then arriving, it's nowhere near as busy as you fear!)

Michelle
michellemac is offline  
Old Jun 30th 2005, 2:49 pm
  #5  
Off to Perth in early Oct
Thread Starter
 
Joined: Jan 2005
Location: Secret Harbour, WA
Posts: 968
youcanlaugh is a jewel in the roughyoucanlaugh is a jewel in the roughyoucanlaugh is a jewel in the roughyoucanlaugh is a jewel in the roughyoucanlaugh is a jewel in the rough
Default Re: Views from Perth

Thanks for all your help Michelle
youcanlaugh is offline  
Old Jun 30th 2005, 3:18 pm
  #6  
 
saraliz's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2003
Location: Fremantle
Posts: 675
saraliz is a glorious beacon of lightsaraliz is a glorious beacon of lightsaraliz is a glorious beacon of lightsaraliz is a glorious beacon of lightsaraliz is a glorious beacon of lightsaraliz is a glorious beacon of lightsaraliz is a glorious beacon of lightsaraliz is a glorious beacon of lightsaraliz is a glorious beacon of lightsaraliz is a glorious beacon of lightsaraliz is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: Views from Perth

Also have a look at South Perth... you can get some excellent views of the city from there.
saraliz is offline  
Old Jul 1st 2005, 1:03 am
  #7  
Living in Perthection
 
steve99's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2003
Location: Wickedy WA WA...
Posts: 1,868
steve99 has a reputation beyond reputesteve99 has a reputation beyond reputesteve99 has a reputation beyond reputesteve99 has a reputation beyond reputesteve99 has a reputation beyond reputesteve99 has a reputation beyond reputesteve99 has a reputation beyond reputesteve99 has a reputation beyond reputesteve99 has a reputation beyond reputesteve99 has a reputation beyond reputesteve99 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Views from Perth

Originally Posted by youcanlaugh
Are there any nice areas in Perth where you get decent panoramic views but are still within, say, 30 mins of the city? City skyline views would be nice, but my thought is it would be nice, sitting outside with a drink, admiring a view (be it ocean, city or other).

Also, how far inland can you go before you start getting attacked by flies and you loose the benefit of the Freemantle doctor?

I'm trying to draw up a shortlist of places to view as soon we arrive (I know, probably the first thing into the bin once we arrive), but the one thing I haven't found yet is whether I can even consider looking for somewhere with a view.

Thanks
If you want an ocean view check out the western suburbs, from where the swan river opens into the ocean upto around scarborough/trigg area, if you want a house with a view in any of these your probably looking at around the $1M to $3M bracket, there are apartments which can you get views of the ocean from around $350K. Going above Trigg into the northen suburbs along the coast the price gradually drops down as you get further north. Around Hillarys, Ocean Reef etc you can probably get something around the $600K + mark. Once your up as far as Mindarie you might find something around the $400K mark. There are some blocks of land up this way with some views going for around the low $300's.

A number of the western suburbs get city views, but its limited to specific streets, there are a number of hills running sort of through Floreat up through wembley downs/churchalnds into Scarborough and high areas on these can get distant views of the ocean or the city.
Doubleview (funnily enough) has views of both the city and the ocean, although im not sure that many property's have both, and those that do would reflect this in the price.
There are various Lakes around which are also fairly popular and attract higher sales prices than the average for that suburb.

As always, budget is going to pretty much govern things, decide how much your gonna spend, get a car, get a good map and get driving around.

Steve
steve99 is offline  
Old Jul 1st 2005, 1:03 am
  #8  
Dutch expat/Aus citizen
 
Simone's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2003
Location: South East, Perth (was Holland)
Posts: 5,789
Simone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Views from Perth

Originally Posted by michellemac

There are some Hills places where it gets quite loud- I had a friend who lived at Chittering but it was also loud there (but like I say, with only a few planes every now and then arriving, it's nowhere near as busy as you fear!)

Michelle
Chittering is probably loud because there's a Royal Airforce base at Bullsbrook


As Michelle said, it's mostly Midland, Guildford, Welshpool, Kewdale etc where the big planes fly over, and they're mostly industrial area's, and there's no way you'll be living there anyway!


I think to get a house with a view you'll be paying at least half a million, and that would be in a cheaper suburb!
In all of the suburbs that have been mentioned, you'll be paying a lot, lot more, especially if you don't want to be in a back street where you don't have a view anyway.

We live in Mt Hawthon, 4 km's from the city(north), and if I stand at the top of our street, I can just see the city. Houses are mostly around the 400.000 mark.(we're renting )

Maybe if you go quite far north or south, along the coast, you might be able to get a house with a view of the ocean from you top floor, for less than 500.000, but I doubt it!!!

Anyway, maybe you have that much money, who knows

Good luck
Simone is offline  
Old Jul 1st 2005, 1:05 am
  #9  
Dutch expat/Aus citizen
 
Simone's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2003
Location: South East, Perth (was Holland)
Posts: 5,789
Simone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Views from Perth

Originally Posted by steve99
If you want an ocean view check out the western suburbs, from where the swan river opens into the ocean upto around scarborough/trigg area, if you want a house with a view in any of these your probably looking at around the $1M to $3M bracket, there are apartments which can you get views of the ocean from around $350K. Going above Trigg into the northen suburbs along the coast the price gradually drops down as you get further north. Around Hillarys, Ocean Reef etc you can probably get something around the $600K + mark. Once your up as far as Mindarie you might find something around the $400K mark. There are some blocks of land up this way with some views going for around the low $300's.

A number of the western suburbs get city views, but its limited to specific streets, there are a number of hills running sort of through Floreat up through wembley downs/churchalnds into Scarborough and high areas on these can get distant views of the ocean or the city.
Doubleview (funnily enough) has views of both the city and the ocean, although im not sure that many property's have both, and those that do would reflect this in the price.
There are various Lakes around which are also fairly popular and attract higher sales prices than the average for that suburb.

As always, budget is going to pretty much govern things, decide how much your gonna spend, get a car, get a good map and get driving around.

Steve
ha ha, we posted at EXACTLY the same time, and with a similar subject, though I was more guessing, and you've got some better info
Simone is offline  
Old Jul 1st 2005, 1:14 am
  #10  
Living in Perthection
 
steve99's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2003
Location: Wickedy WA WA...
Posts: 1,868
steve99 has a reputation beyond reputesteve99 has a reputation beyond reputesteve99 has a reputation beyond reputesteve99 has a reputation beyond reputesteve99 has a reputation beyond reputesteve99 has a reputation beyond reputesteve99 has a reputation beyond reputesteve99 has a reputation beyond reputesteve99 has a reputation beyond reputesteve99 has a reputation beyond reputesteve99 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Views from Perth

Originally Posted by Simone
ha ha, we posted at EXACTLY the same time, and with a similar subject, though I was more guessing, and you've got some better info
We must have a similar routine of logging on and checking through for anything Perth related since yesterday
steve99 is offline  
Old Jul 1st 2005, 9:04 am
  #11  
Off to Perth in early Oct
Thread Starter
 
Joined: Jan 2005
Location: Secret Harbour, WA
Posts: 968
youcanlaugh is a jewel in the roughyoucanlaugh is a jewel in the roughyoucanlaugh is a jewel in the roughyoucanlaugh is a jewel in the roughyoucanlaugh is a jewel in the rough
Default Re: Views from Perth

Thanks Steve99, Simone & SaraLiz. Lots of good info for me to start churning through. I'll hopefully be making the move out there in September, so starting to look into this kind of info in more depth now, although I agree that a car, map and a few weeks is really what is needed.

How did you all decide on your locations when you orginally moved there, and how long did it take you to decide on a suburb?
youcanlaugh is offline  
Old Jul 4th 2005, 12:48 am
  #12  
Living in Perthection
 
steve99's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2003
Location: Wickedy WA WA...
Posts: 1,868
steve99 has a reputation beyond reputesteve99 has a reputation beyond reputesteve99 has a reputation beyond reputesteve99 has a reputation beyond reputesteve99 has a reputation beyond reputesteve99 has a reputation beyond reputesteve99 has a reputation beyond reputesteve99 has a reputation beyond reputesteve99 has a reputation beyond reputesteve99 has a reputation beyond reputesteve99 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Views from Perth

Originally Posted by youcanlaugh
Thanks Steve99, Simone & SaraLiz...
How did you all decide on your locations when you orginally moved there, and how long did it take you to decide on a suburb?
It took a year of being in rented accomodation, and then we bought in City Beach.
Rented in Cottesloe originally, but for what you could buy there, we decided it was too expensive and not worth the money so opted for City Beach. (and we're very glad we did)

It basically came down to $$$, and getting the best we could for the money we had, we worked out how much we could afford to spend and listed the things we wanted, then started looking.

For us we wanted to be near the beach and ocean, within a 20 min drive of the city and fremantle (fed up of doing an hour+ round the M25 to get to work), close to Subiaco and Claremont (cafe's/restaurants/shopping areas we like)
somewhere where there were bus or train routes so we could go out for a without having to drive.
Somewhere where all the houses arent crammed on top of each other, and a house that we could renovate and make our own (with a pool )
And one that we thought was a good long term investment.

Having started out in Cottesloe, we already knew the western suburbs pretty well so really looked at Cottesloe, Mosman Park, Swanbourne, Claremont, City Beach, and bits of Wembley Downs and Floreat.

City Beach seemed the best combination of everthing we wanted, we missed out on the 1st place we were interested in (thankfully in the end) as we ended up with a much nicer place.
Best decision we ever made.
Steve
steve99 is offline  

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.