Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Video player question

Video player question

Old Oct 5th 2005, 6:56 am
BE Forum Addict

ali south has a brilliant futureali south has a brilliant futureali south has a brilliant futureali south has a brilliant futureali south has a brilliant futureali south has a brilliant futureali south has a brilliant futureali south has a brilliant future
Default Video player question

Hi
I have an old video player and about 10 home videos of the kids when they were babies. Will my video work in Australia. I am not bringing any TVs. I can fit the video in one of my small boxes???
Should I bother?
Tara
Old Oct 5th 2005, 7:06 am
Back in Uk and loving it

Emzee has a brilliant futureEmzee has a brilliant futureEmzee has a brilliant futureEmzee has a brilliant futureEmzee has a brilliant futureEmzee has a brilliant futureEmzee has a brilliant futureEmzee has a brilliant future
Default Re: Video player question

Originally Posted by ali south
Hi
I have an old video player and about 10 home videos of the kids when they were babies. Will my video work in Australia. I am not bringing any TVs. I can fit the video in one of my small boxes???
Should I bother?
Tara
You will be able to connect your VCR to an Australian TV, however you will only be able to play British tapes in it. The only other option for you is to transfer your VCR tapes onto DVD, there are companies in England that do it if you do not own a recordable DVD player.
Old Oct 5th 2005, 7:45 am
Forum Regular

extrameant is just really niceextrameant is just really niceextrameant is just really niceextrameant is just really niceextrameant is just really niceextrameant is just really niceextrameant is just really niceextrameant is just really niceextrameant is just really niceextrameant is just really niceextrameant is just really nice

Originally Posted by Emzee
You will be able to connect your VCR to an Australian TV, however you will only be able to play British tapes in it. The only other option for you is to transfer your VCR tapes onto DVD, there are companies in England that do it if you do not own a recordable DVD player.
Actually, an aussie VHS player will play your UK recorded VHS tapes, so you could just bring your tapes with you. Unless your video recorder is a really old betamax player in which case bring your player cos betamax doesn't exist now.

It can be worth bringing your old player anyway, if your tapes are important to you. Sometimes players get out of alignment and only they will play back a tape they make, where another player will not be able to play them at all.

I agree that it would be best to put your tapes onto DVD because tapes get chewed and start to fade after a while so you could easily lose the content.
Old Oct 5th 2005, 7:52 am
BE Forum Addict

ali south has a brilliant futureali south has a brilliant futureali south has a brilliant futureali south has a brilliant futureali south has a brilliant futureali south has a brilliant futureali south has a brilliant futureali south has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by extrameant
Actually, an aussie VHS player will play your UK recorded VHS tapes, so you could just bring your tapes with you. Unless your video recorder is a really old betamax player in which case bring your player cos betamax doesn't exist now.

It can be worth bringing your old player anyway, if your tapes are important to you. Sometimes players get out of alignment and only they will play back a tape they make, where another player will not be able to play them at all.

I agree that it would be best to put your tapes onto DVD because tapes get chewed and start to fade after a while so you could easily lose the content.
putting these precious memories on DVD is a fantastic idea and something I have been meaning to do for yours, really must do it NOW
Thanks
everyone
Tara
Old Nov 4th 2005, 3:14 pm
BE Enthusiast

jacknscoob has much to be proud ofjacknscoob has much to be proud ofjacknscoob has much to be proud ofjacknscoob has much to be proud ofjacknscoob has much to be proud ofjacknscoob has much to be proud ofjacknscoob has much to be proud ofjacknscoob has much to be proud ofjacknscoob has much to be proud ofjacknscoob has much to be proud ofjacknscoob has much to be proud of
Smile Re: Video player question

Originally Posted by ali south
putting these precious memories on DVD is a fantastic idea and something I have been meaning to do for yours, really must do it NOW
Thanks
everyone
Tara
Hello, so if I bring out my existing (fairly modern) VCR player, will I be able to buy new blank VCR tapes in Aus? Are they expensive?

Also, here in the UK I use the 'VidoePlus' facility, where you can just key in a code that relates to a TV programme, numbers are listed in the TV Times, does such a facility exist in Aus??

The Spinkways