Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Victorians.. I need your advice! :)

Victorians.. I need your advice! :)

Old Feb 12th 2012, 12:42 am
BE Enthusiast

Mochinbach has a reputation beyond reputeMochinbach has a reputation beyond reputeMochinbach has a reputation beyond reputeMochinbach has a reputation beyond reputeMochinbach has a reputation beyond reputeMochinbach has a reputation beyond reputeMochinbach has a reputation beyond reputeMochinbach has a reputation beyond reputeMochinbach has a reputation beyond reputeMochinbach has a reputation beyond reputeMochinbach has a reputation beyond repute
Talking Victorians.. I need your advice! :)

Hi gang

This one's aimed at some of the longer term Expats who've been over here for a little while

I'm living in Adelaide at the moment but hubby and I are very seriously considering a move to VIC. We want to go and do a little recky of suburbs and, although I KNOW it's all subjective, it would be good to have a place to start.

We currently live in Grange, SA so we're used to the beach being a short walk away and a train line about 10 mins walk which goes into the city in about 30 mins. I also understand that Adelaide is a little place and so that might not be possible in VIC

We love Adelaide but just can't seem to get career satisfaction here and so are considering moving to a bigger city to see what we can see.

We currently pay $480 a week for a 3 bed rental and have kitty cats (also expats) so they need to be safe and away from big mean roads with big mean lorries.

I've looked on the Googly maps at the bayside area.. Am I right in thinking it will be a bit unlikely that we'd get a rental for the same price in that area? (I'm attempting to match lifestyles) Is the bayside area where you'd recommend to look based on what I've described? Where are you happy victorians settled? What would you recommend?

Thank you As always I'm grateful, in advance, for any help you can offer
Old Feb 12th 2012, 2:35 am
Victorian Evangelist

Buzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Victorians.. I need your advice! :)

Hi mate - I think we meet your criteria as we've lived here almost 5 years. I can't compare to Adelaide though as I've not been there yet.

We live in the Melbourne Bayside area, on the border of Mordialloc and Parkdale. Some friends who have just moved here a few weeks ago got a 3 bed rental for I think $480 per week, it is only a couple of years old so if you wanted an older house it might well be cheaper. From Mordialloc the train into the CBD is 30 - 40 mins on the train, add to that walking at both ends. You can drive quicker if you are lucky enough to have a parking space at work.

Our area is about 15-20 mins walk to the beach, a nice sandy bay beach.

If you want to know any more about living here, just ask away, we love it here but everyone has different requirements.

BB
Old Feb 12th 2012, 7:07 am
BE Enthusiast

Mochinbach has a reputation beyond reputeMochinbach has a reputation beyond reputeMochinbach has a reputation beyond reputeMochinbach has a reputation beyond reputeMochinbach has a reputation beyond reputeMochinbach has a reputation beyond reputeMochinbach has a reputation beyond reputeMochinbach has a reputation beyond reputeMochinbach has a reputation beyond reputeMochinbach has a reputation beyond reputeMochinbach has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Buzzy--Bee
Hi mate - I think we meet your criteria as we've lived here almost 5 years. I can't compare to Adelaide though as I've not been there yet.

We live in the Melbourne Bayside area, on the border of Mordialloc and Parkdale. Some friends who have just moved here a few weeks ago got a 3 bed rental for I think $480 per week, it is only a couple of years old so if you wanted an older house it might well be cheaper. From Mordialloc the train into the CBD is 30 - 40 mins on the train, add to that walking at both ends. You can drive quicker if you are lucky enough to have a parking space at work.

If you want to know any more about living here, just ask away, we love it here but everyone has different requirements.

BB
That sounds very simliar to our situation here at Grange. Rentals sound pretty similar in price then? Thanks for the info. We'll have to add that to our reckie list We love living where we do but career wise SA is becoming a bit hard to bear! We thought we'd try something new before we ended up buying a house here
Old Feb 12th 2012, 9:14 am
Forum Regular

bumble69 will become famous soon enoughbumble69 will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by Buzzy--Bee

BB
I was about to answer this thread, but being on the Mordialloc\Parkdale border, I can add nothing to this response other than "+1" (apart from the friends rental, I'm not a stalker).

We like it here too by the way.
Old Feb 12th 2012, 9:50 pm
snɐןɔ ʎʇıuɐs

GarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond repute

I'd suggest if you were doing a reccy that you also look at the western suburbs (Point Cook, Sanctuary Lakes). Won't hit all your requirements, but metro into the city is 20mins in rush hour and you can get more for your money.
Old Feb 13th 2012, 12:21 pm
ajw

Location: Melbourne - London - Bangkok - Melbourne - Kuala Lumpur - Melbourne
ajw has a reputation beyond reputeajw has a reputation beyond reputeajw has a reputation beyond reputeajw has a reputation beyond reputeajw has a reputation beyond reputeajw has a reputation beyond reputeajw has a reputation beyond reputeajw has a reputation beyond reputeajw has a reputation beyond reputeajw has a reputation beyond reputeajw has a reputation beyond repute

Maybe more house but thats about it.
Old Feb 14th 2012, 7:34 pm
BE Enthusiast

Kiwikaye has a reputation beyond reputeKiwikaye has a reputation beyond reputeKiwikaye has a reputation beyond reputeKiwikaye has a reputation beyond reputeKiwikaye has a reputation beyond reputeKiwikaye has a reputation beyond reputeKiwikaye has a reputation beyond reputeKiwikaye has a reputation beyond reputeKiwikaye has a reputation beyond reputeKiwikaye has a reputation beyond reputeKiwikaye has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ajw
Maybe more house but thats about it.
Agreed. You will get more house on the western side of the bay, but the other services are not great. There's another thread on here at the moment about Point Cook (you can do a search for it). The houses will look nice on the net, but having lived in one for 7 years, I found the new estate suburbs in Melbourne pretty soulless as far as community goes. We did get to know people through the kids, but you pretty much had to drive to get anywhere interesting.

Having said that, I'm sure you'll love Melbourne - bigger than Adelaide but not as many people as Sydney. It is a big city geographically though and areas vary widely.