Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Views on Adelaide

Views on Adelaide

Old Mar 20th 2003, 12:36 pm
Just Joined

arid is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Views on Adelaide

We are travelling to Australia this May for a short holiday – the last time was 30-years ago and then it was Bunbury, Perth & Geraldton – this time we would like to look at the either Adelaide or the East Coast area - may consider retiring to either area so would like to get opinions of the Adelaide region, positive or negative from those already there.

Many thanks
Old Mar 20th 2003, 5:34 pm
Forum Regular

sam&steve is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Views on Adelaide

Originally posted by arid
We are travelling to Australia this May for a short holiday – the last time was 30-years ago and then it was Bunbury, Perth & Geraldton – this time we would like to look at the either Adelaide or the East Coast area - may consider retiring to either area so would like to get opinions of the Adelaide region, positive or negative from those already there.

Many thanks
Hi Arid,

We too are going to Adelaide (got visas waiting for house to sell (been 2 weeks!!!) Have NEVER been to OZ
but if you type in Adelaide on the search at the bottom of the page you will get info from old and new posts.
Hope this helps

Sam
Old Mar 20th 2003, 6:55 pm
BE Forum Addict

mashiraz is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi

We are heading to Adelaide. We've been 3 times as we have friends there and like it alot. It's small and friendly, but cosmopolitan aswell. It also has the cheapest housing. It is hot and quite dry, but stretches up and down the coast with mountain ranges behind. The city centre is circled by gardens which makes it very plesant. Nearby is the Barossa Valley - need I say more.

Enjoy your trip, when in Adelaide go see trams in Glenelg, Mount Lofty, Victor Harbor (further south), botanical gardens, a day trip to barossa valley, boat on the Torrens river, go see Murray River...

Lots to do
Mash...

Originally posted by arid

Many thanks
Old Mar 20th 2003, 7:04 pm
Forum Regular

Marlo has a brilliant futureMarlo has a brilliant futureMarlo has a brilliant futureMarlo has a brilliant futureMarlo has a brilliant futureMarlo has a brilliant futureMarlo has a brilliant future

[QUOTE]Originally posted by arid

Hi Arid,

If you go to the home page (on this site), over on the right where it says Regional sites, click onto Australia and then you will find a family who has been living in Adelaide since 1998 who has written about their experiences there.

Hope this helps you

Marlo
Old Mar 20th 2003, 7:23 pm
kernowjmh23

We were in Adelaide last month on a reccy trip - city is very quiet compared to other Australian cities but this does kind of grow on you after a few days there - very much a lifestyle city with loads and loads of places to eat out and about - surprisingly green and leafy, too - did find the surroundings much drier than I thought I would, though - the hills, valleys and the Fleurieu seemed parched, tinder dry and seemed drought-stricken - a huge contrast from the green of England - but then, as I always say - if you want green, you gotta put up with the rain that goes with it! The gulf St Vincent was lovely and warm - perfect temp for dipping your toes into...
Jon

Old Mar 21st 2003, 8:59 am
Just Joined

arid is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by kernowjmh23
We were in Adelaide last month on a reccy trip - city is very quiet compared to other Australian cities but this does kind of grow on you after a few days there - very much a lifestyle city with loads and loads of places to eat out and about - surprisingly green and leafy, too - did find the surroundings much drier than I thought I would, though - the hills, valleys and the Fleurieu seemed parched, tinder dry and seemed drought-stricken - a huge contrast from the green of England - but then, as I always say - if you want green, you gotta put up with the rain that goes with it! The gulf St Vincent was lovely and warm - perfect temp for dipping your toes into...
Jon
Many thanks to all those who replied....