Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Victorian Driving Theory Test

Wikiposts

Victorian Driving Theory Test

Old May 12th 2004, 6:09 pm
The Godfather

Bordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to behold

Originally posted by dracupg
Am I the only person here that when asked about the Victorian Driving Test thinks about a bloke walking in front of a car with a red flag?
You should see out Victorian houses Gordon. Can you spare a candle mate .
Old May 12th 2004, 6:18 pm
BE Enthusiast

dracupg is an unknown quantity at this point

Am I the only person here that when asked about the Victorian Driving Test thinks about a bloke walking in front of a car with a red flag?
Old May 12th 2004, 6:27 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally posted by Bordy
You should see out Victorian houses Gordon. Can you spare a candle mate .
Impressed that you managed to reply to my post before I posted it. That is some weird ESP thing you have got going.
Old May 12th 2004, 6:29 pm
The Godfather

Bordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to behold

Originally posted by dracupg
Impressed that you managed to reply to my post before I posted it. That is some weird ESP thing you have got going.

I scared myself there. Not had a drink since last weekend either, honest.
Old May 12th 2004, 6:40 pm
BE Enthusiast

Don’t suppose you could give me some lottery numbers could you?
Old May 13th 2004, 11:27 am
High in the Dandenongs

hevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond repute

Congrats on passing the test!!
I got randomly breathalised yesterday, on the Berwick Rd.

I was so excited to be able to flash my new Vic licence for the first time, but they din't want to see it, didn't even look at it
Old May 13th 2004, 11:27 am
High in the Dandenongs

hevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond repute

Congrats on passing the test!!
I got randomly breathalised yesterday, on the Berwick Rd.

I was so excited to be able to flash my new Vic licence for the first time, but they din't want to see it, didn't even look at it
Old May 13th 2004, 11:40 am
Just Joined

dunk is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Victorian Driving Theory Test

We have been here two months, so we only have one month left to convert and need to get a test booked soon.

Just to confirm this bit for anyone who (like me) is not sure how this works.

When you first get here, if you are a "permanent" resident, then you can only drive on our UK license for 3 months.

If you have a UK license, then you only have to do the written portion of the test - not the driving bit. This is not restricted to 3 months - it's for ever. The only problem being if you don't take the test within 3 months, then you can't obviously drive until you do.. :-)

Sorry to re-iterate, but I do remember reading here somewhere that if you didn't do your test within 3 months, then you would have to do the driving test as well - which is not the case (at least here in NSW anyway).

Cheers.
Old May 13th 2004, 11:42 am

bondipom is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by dunk
Just to confirm this bit for anyone who (like me) is not sure how this works.

When you first get here, if you are a "permanent" resident, then you can only drive on our UK license for 3 months.

If you have a UK license, then you only have to do the written portion of the test - not the driving bit. This is not restricted to 3 months - it's for ever. The only problem being if you don't take the test within 3 months, then you can't obviously drive until you do.. :-)

Sorry to re-iterate, but I do remember reading here somewhere that if you didn't do your test within 3 months, then you would have to do the driving test as well - which is not the case (at least here in NSW anyway).

Cheers.
The license lasts forever if you keep on paying to renew it.
Old May 13th 2004, 11:49 am
Just Joined

dunk is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by bondipom
The license lasts forever if you keep on paying to renew it.
??

What i was getting at was that i read here somwhere that your UK license only lasted 3 months here - and if you didn't take the aussie test within 3 months, then you would have to do the written AND the driving part.

This is not the case - you only have to do the written - regardless of when you do it.

Cheers.
Old Mar 29th 2005, 1:08 pm
Forum Regular

Sunny spells is an unknown quantity at this point

http://www.vicroads.vic.gov.au/vrne/...1000B3242?open

Overseas Licence Holders
As the following countries have similar licence standards to Australia, current overseas holders of licences from the recognised countries listed below are not required to complete any tests.

Austria, Denmark, Germany, Italy
Netherlands, Spain, UK, Belgium
Finland, Greece, Japan, Norway, Croatia
Sweden, USA, Canada, France, Singapore
Ireland, Luxemburg, Portugal, Switzerland

If you are from one of the recognised countries listed above, simply go into a VicRoads Customer Service Centre with:
your overseas licence*
proof of identity, and
pay the licence fee

*If your overseas licence is not in English, you will need to supply an official translation of the licence. An official translation can be obtained from your country of origin's Licensing authority, your consulate in Australia, the National Accreditation Authority for Translators and Interpreters (NAATI) or you can use an International Driving Permit.
A Victorian licence will then be issued to you.

Last updated on 22/02/2005

Last updated on 22/02/2005
Old Mar 29th 2005, 1:25 pm
Just Joined

spondyatwood is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by WhiteRose
I was just wondering if anyone had done the VicRoads driving theory test recently to convert their British licence to a Victorian one? We have been here two months, so we only have one month left to convert and need to get a test booked soon.

What is the test like? What format does it take? Also, how do you go about booking the test? Can you just go into a VicRoads office and do the test, or do you have to fill in a form like with the British driving test.

We have download a sample hazard awareness test from the VicRoads website, but this seems to be quite strange. Is the real test in the same format as this sample, or is it a different test.

I would be grateful for any info on the test.

Thanks,

Steve
Hi you no longer have to sit the test just take in your British Licence along with your passport and proof of address the fee (cant remember how much)
go to the reception desk.They give you a form to fill out (easy) take it to the counter they will give you a number have your photo taken (in the same place) and you get your licence there and then no hassles.It took me and my wife about twenty mins tops two months ago.You dont even need an appointment just turn up at any Vic roads place
Old Mar 29th 2005, 4:20 pm
Account Closed

Hels is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by spondyatwood
Hi you no longer have to sit the test just take in your British Licence along with your passport and proof of address the fee (cant remember how much)
go to the reception desk.They give you a form to fill out (easy) take it to the counter they will give you a number have your photo taken (in the same place) and you get your licence there and then no hassles.It took me and my wife about twenty mins tops two months ago.You dont even need an appointment just turn up at any Vic roads place

Ummmm...this thread was started over a year ago???

You had to do the test back then....