Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Victoria......or......South Australia.?

Wikiposts

Victoria......or......South Australia.?

Old Mar 29th 2005, 10:40 am
High in the Dandenongs

hevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Victoria......or......South Australia.?

Originally Posted by Bluerobot
But Hevs, your'ne dorgs gorr a prerrrry mouff.
She takes after her owner. And shes not being given away!! I'm worried when i go out that he might come and nick her from the yard

Pazza?? Its about 500 bricks and some knocking about, bring ya trowel
Old Mar 29th 2005, 1:25 pm
HUP
Brain Drained

HUP has a reputation beyond reputeHUP has a reputation beyond reputeHUP has a reputation beyond reputeHUP has a reputation beyond reputeHUP has a reputation beyond reputeHUP has a reputation beyond reputeHUP has a reputation beyond reputeHUP has a reputation beyond reputeHUP has a reputation beyond reputeHUP has a reputation beyond reputeHUP has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bluerobot
But Hevs, your'ne dorgs gorr a prerrrry mouff.

Have you been getting a SA education in animal husbandry
Old Mar 29th 2005, 8:56 pm
roorooney

roorooney is an unknown quantity at this point

Thank you so much for your info. My husband and I have just started the ball rolling to go to Oz on the skills programme and have been told we can go to Adelaide or Melbourne. I think Adelaide would suit us better. He is a spark - has anyone any idea what the work situation and salary is like in Adelaide for electricians?
Old Mar 29th 2005, 9:46 pm
The Godfather

Bordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by roorooney
Thank you so much for your info. My husband and I have just started the ball rolling to go to Oz on the skills programme and have been told we can go to Adelaide or Melbourne. I think Adelaide would suit us better. He is a spark - has anyone any idea what the work situation and salary is like in Adelaide for electricians?

They have Electricity in Adelaide now !!!!!

Wow things are coming on well.
Old Mar 30th 2005, 1:33 am
Banned

kiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond repute

Work for sparkies everywhere I would think , but just incase check this website out:

http://jobsearch.gov.au/default.aspx...e=0&TextOnly=0

Good Luck
Old Mar 30th 2005, 8:59 pm
roorooney

Wink Re: Victoria......or......South Australia.?

Thanks - also does anyone have any views on whether to sell your house before you go or rent it out? It seems such a long way to come back if you then decide to sell or if there are problems.
Old Apr 1st 2005, 9:12 am
Mount Eliza

Joanne has a brilliant futureJoanne has a brilliant futureJoanne has a brilliant futureJoanne has a brilliant futureJoanne has a brilliant futureJoanne has a brilliant futureJoanne has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by pazza
Hi everyone,

I,ve spent the last few weeks reading everyones threads, hoping to learn all the do,s and don'ts of applying for different visa's.
Yesterday, I got in touch with a well known agent (i think). I processed all my details; spouse, occupation, dependents and, .....age!!
As i'm a time served bricklayer by trade, he told me i'd have no problems getting a visa, but the visa would be a STNI visa, as they're crying out for brickies in Victoria and in South Australia.
The problem is, we (as a family), were really looking forward to maybe's working/living on the east coast ; Brisbane, Gold Coast. It seems that dream's been took away, by the fact that i'm 36 years old. Is it true, you can't state where you want to live, after a certain age. Surely 36's not classed as old. ?????????

So, if it's got to be Victoria or South Australia where would you recommend. Taking into account we've got two son's aged 10 & 6..

cheers
paz.
We were the same as you, except we wanted to go to Perth, then the points changed and we didnt have enough There was no way we were giving up, so we opted for STNI Victoria. Last October we visited Oz for the first time and spent the whole time around Geelong (about an hour from Melbourne) and loved it. Our kids are 10 and 5 and they didnt want to come home. I would say definately visit where you think you may like to live. It was the best decision we ever made, and we are now completely in love with Torquay, nr Geelong and no-where else will do.

At the end of the day, we've said that if we really havent settled after two years, we can try Perth, where we wanted to originally go!! Wots two years!!

Got TRA and STNI nominations, visa application sent off 2nd March, so keeping fingers crossed, Torquay here we come!!

Jo
Old Apr 1st 2005, 10:21 pm
Forum Regular

pazza is a name known to allpazza is a name known to allpazza is a name known to allpazza is a name known to allpazza is a name known to allpazza is a name known to allpazza is a name known to allpazza is a name known to allpazza is a name known to allpazza is a name known to allpazza is a name known to all
Smile Re: Victoria......or......South Australia.?

Originally Posted by Joanne
We were the same as you, except we wanted to go to Perth, then the points changed and we didnt have enough There was no way we were giving up, so we opted for STNI Victoria. Last October we visited Oz for the first time and spent the whole time around Geelong (about an hour from Melbourne) and loved it. Our kids are 10 and 5 and they didnt want to come home. I would say definately visit where you think you may like to live. It was the best decision we ever made, and we are now completely in love with Torquay, nr Geelong and no-where else will do.

At the end of the day, we've said that if we really havent settled after two years, we can try Perth, where we wanted to originally go!! Wots two years!!

Got TRA and STNI nominations, visa application sent off 2nd March, so keeping fingers crossed, Torquay here we come!!

Jo
Hi Jo,

Great to hear you've found somewhere you've fell in love with, considering it wasn't your chosen place initially.
Hope everything turns out well for you's.
We are going to Aussie in July/August for the first time. We were going to go down the east coast, but i think it'll benefit us better if we go to places (Adelaide, Melbourne), where we'll probably be living/working in.
Are you doing everything yourselves, or using an agent ?

Good Luck

Steve.
Old Apr 6th 2005, 3:01 am
Mount Eliza

Joanne has a brilliant futureJoanne has a brilliant futureJoanne has a brilliant futureJoanne has a brilliant futureJoanne has a brilliant futureJoanne has a brilliant futureJoanne has a brilliant future

Hi Jo,

Great to hear you've found somewhere you've fell in love with, considering it wasn't your chosen place initially.
Hope everything turns out well for you's.
We are going to Aussie in July/August for the first time. We were going to go down the east coast, but i think it'll benefit us better if we go to places (Adelaide, Melbourne), where we'll probably be living/working in.
Are you doing everything yourselves, or using an agent ?

Good Luck

Steve.
Yes were using an agent, dont think we'd have got this far without him. Couldnt bear the thought of ticking the wrong box and our application being refused, know what I mean, so we opted for an agent. We thought better safe than sorry!

Still no news on medicals or police checks, suppose its early days yet, but this waiting is driving me mad. I JUST WANT TO KNOW YES OR NO! Arrrgggghhh that feels better.
Old Apr 6th 2005, 10:48 pm
roorooney

Red face Re: Victoria......or......South Australia.?

I know the feeling - now we've made up our minds and got our heads round it I just want to be there - can't bear the thought that it may not even happen by the end of this year!
Old Apr 7th 2005, 2:48 am
roorooney

Angry Re: Victoria......or......South Australia.?

I am so depressed - I've just been told by our agent that the process will take between 12-15 months - I can't wait that long! Have your been given an estimate of how long it will all take?
Old Apr 10th 2005, 7:13 am
Mount Eliza

I am so depressed - I've just been told by our agent that the process will take between 12-15 months - I can't wait that long! Have your been given an estimate of how long it will all take?
Been told this last bit (applying for visa) takes about 3-4 months. Application been gone about 5 weeks now. Started this whole thing last September and that now seems ages ago, alot longer than 7 months, seem years and years. Or is it me thats just aged that much with all the stress!
Old Apr 10th 2005, 7:29 am
Forum Regular

pazza is a name known to allpazza is a name known to allpazza is a name known to allpazza is a name known to allpazza is a name known to allpazza is a name known to allpazza is a name known to allpazza is a name known to allpazza is a name known to allpazza is a name known to allpazza is a name known to all

Originally Posted by Joanne
Been told this last bit (applying for visa) takes about 3-4 months. Application been gone about 5 weeks now. Started this whole thing last September and that now seems ages ago, alot longer than 7 months, seem years and years. Or is it me thats just aged that much with all the stress!

It'll all be worth the stress when you're there, and you can look back and think it's well worth it.

Good Luck

paz
Old Apr 11th 2005, 7:17 am
Mount Eliza

It'll all be worth the stress when you're there, and you can look back and think it's well worth it.

Good Luck

paz

I really, really hope your right!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Jo
Old Apr 11th 2005, 8:38 am
wombat42

Originally Posted by Flying Banana
I spent a year living in Adelaide in 97 and have now had four months here in Melbourne and would happily live in either.

Both have pros and cons and I'd definitely say if you are just at the application stage try and make a holiday trip over here to decide.

As far as the two places go ozzieeagle has summed up Melbourne pretty well. It's a lot bigger than Adelaide but I've found it much friendlier, more relaxed and pleasant than Sydney (that's just a personal view for those who are in Sydney, it's a lovely city but I wouldn't be able to afford to live there).

First off climate, I'd say Adelaide is a bit warmer and sunnier, very Mediterranean, up to +40 in the summer (dry heat not humid) and gets a bit cold (by Aussie standards) and windy in the winter. In the year I was there the temperature never dropped below 4 degrees on the coldest winter nights.

Melbourne is a few degrees cooler generally and there are more days when it's a bit overcast and windy but there haven't been many days that there hasn't been some blue sky about yet.

Melbourne, being bigger probably has more shops, restaurants, pubs etc and it's still not expensive by UK standards. Adelaide has a fair bit less nightlife, it's there but you have to look for it. There are some fine restaurants in North Adelaide and down Rundle Street, probably much less in the way of ethnic foods as Melbourne has very large populations from all over the place.

There are less huge new shopping malls in the suburbs in Adelaide, Melbourne seems to have one for every suburb lol, but don't get me wrong there are plenty of shops in Adelaide.

Obviously being smaller Adelaide has less traffic congestion although most Aussies will tell you the South Australians are the worst drivers on the planet but I beg to differ (I'm saying no more on that or I'll get lynched lol). Public transport in Melbourne is a lot better, more train, bus and tram lines, but again compared to the medieval system once you get out of London it is better anywhere here.

Property prices are lower in Adelaide, I looked last year when I made my final decision where I was going and as a guide a nice 4 bed place in the outer Adelaide suburbs was going for about A$250k whereas similar place in Melbourne's outer suburbs was A$350 and where I am in SE 'burbs about 20km from the CBD you're looking at starting prices around $450-500k for the same.

As for things to do/see in the areas, Adelaide has a great beach at Glenelg, McLaren Vale vineyards to the south, the Barossa to the North and the views up in the Adelaide hills are truly stunning. There are plenty of golf courses, there is always a decent game or three of cricket at the Adleaide oval, there is the festival theatre, walking, riding, cycling along the river is great with a family and plenty of parks etc around.

Melbourne has the Yarra Valley vineyards nearby, the Dandenongs are spectacular, Philip Island is only an hour's drive, in the winter it's only an hour or two to the ski resorts (looking forward to trying them out soon). The city beaches aren't the nicest in the world but go out of Melbourne in either direction and there are some gorgeous unspoilt beaches. Of course there is the Great Ocean road heading West which is awesome.

In short I wouldn't like to say to someone one is better than the other, I suppose the quickest way of summing it up is that if you want to live in a proper city by European definition, with the hustle and bustle that goes with it then Melbourne, if you prefer somewhere smaller say Brighton size with a warmer climate (just) then Adelaide. Whichever you pick you won't go short of work both cities are growing rapidly and as a brickie you will be in demand.

I was amazed how far Melbourne had grown even in the year between visiting here for a recce and moving here. If you look on a map the true end of the Southern suburbs is now spreading out to Packenham and south to Cranbourne. THe western side of the bay is developing at a rapid rate too.

Hope this info has been helpful, if you want to know anything else or want a chat about any of what I've put then feel free to drop me PM.

Good luck with the visa application. By the way if you are dead set on the Gold Coast, have you looked at how long you need to stay in either VIctoria or South Australia before you can move? THere may be a difference and if you really want to end up in QLD then it would make sense to head for the one with the shortest qualifying period.
Thats the best comparison between Melbourne and Adelaide l have read. People considering both places should read your post.