Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

A view and some advice on the Australian apprenticeship system

A view and some advice on the Australian apprenticeship system

Old Aug 30th 2010, 9:18 am
Forum Regular

exsquaddie is a name known to allexsquaddie is a name known to allexsquaddie is a name known to allexsquaddie is a name known to allexsquaddie is a name known to allexsquaddie is a name known to allexsquaddie is a name known to allexsquaddie is a name known to allexsquaddie is a name known to allexsquaddie is a name known to allexsquaddie is a name known to all
Exclamation A view and some advice on the Australian apprenticeship system

Following on from the announcement of a possible skilled trade shortage down here I thought I would offer my two cents on the subject, as (which ever government we will end up with) if they are going to sort out the shortage with home grown apprentices then its going to a be long wait.

Was working as a mature age plumbing apprentice last year until laid off through lack of work and found pretty much the whole system catered for school leavers along with many of the incentives for employers. Nothing wrong with this you might say however many of the youngsters fall foul of the system by being laid off at the drop of a hat and/or quitting after not completing the required years. Trust me there are a lot of useless bosses out there who simply want to use the cheap labour provided by apprentices whilst not training them at all.

Although many of the trades eg plumbing, chippy, boilermaker are all competency based if attending the TAFE training colleges (the quicker you show satisfactory performance the quicker you progress), this does however mean nothing as it all comes down to your boss signing you off into your next year. As I found out this also means them increasing your wage which they maybe unable to afford (given that certain trades are vulnerable to downturns especailly builders), so again you are at the whim of your immediate boss in actually qualifying or progressing through the apprenticeship wether you are competent or not.

The fact that you have to be 'employed as an apprentice' before you can complete these competencies at TAFE is where the system falls down in Australia. In the UK you can enrol on a City and Guilds course at a registered training centre independant of an employer and learn the theory before going out as semi trained tradesperson and then get your experience on the job. This is far better for mature age apprentices who are more likely to make a serious go of their respective trade and complete the course and for the school leavers (especially if they've paid money for it). I realise that alot of tradies both expat and native will scream in horror at this idea, but there in lies the problem especially with the Unions who have a vice like grip on the trades down here and seem to hate any change to the status quo.

To any expat parents of sons & daughters and/or potential mature age apprentices who are wanting start an apprenticeship down under consider these points first:

1.Try for a larger and well established company, make sure the boss and company are reputable and are not going to use them as cheap labour!

2. Make sure that boss/company has you always enrolled for the next TAFE module (which btw is way underfunded and never has enough places available, hence the need for more de regulation).

3. If still in the UK before coming over, time and money permitting try a City and Gulids course in the respective trade as this can go towards some recognition of prior learning and on the the recomendation of skillstech/tafe you can potentially qualify sooner rather than having to do a full 4 years. This website can offer more info:

apprenticeship.http://www.skillstech.tafe.qld.gov.au/

4. If you are NOT a permanent resident then you will NOT qualify for any of the incentives such as tools for trade or the wages uplift

5. If you are trying to find an employer to take you on as an apprentice hand your CV's in to a trade supply shop eg for plumbing Reece, Tradelink (Dont even bother looking on seek or careerone)

Lastly BE WARNED some of the tradies down under think this is still the nineteenth century in the way they speak to and treat school leavers and as I've seen myself especially if the younger apprentice has a pommie accent expect to cop alot of it! (Did not cop it myself being older and uglier, although one idiot did try and regretted it!) Obviously this comes with the territory and depends which trade you are learning but if you're a good tradie it doesn’t mean you are a good teacher also. However if you can overcome these minus points then it is worth it especially if you're wanting to be sparkie (they CAN make the most money) and there are some decent Aussie tradies out there some where.....
Old Aug 31st 2010, 12:02 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

fish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: A view and some advice on the Australian apprenticeship system

Good post. Seems you are onto something What you are talking about sounds a little like a Gillard proposal:

Meanwhile, Prime Minster Julia Gillard has unveiled the first major policy designed to tackle Australia's skills crisis, announcing that her Government would introduce a national trade cadetships program to help secondary students make the transition from school to an apprenticeship.

Under the $3 million program, secondary students who do not plan to pursue a university degree will be able to enter the national trade cadetships program while still at school.

Gillard says the qualification earned via the program will be recognised as part of a standard apprenticeship training program.

"It's an important step forward because it makes it easier for kids who want to get a qualification that is recognised," Gillard told reporters this morning.

She said the program would stand alongside the Government's current vocational skills programs, which currently involve more than 220,000 school students. However, Gillard says many of these vocational student training programs are not recognised outside the schools system.

(http://www.smartcompany.com.au/polit...adetships.html)
Old Sep 1st 2010, 8:00 am
Forum Regular

exsquaddie is a name known to allexsquaddie is a name known to allexsquaddie is a name known to allexsquaddie is a name known to allexsquaddie is a name known to allexsquaddie is a name known to allexsquaddie is a name known to allexsquaddie is a name known to allexsquaddie is a name known to allexsquaddie is a name known to allexsquaddie is a name known to all

Originally Posted by fish.01
Good post. Seems you are onto something What you are talking about sounds a little like a Gillard proposal:

Meanwhile, Prime Minster Julia Gillard has unveiled the first major policy designed to tackle Australia's skills crisis, announcing that her Government would introduce a national trade cadetships program to help secondary students make the transition from school to an apprenticeship.

Under the $3 million program, secondary students who do not plan to pursue a university degree will be able to enter the national trade cadetships program while still at school.

Gillard says the qualification earned via the program will be recognised as part of a standard apprenticeship training program.

"It's an important step forward because it makes it easier for kids who want to get a qualification that is recognised," Gillard told reporters this morning.

She said the program would stand alongside the Government's current vocational skills programs, which currently involve more than 220,000 school students. However, Gillard says many of these vocational student training programs are not recognised outside the schools system.

(http://www.smartcompany.com.au/polit...adetships.html)
Cheers glad someone replied! Was expecting loads of ticked off tradies wanting to have a go!

The whole system is out of date and needs changing but by the looks of it from what you're saying Labor are still going to concentrate on the school leavers!
Old Sep 1st 2010, 8:10 am

>Trigger< has a reputation beyond repute>Trigger< has a reputation beyond repute>Trigger< has a reputation beyond repute>Trigger< has a reputation beyond repute>Trigger< has a reputation beyond repute>Trigger< has a reputation beyond repute>Trigger< has a reputation beyond repute>Trigger< has a reputation beyond repute>Trigger< has a reputation beyond repute>Trigger< has a reputation beyond repute>Trigger< has a reputation beyond repute

I gotta a few English/Scottish tradie mates here..chippies,plumbers and a spark and they will only take on expat apprentices...they prefer them because they know that their familys will support them in getting to the end of their apprenticeship...so I guess the "system" is starting to correct itself a little bit
Old Sep 1st 2010, 8:36 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by >Trigger<
I gotta a few English/Scottish tradie mates here..chippies,plumbers and a spark and they will only take on expat apprentices...they prefer them because they know that their familys will support them in getting to the end of their apprenticeship...so I guess the "system" is starting to correct itself a little bit
Worked with alot of expat fellow tradies and they were great to work with ( alot more chilled out than the natives!). On some sites especially the Union run ones there was a 'them and us attitude' with the Aussie tradies, got the impression they didnt like us being there. Obviously it might be the same roles reversed, however but it just felt to me like being in the 1980's (auf wietersien pet any body?) at the drop of a hat STRIKE!!!!!!!!!!
Old Sep 1st 2010, 1:53 pm
Forum Regular

tenpoundpom is an unknown quantity at this point
Exclamation Re: A view and some advice on the Australian apprenticeship system

oh im worried now! my son is currently at college (mechanic course)..our plans were for him to continue with this over there at tafe!!..this doesnt seem to be as easy as we thought, after reading your thread ..we cant seem to find out much information...any more info would be a great help!..this is my first post!!..so far im finding this really helpful
Old Sep 2nd 2010, 1:05 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by tenpoundpom
oh im worried now! my son is currently at college (mechanic course)..our plans were for him to continue with this over there at tafe!!..this doesnt seem to be as easy as we thought, after reading your thread ..we cant seem to find out much information...any more info would be a great help!..this is my first post!!..so far im finding this really helpful
Sorry to get you worried! But this subject rarely gets touched on for some reason on all of the chat forums, so if I can pass on any info hopefully people will be better prepared.....

I found the same problems trying to research Oz apprenticeships in the UK there isn't hardly any relevent info on how to start or go about finding an apprenticeship if you are an immigrant.

Alot will depend if you are going to be granted PR (Permanent Residency) straight away. Get you're son booked in for RPL assesment as soon as you land down under this website as an example might help:

http://www.wit.tafensw.edu.au/course...nition-and-rpl

Each state has its own TAFE institute (to make matters more complicated) so the process will vary. Also get it booked ASAP as the priority is always given to Australian and NOT new arrivals sadly. Depending on what tafe say on their recommendation he will need a job placement FIRST before he can start the modules he needs to complete. This again will depend on if you are a PR and then the employer and your son will be entitled to the Benefits.

As I've said before its all (at the moment until the idiots in charge realise it needs reform)designed for home grown school leavers so dont expect any special treatment I'm afraid. It all depends on finding an employer who will sponsor your son. This site might help also:

http://getaccess.wa.gov.au/careers/p...data/OCC34.asp

Any other questions fire em my way! Good luck!
Old Sep 3rd 2010, 7:57 am
Forum Regular

thanks for all your advice exsquaddie..whats a rpl assesment?..he has a australian passport/citizenship..due to decent.
so it looks pretty much like nothing really can be done until we touch down in oz!..employment for him must be found first! do you think this will be a difficult thing?..at the moment he is considering staying here to finish off his mechanic course!..but still when he gets there he will have to find employment to finish off his training!!..i must again thank for the links..its western australia were looking at with hubby being a plasterer (apparently more construction work there)..anyway the tafe there seems to be quite far out!..ive google mappep it..they all seem to be 200/300k inland so lots of travelling..were still undecided on area!..all giving me headaches ...just looking to the fact all will be worth it!..
Old Sep 3rd 2010, 1:40 pm
Forum Regular

Youre welcome tenpoundpom! It will make life so much easier for you that youre son is a true blue Aus citizen! Even if the way they way go about it down here is well out of date!

Sorry my ex-army days coming through there (hense the user name!) RPL stands for Recognition of Prior Learning so that TAFE will assess his skills that have been learn't so far and then give a recommendation as to how many competences he has completed.

Good Luck any way! Any other questions fire em my way have got lots of experience with apprenticeships down here by learning the hard way!

PS there are some other fishy smelling ex-British servicemen on BE who make use of acronyms so BEAWARE!
Old Sep 3rd 2010, 3:33 pm
Forum Regular

thanks again you have been most helpful
Originally Posted by exsquaddie
Youre welcome tenpoundpom! It will make life so much easier for you that youre son is a true blue Aus citizen! Even if the way they way go about it down here is well out of date!

Sorry my ex-army days coming through there (hense the user name!) RPL stands for Recognition of Prior Learning so that TAFE will assess his skills that have been learn't so far and then give a recommendation as to how many competences he has completed.

Good Luck any way! Any other questions fire em my way have got lots of experience with apprenticeships down here by learning the hard way!

PS there are some other fishy smelling ex-British servicemen on BE who make use of acronyms so BEAWARE!
Old Sep 3rd 2010, 5:47 pm
Shiny Arse Know All

ROMFT_WO2RN has a reputation beyond reputeROMFT_WO2RN has a reputation beyond reputeROMFT_WO2RN has a reputation beyond reputeROMFT_WO2RN has a reputation beyond reputeROMFT_WO2RN has a reputation beyond reputeROMFT_WO2RN has a reputation beyond reputeROMFT_WO2RN has a reputation beyond reputeROMFT_WO2RN has a reputation beyond reputeROMFT_WO2RN has a reputation beyond reputeROMFT_WO2RN has a reputation beyond reputeROMFT_WO2RN has a reputation beyond repute

Oi, less of the EX Percy

20 months to go so definitely RDP so DSMSMR
Old Sep 4th 2010, 1:34 am
Forum Regular

stickygreen has a brilliant futurestickygreen has a brilliant futurestickygreen has a brilliant futurestickygreen has a brilliant futurestickygreen has a brilliant futurestickygreen has a brilliant futurestickygreen has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by ROMFT_WO2RN
Oi, less of the EX Percy

NFI?
Old Sep 4th 2010, 1:40 am
Forum Regular

stickygreen has a brilliant futurestickygreen has a brilliant futurestickygreen has a brilliant futurestickygreen has a brilliant futurestickygreen has a brilliant futurestickygreen has a brilliant futurestickygreen has a brilliant future

Do you fancy meeting up for beer or two Shipmate? You can regale me with your tales of daring do and I can bore you with my alcoholic non-heroic global misadventures!

Alternately we can compare & contrast the constructivist approach to teaching verses the teacher centred approach with a little of Gardners multiple intelligence's thrown in for good measure...
Old Sep 4th 2010, 6:56 am
Shiny Arse Know All

ROMFT_WO2RN has a reputation beyond reputeROMFT_WO2RN has a reputation beyond reputeROMFT_WO2RN has a reputation beyond reputeROMFT_WO2RN has a reputation beyond reputeROMFT_WO2RN has a reputation beyond reputeROMFT_WO2RN has a reputation beyond reputeROMFT_WO2RN has a reputation beyond reputeROMFT_WO2RN has a reputation beyond reputeROMFT_WO2RN has a reputation beyond reputeROMFT_WO2RN has a reputation beyond reputeROMFT_WO2RN has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by stickygreen
NFI?
only in GRT and ALA
Old Sep 5th 2010, 12:21 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by ROMFT_WO2RN
Oi, less of the EX Percy

Ha Ha Jim lad!! Shiver me timbers and Roger the Cabin Boy! Hook line and sinker!!

Knew it would'nt take long before my bait was taken! 20months to go? Are you sure there will still be an RN after the SDR? At least as I read they scrapped the idea of sharing aircraft carriers with the French!Mon dieu c'est ridicule! Not the old enemy!!!!!!

Definitely got me that last one....???? Oh well back to the ISTAR via the NAFFII and the LUP past the FRV

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.