Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Viewed a house to buy!!

Viewed a house to buy!!

Old Mar 13th 2004, 6:57 am
Badge

Default Viewed a house to buy!!

Haven't met the neighbours yet but its a nice suburb. So far, the paperwork is going along nicely, its inside our budget and we can move in before the onset of winter.

badge
Attached Thumbnails Viewed a house to buy!!-badgehouse.jpg  

Old Mar 13th 2004, 6:59 am
The Godfather

Bordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to behold

Looks like one round corner from me, which suburb??
Old Mar 13th 2004, 7:02 am
Badge

Vermont South nr Glen Waverly!

Old Mar 13th 2004, 7:04 am
The Godfather

Bordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to behold

Ohh your pretty close to Ramsay St in Neighbours then
Old Mar 13th 2004, 7:06 am
Badge

Really - the name of the street is Pineoak Court, do they film near there?

Badge

Old Mar 13th 2004, 7:08 am
The Godfather

Yes Pin Oak Court is Ramsay Street & they do film there. Also get lots of tourists to. It was the highlight of my Mother in Laws visit to Melb getting her pic taken outside Harolds house. How Sad.
Old Mar 13th 2004, 7:11 am
Badge

bugger.

No wonder it was such a bargain, I'll be getting camera crews around alot then!!

Badge

PS Well spotted mate. Wondered how long it would take!!
As I took the picture, a family walked by and said 'we get a lot of people, particularly English here'.

Old Mar 13th 2004, 7:15 am
The Godfather

Did you not go in for a cuppa with Harold then ??
Old Mar 13th 2004, 8:22 am
We arrived november 2004

kentcoast is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by Bordy
Did you not go in for a cuppa with Harold then ??

Yes I was thinking it looked liked Harolds house sad I know
Old Mar 13th 2004, 8:27 am
Waitin for my RPL result.

phyonics is an unknown quantity at this point

Sad, but I spotted it straight away too.....!

Everyone knows that life in Australia is Neighbours anyway.....just like life in England is all queens English and bowler hats eh?

Marko
Old Mar 13th 2004, 8:54 am
joem

Looks nice, I hope you've got green fingers badge
Attached Thumbnails Viewed a house to buy!!-badgehouse.jpg  

Old Mar 13th 2004, 9:01 am
Badge

Default speaking beautifully

Originally posted by phyonics
Sad, but I spotted it straight away too.....!
sad yes. I knew it was a neighbour's house but even after a childhood of watching it occasionally didn't know it was his ;-)
Originally posted by phyonics
just like life in England is all queens English and bowler hats eh?
like the way all English people speak beautifully. This I laugh at - you only have to watch many Life in the Sun programmes to know that many English people have weird and wonderful accents ;-) One of the things I like about the Australian accent is that its pretty much the same everywhere and easy on the ear.

I had an Australian say to me today that I didn't have an English accent that she could detect,(!) wow? but said that she thought generally English people spoke beautifully. Not that she has ever been to the UK!!

Also, I had a English person ask me for directions today. I was amazed at how softly spoken he was. To start with, I thought, ' righto, hang on, this guy's a bit lacking in confidence', then the penny dropped. I was amazed he didn't thank me and then say "English, yeah?" after the formalities were over. I wanted to call him back and say "I'm English too mate!', but he turned on his heel, and continued up the street and I was left wringing my hands and a unsaid sentence on my lips. Oh well.

Does anyone else have these 'what do I say to English people dilemmas'? Do you put on your best Mary Poppins Dick Van Dyke accent and invite them in for a cuppa and talk about the 'old country', or do you not discriminate ie.treat them like the tourist they naturally are?

Badge

Edited for grammar, composition, and a question. I have decided to work a bit on my grammar people. yadda yadda

Last edited by badgersmount; Mar 13th 2004 at 9:16 am.

Old Mar 13th 2004, 9:46 am
joem

Default Re: speaking beautifully

Originally posted by badgersmount
I had an Australian say to me today that I didn't have an English accent that she could detect,(!)
You've got to be kidding! How long have you been here?

joem

Old Mar 13th 2004, 9:56 am
Badge

Default Re: speaking beautifully

Originally posted by joem
You've got to be kidding! How long have you been here?

joem
3 months in 2004, 12 in 2002.

I think she meant she couldn't detect ANY accent that stood out in particular. I have a fairly non accent, it's kind of non descript, no obvious regions to hang on to or identify. Not northern, not particularly London, although Northerners would say London, Londoners don't think so. Often people can detect a combination of possibles, but are left 'unsure', and have to ask.

Some English people in the past have even take me for a South African, which puzzled me for years - my brother has been asked the same.

And once, many years ago, I was asked if I was Australian - long before I ever had a twinkle in my eye for my Australian girlfriend. The person was Australian, and said, you even look Australian. This was 2000, 2 years before I even went.

That is the sum total of people's comments on the matter.

So no flames please....I'm English!

Badge

Last edited by badgersmount; Mar 13th 2004 at 9:59 am.

Old Mar 13th 2004, 9:59 am
joem

You poor bugger

joem

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.