Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Victoria schools + My son = What year?

Victoria schools + My son = What year?

Old Feb 20th 2008, 9:27 pm
Forum Regular

bubblegum_babe has a brilliant futurebubblegum_babe has a brilliant futurebubblegum_babe has a brilliant futurebubblegum_babe has a brilliant futurebubblegum_babe has a brilliant futurebubblegum_babe has a brilliant futurebubblegum_babe has a brilliant future
Default Victoria schools + My son = What year?

Hi All

I've been trying to find what year my son will fall into when we arrive in Oz but I can't find what I'm after or is there some way to work it out? I found the info for Primary years but I need Secondary school years (UK school years 7-11)

Thanks

Last edited by bubblegum_babe; Feb 20th 2008 at 10:50 pm.
Old Feb 20th 2008, 9:42 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Victoria schools + My son = What year?

What is his date of birth?
Old Feb 20th 2008, 10:52 pm
Forum Regular

bubblegum_babe has a brilliant futurebubblegum_babe has a brilliant futurebubblegum_babe has a brilliant futurebubblegum_babe has a brilliant futurebubblegum_babe has a brilliant futurebubblegum_babe has a brilliant futurebubblegum_babe has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by Wendy
What is his date of birth?
His date of birth is 30/03/1995
Old Feb 20th 2008, 11:13 pm
Just Joined

Claire1972 is an unknown quantity at this point

Hello I've been looking at this webste for some time but have only just got the courage to post Can I jump in and ask a similar question? I’m in a similar situation to yours with my two children but one is only a baby hes 18 months so I not need worry about him yet but I’m not sure about my daughter. If SA says they will sponser us my husbands job is in demand we will be applying for the 176 visa in October 2007 (just as she starts year 11) if all goes to plan and visa application takes approx 11 months we hope to land in Australia next summer (August 2008)

My daughter will be 16 and would have just completed year 11 and her GCSE's but in australia that will be halfway into the school year because when I loked their school year starts in January so I'm not sure what will happen. She would like to go to school in australia to make new friends and I think that would also be for the best but I don't know if that means she will be required to take her school exams 6 months after arriving and if so she said she would be prepared to go into year 10 and have 1.5 years to prepare for them. She was born in 3rd April 1992 Thank you

Last edited by Claire1972; Feb 20th 2008 at 11:19 pm. Reason: change date
Old Feb 21st 2008, 2:37 am
Hants to Mel Aug 05

Lindsay Clan is a name known to allLindsay Clan is a name known to allLindsay Clan is a name known to allLindsay Clan is a name known to allLindsay Clan is a name known to allLindsay Clan is a name known to allLindsay Clan is a name known to allLindsay Clan is a name known to allLindsay Clan is a name known to allLindsay Clan is a name known to allLindsay Clan is a name known to all

He will be in Year 8 during the school year now (Jan - Dec 08). My daughter was born July 95 and missed the cut off point of 30th April so your son should be in the year above her. Hope this helps.
Old Feb 21st 2008, 3:03 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Claire1972
Hello I've been looking at this webste for some time but have only just got the courage to post Can I jump in and ask a similar question? I’m in a similar situation to yours with my two children but one is only a baby hes 18 months so I not need worry about him yet but I’m not sure about my daughter. If SA says they will sponser us my husbands job is in demand we will be applying for the 176 visa in October 2007 (just as she starts year 11) if all goes to plan and visa application takes approx 11 months we hope to land in Australia next summer (August 2008)

My daughter will be 16 and would have just completed year 11 and her GCSE's but in australia that will be halfway into the school year because when I loked their school year starts in January so I'm not sure what will happen. She would like to go to school in australia to make new friends and I think that would also be for the best but I don't know if that means she will be required to take her school exams 6 months after arriving and if so she said she would be prepared to go into year 10 and have 1.5 years to prepare for them. She was born in 3rd April 1992 Thank you
Talk to the school either before you come or when you get here and they will advise you on whether they feel year 10 or 11 would be best for her, then you can go from there. I think I'd opt for the year 10 thing too, but I guess it depends on her and of course the school and what sort of things they could offer to help her catch up. It would be pretty stressful for her though I think and it's hard enough anyway when you're new.
Old Feb 21st 2008, 6:25 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

quoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bubblegum_babe
His date of birth is 30/03/1995
He could be in year 8 but his birthday is close to the cut off for Victoria which is 30 April so you may be offered year 7 as an alternative. If he is managing nicely then go along with year 8 but be aware that he is going to be one of the youngest ones.
Old Feb 21st 2008, 6:33 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

quoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond repute

Dont panic we dont have exams at the same time as in UK! In fact, Aus doesnt really "do" exams in the same way as UK at all. The final two years are pretty much of a progressive course and if she is prepared to spend 6 months in year 10 then she will begin year 11 in preparation for her final 2 years of school which would be far the easiest thing to do. I am still trying to find out what generally happens if kids move into those final two years from out of state. There is probably a capacity to transfer units and grades from interstate equivalents but because the UK system is so different I am not quite sure what they generally do. I think their preference would be for kids to take the full 2 year course.
Old Feb 21st 2008, 8:17 am
Just Joined

Thank you for your answers we feel better now about moving her at a older age and I have shown her this before she left for school. She did moan that I had put down her wrong date of birth I know that it would be easyer to have moved when she was younger but we could not back then because of extended family ties and work. She is good at school and is happy that she may be able to have GCSE grades and australian grades. She wants to be a nurse or vet. Is there any other ways that you found good for getting teenages to settle in when there and make friends?I am going to look at what clubs run after school and also in the area for example drama and netball so she can make some new friends that way also.
Old Feb 21st 2008, 8:32 am
Forum Regular

lee10ann is a jewel in the roughlee10ann is a jewel in the roughlee10ann is a jewel in the roughlee10ann is a jewel in the roughlee10ann is a jewel in the rough

Thank you for your answers we feel better now about moving her at a older age and I have shown her this before she left for school. She did moan that I had put down her wrong date of birth I know that it would be easyer to have moved when she was younger but we could not back then because of extended family ties and work. She is good at school and is happy that she may be able to have GCSE grades and australian grades. She wants to be a nurse or vet. Is there any other ways that you found good for getting teenages to settle in when there and make friends?I am going to look at what clubs run after school and also in the area for example drama and netball so she can make some new friends that way also.
Hi Clare

I am in the same position as you, i to have a son who is 16 on saturday and he leaves school this time, we plan on moving over in august 08 and i have had sleeples nights thinking what is the best way of settling tom in.
there was some interesting points in your replys, some more thinking to do, he will not be impressed about going back to school in australia, but if thats what it takes for him to make friends that what the way its going to be.

thanks

Ann
Old Feb 21st 2008, 10:13 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by lee10ann
Hi Clare

I am in the same position as you, i to have a son who is 16 on saturday and he leaves school this time, we plan on moving over in august 08 and i have had sleeples nights thinking what is the best way of settling tom in.
there was some interesting points in your replys, some more thinking to do, he will not be impressed about going back to school in australia, but if thats what it takes for him to make friends that what the way its going to be.

thanks

Ann
Ann dont know where you are going to but if you are going to Perth then he will have to go back to school until the end of the year that he turns 17. New rule, came in this year!

If he doesnt want to go back to school, you could look at getting him into TAFE to do his year 12 certificate along with some trade courses perhaps. If he wants to go to uni, then put him into year 10 when you arrive and he can do years 11 and 12 which will give him a year 12 certificate and a university entrance score.
Old Feb 21st 2008, 10:19 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Claire I just reread your message - will you be arriving here later this year - Aug 2008 or next year, Aug 2009? If 2009 then she will be a bit to old to go into year 10 for the second half of the year as she will be over 17. I am trying to find out what happens for 17 yr olds coming at the end of the 2 year course.
Old Feb 21st 2008, 12:05 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by quoll
Claire I just reread your message - will you be arriving here later this year - Aug 2008 or next year, Aug 2009? If 2009 then she will be a bit to old to go into year 10 for the second half of the year as she will be over 17. I am trying to find out what happens for 17 yr olds coming at the end of the 2 year course.
Yes sorry I have put down all the wrong dates I was thinking we are still in 2007 for some reason honestly I have been 'dizzy' since the birth of my son 18 months ago. We are applying in October 2008 this year and hope to land in August 2009 next year half way in to the australian school year. I even got her date of birth wrong which she was not inpressed with because I was calculating her age to the wrong year. my daughter will be 16 years and 4 months old so can she still be put into year 10 at that age? what year does she go in otherwise?

Last edited by Claire1972; Feb 21st 2008 at 12:08 pm.
Old Feb 21st 2008, 12:17 pm
Forum Regular

lee10ann is a jewel in the roughlee10ann is a jewel in the roughlee10ann is a jewel in the roughlee10ann is a jewel in the roughlee10ann is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by quoll
Ann dont know where you are going to but if you are going to Perth then he will have to go back to school until the end of the year that he turns 17. New rule, came in this year!

If he doesnt want to go back to school, you could look at getting him into TAFE to do his year 12 certificate along with some trade courses perhaps. If he wants to go to uni, then put him into year 10 when you arrive and he can do years 11 and 12 which will give him a year 12 certificate and a university entrance score.
Hi

Thanks for replying, i didnt know about the TAFE iv just read up on it, its a good option though, it also says he can get in with his GCSE fronm here which means he doesnt have to go to school and repeat the year.

Thanks again

Ann
Old Feb 21st 2008, 12:18 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by lee10ann
Hi

Thanks for replying, i didnt know about the TAFE iv just read up on it, its a good option though, it also says he can get in with his GCSE fronm here which means he doesnt have to go to school and repeat the year.

Thanks again

Ann
Sorry were going to the goldcoast flying out 15th august 08.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.