British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Australia (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/)
-   -   Victoria or Queensland (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/victoria-queensland-903580/)

LouP82 Sep 20th 2017 9:56 am

Victoria or Queensland

Good Morning all,

Myself and my husband have just started our Visa process to make the move over to Australia and due to the restrictions on my husbands job we have the option of either Victoria or Queensland.

Ideally we are looking for a family friendly area as we have a little girl of 16month. We currently live near the coast in the UK therefore being within reach of a beach is important. Also having good primary schools close by is important as my husband is a teacher.

Please excuse my ignorance as we are very much at the start of our journey and I am just currently researching various area.

If anyone has any advice/knowledge I would be really greatful.

Louise

Beoz Sep 20th 2017 10:29 am

Re: Victoria or Queensland

Originally Posted by LouP82 (Post 12342222)
Good Morning all,

Myself and my husband have just started our Visa process to make the move over to Australia and due to the restrictions on my husbands job we have the option of either Victoria or Queensland.

Ideally we are looking for a family friendly area as we have a little girl of 16month. We currently live near the coast in the UK therefore being within reach of a beach is important. Also having good primary schools close by is important as my husband is a teacher.

Please excuse my ignorance as we are very much at the start of our journey and I am just currently researching various area.

Louise

Victoria

jad n rich Sep 21st 2017 4:15 am

Originally Posted by LouP82 (Post 12342222)
Good Morning all,

Louise

I have lived in both, live mostly in Victoria, still have business in QLD and live overseas for about 4 months a year.

QLD and VIC are very different states, with huge areas of difference in each one.

But to summarize, QLD is far less populated and competitive. Jobs, houses, commuting in VIC usually involves a stampede of people for anything.

Housing in QLD will be half the price, incomes similar.

But you MUST like serious heat to consider QLD. Spring currently, melb is mid teens to twenty daytime, QLD is mid 20's to mid 30's. That 34 in bris on the weekend will be first of many over the next 8 months! It can wear you down just as the volume of people in Melb can wear you down.

However as a teacher are you being offered the sought after beachy, city locations in either. Or the hard to fill jobs in rural, drought, outback, troubled communities which exist in both States.

I was dining with a unemployed teacher in melbourne just this week he said some jobs had over 200 applicants, and had almost given up and was tutoring at night instead.

If you have some towns in mind, I am sure people can give more specific advice.

quoll Sep 21st 2017 5:12 am

Has he actually got a job? I think it might rather depend on where he can get a job because every man and his dog wants a teaching job in a nice family friendly area close to a beach. You might have to compromise on the beach because there are potentially more teaching vacancies hundreds of miles from a beach. The more rural you get the less satisfying it is for kids but kids grow up all over Australia so I guess anywhere will be family friendly.

Still Game Sep 21st 2017 5:30 am

I've just moved to Brisbane and there are a huge amount of things to do with kids. A lot free also (google South Bank Brisbane and cultural area) for a start.

Yeronga is my suggested suburb (if you can afford to buy there. Quite a few rental properties available).

However. It's hot - it's humid. I'm struggling already and it's just out of "winter". I don't do well in humidity (dry heat is ok). We're just here as OH secured a good job here before arriving.

As far as I have found, people have been very friendly and polite. We've explored a bit too.

Do I recommend it? Too early to say. I can say we've had a very positive start. The heat tho .... the heat. It's not even near summer yet.....

ozzieeagle Sep 21st 2017 5:39 am

Originally Posted by Still Game (Post 12342986)
I've just moved to Brisbane and there are a huge amount of things to do with kids. A lot free also (google South Bank Brisbane and cultural area) for a start.

Yeronga is my suggested suburb (if you can afford to buy there. Quite a few rental properties available).

However. It's hot - it's humid. I'm struggling already and it's just out of "winter". I don't do well in humidity (dry heat is ok). We're just here as OH secured a good job here before arriving.

As far as I have found, people have been very friendly and polite. We've explored a bit too.

Do I recommend it? Too early to say. I can say we've had a very positive start. The heat tho .... the heat. It's not even near summer yet.....

Hehe ;)

I reckon you and the OP haven't seen this yet. It fits Queensland as well.

August 31st

Just got transferred with work into our new home in Karratha, Western Australia, now this is a town that knows how to live!! Beautiful sunny days and warm balmy evenings.

What a place! I watched the sunset from a deck chair on the veranda. It was beautiful. I've finally found my my home. I love it here.

September 13th

Really heating up. Got to 35 today. Not a problem. Live in an air-conditioned home, drive an air-conditioned car. What a pleasure to see the sun everyday like this. I'm turning into a sun worshipper.

September 30th

ad the backyard landscaped with tropical plants today. Lots of palms and rocks. What a breeze to maintain. No more mowing lawn for me. Another scorcher today, but i love it here.

October 10th

This temperature hasn't been below 35 all week. How do people get used to this kind of heat.

At least today it's kind of windy though. But getting used to the heat is taking longer than I expected.

October 15th

Fell asleep by the pool. Got 3rd degree burns over 60% of my body. Missed 3 days of work. What a dumb thing to do. I learned my lesson though. Got to respect the ol' sun in a climate like this.

October 20th

I missed Kitty (our cat) sneaking into the car when I left this morning. By the time i got to the hot car for lunch, Kitty had died and swollen up to the size of a shopping bag and stank up the $3,000 leather upholstery. I told the kids that she ran way. The car now smells like Wiskettes and cat sh1t. I learned my lesson though. No more pets in this heat.

October 25th

The wind sucks. It feels like a giant fxxking blow dryer!! And its hot as hell. The home air-conditioner is on the blink and the AC repairman charged $200 just to drive over and tell me he needed to order parts.

October 30th

Been sleeping outside by the pool for 3 nights now. Bloody $600,000 house and we can't even go inside.

Why did I ever come here

November 4th

Its 38 degrees. Finally got the ol' air-conditioner fixe today. It cost $1,500 and gets the temp down to 25, but the bloody humidity makes the house feel like its about 30. Stupid repairman.

I hate this stupid fxxkin place.

November 8th

If another wise arse cracks, "hot enough for you today" I'm going to fxxkin throttle him. Fxxkin heat!

By the time I get to work, the car's radiator was boiling over, my clothes are soaking fukin wet, and I smell like baked cat!!

November 9th

Tried to run some messages agyer work. Worse shorts, and sat on the black leather seats in the ol' car.

I though my fxxkin arse was on fire. I lost to layers of flesh and all the hair on the back of my legs and my fxxkin arse. Now my car smells like burnt hair, fried ass and baked cat.

November 10th

The weather report might aswell be a fxxkin recording. Hot and sunny. Hot and sunny. Hot and fukin sunny.

It's been too hot to do anything for 2 damn months and the weatherman says it might really warm up next week. Doesn't it ever rain in this damn fukin place? Water rationing will be next, so my $5,000 worth of palms just might dry up and bow into the fukin pool. Even the palms can't live in this fxxkin heat.

November 14th

Welcome to HELL!!!! Temperature got to 41 today. Now the air-conditioner's gone in my car.

The repairman came to fix i and said "hot enough for you today?"

My wife had to spend the $2,500 mortgage payment to bail my ass out of fail for assaulting the stupid fxxker. Fxxk Karratha! What kind of sick demented fukin idiot would want to live here?

December 1st

WHAT????? This is the first day of Summer??? You are fxxkin kiddin!!!

Beoz Sep 21st 2017 6:42 am

However. It's hot - it's humid. I'm struggling already and it's just out of "winter". I don't do well in humidity (dry heat is ok).

That is hilarious. I am sure we warned you.

Anyhow, Brisbane has some of the most beautiful beaches in the world right next to the city for an evening dip after work. Enjoy.

carcajou Sep 21st 2017 9:48 am

Originally Posted by jad n rich (Post 12342973)
I have lived in both, live mostly in Victoria, still have business in QLD and live overseas for about 4 months a year.

QLD and VIC are very different states, with huge areas of difference in each one.

But to summarize, QLD is far less populated and competitive. Jobs, houses, commuting in VIC usually involves a stampede of people for anything.

Housing in QLD will be half the price, incomes similar.

But you MUST like serious heat to consider QLD. Spring currently, melb is mid teens to twenty daytime, QLD is mid 20's to mid 30's. That 34 in bris on the weekend will be first of many over the next 8 months! It can wear you down just as the volume of people in Melb can wear you down.

However as a teacher are you being offered the sought after beachy, city locations in either. Or the hard to fill jobs in rural, drought, outback, troubled communities which exist in both States.

I was dining with a unemployed teacher in melbourne just this week he said some jobs had over 200 applicants, and had almost given up and was tutoring at night instead.

If you have some towns in mind, I am sure people can give more specific advice.

Only 200 applicants? I know of a teaching job recently that attracted over 1,000 applications.

Does your primary husband teacher have previous Australian work contacts or previous Australian work experience? If so, disregard below. If you are coming in with no significant Australian professional network or experience, keep reading:

Secondary employment outlook is far better than it is for primary, which is oversubscribed just about everywhere.

The chances for someone coming from overseas, to walk into a primary job in a family-oriented beach community near Brisbane are nil.

The way to do it here, is to get on the relief lists, and if you are any good, when something pops open you will be given consideration.

Or, head to an inland country town (but not an Outback one) and try there. I say, not an Outback one because in a tiny Outback community there won't be housing available to rent, or it will be astronomically expensive (as a casual you won't be eligible for government housing subsidies that teachers get).

Historically what happens for teachers is that when you are new, you start in Outback or hardship postings, and then transfer increasingly closer to the city. So your husband as a primary teacher will not just be competing with all the teachers floating around that particular Brisbane suburb but everyone country in Queensland who wants to transfer into the city, as well as hundreds of graduates being pumped out into the job market.

However, some private schools are still recruiting in Melbourne, but not like they were a few years ago, and they are aiming at graduates - all of which should make you wary.

All of which is a long-winded way to say Queensland, because your employment odds are probably greater there. But really you need to do a recce to visit both some towns in interior Queensland and perhaps the mid-north coast, as well as northern interior Victoria, visit schools in person and gauge what the market is like there.

I don't mean this to be negative or to be a bucket of ice water, but it is reality, and the sooner you realise that the better. If family-oriented beach community in or around Melbourne or Brisbane is non-negotiable - hope for the best but make Plan B for the probability that primary teaching there won't happen in the near future. If you're willing to go country interior more things may be possible.

verystormy Sep 21st 2017 9:50 am

The heat was the main thing I disliked in Oz. When I moved back last year the first morning was one of those fantastic early spring days. Blue sky, frost and -3. I was in heaven.

ozzieeagle Sep 21st 2017 11:12 am

The other thing that needs to be pointed out IMO, is Australian Cities overall barely suffer from that inner urban stigma and social problems that exist in the UK. Whereas conversely, many Australian country towns have quite entrenched issues, as extreme as inner urban UK.

Not all mind you, but you have to do your homework. EG: Benalla Victoria, probably as bad as anywhere in the UK.... Whereas Warrnambool, Echuca relatively free of issues.

carcajou Sep 21st 2017 11:31 am

Originally Posted by ozzieeagle (Post 12343153)
The other thing that needs to be pointed out IMO, is Australian Cities overall barely suffer from that inner urban stigma and social problems that exist in the UK. Whereas conversely, many Australian country towns have quite entrenched issues, as extreme as inner urban UK.

Not all mind you, but you have to do your homework. EG: Benalla Victoria, probably as bad as anywhere in the UK.... Whereas Warrnambool, Echuca relatively free of issues.

This is spot on. Drug and crime issues can be rife in country towns, often to a greater extent than in the cities.

OP's husband will not be getting a primary teaching job in Warnnambool. The nicer country towns, are even finder to hard teaching work in than the cities, because there are limited jobs available and everyone who wants to transfer from the Outback or interior but doesn't want to go to the city, tries to go there.

Beoz Sep 21st 2017 11:35 am

Originally Posted by verystormy (Post 12343103)
The heat was the main thing I disliked in Oz. When I moved back last year the first morning was one of those fantastic early spring days. Blue sky, frost and -3. I was in heaven.

Oz is not Perth.

Still Game Sep 22nd 2017 1:01 am

Originally Posted by ozzieeagle (Post 12342988)
Hehe ;)

August 31st

Just got transferred with work into our new home in Karratha, Western Australia, now this is a town that knows how to live!! Beautiful sunny days and warm balmy evenings.

What a place! I watched the sunset from a deck chair on the veranda. It was beautiful. I've finally found my my home. I love it here.

September 13th

Really heating up. Got to 35 today. Not a problem. Live in an air-conditioned home, drive an air-conditioned car. What a pleasure to see the sun everyday like this. I'm turning into a sun worshipper.

September 30th

ad the backyard landscaped with tropical plants today. Lots of palms and rocks. What a breeze to maintain. No more mowing lawn for me. Another scorcher today, but i love it here.

October 10th

This temperature hasn't been below 35 all week. How do people get used to this kind of heat.

At least today it's kind of windy though. But getting used to the heat is taking longer than I expected.

October 15th

Fell asleep by the pool. Got 3rd degree burns over 60% of my body. Missed 3 days of work. What a dumb thing to do. I learned my lesson though. Got to respect the ol' sun in a climate like this.

October 20th

I missed Kitty (our cat) sneaking into the car when I left this morning. By the time i got to the hot car for lunch, Kitty had died and swollen up to the size of a shopping bag and stank up the $3,000 leather upholstery. I told the kids that she ran way. The car now smells like Wiskettes and cat sh1t. I learned my lesson though. No more pets in this heat.

October 25th

The wind sucks. It feels like a giant fxxking blow dryer!! And its hot as hell. The home air-conditioner is on the blink and the AC repairman charged $200 just to drive over and tell me he needed to order parts.

October 30th

Been sleeping outside by the pool for 3 nights now. Bloody $600,000 house and we can't even go inside.

Why did I ever come here

November 4th

Its 38 degrees. Finally got the ol' air-conditioner fixe today. It cost $1,500 and gets the temp down to 25, but the bloody humidity makes the house feel like its about 30. Stupid repairman.

November 8th

If another wise arse cracks, "hot enough for you today" I'm going to fxxkin throttle him. Fxxkin heat!

By the time I get to work, the car's radiator was boiling over, my clothes are soaking fukin wet, and I smell like baked cat!!

November 9th

Tried to run some messages agyer work. Worse shorts, and sat on the black leather seats in the ol' car.

I though my fxxkin arse was on fire. I lost to layers of flesh and all the hair on the back of my legs and my fxxkin arse. Now my car smells like burnt hair, fried ass and baked cat.

November 10th

The weather report might aswell be a fxxkin recording. Hot and sunny. Hot and sunny. Hot and fukin sunny.

It's been too hot to do anything for 2 damn months and the weatherman says it might really warm up next week. Doesn't it ever rain in this damn fukin place? Water rationing will be next, so my $5,000 worth of palms just might dry up and bow into the fukin pool. Even the palms can't live in this fxxkin heat.

November 14th

Welcome to HELL!!!! Temperature got to 41 today. Now the air-conditioner's gone in my car.

My wife had to spend the $2,500 mortgage payment to bail my ass out of fail for assaulting the stupid fxxker. Fxxk Karratha! What kind of sick demented fukin idiot would want to live here?

December 1st

HA yes had seen this before ....good ol Pilbara! Very fitting!

Buzzy--Bee Sep 28th 2017 10:13 am

Originally Posted by Beoz (Post 12343002)

Anyhow, Brisbane has some of the most beautiful beaches in the world right next to the city for an evening dip after work. Enjoy.

:lol: :lol: :lol: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

carcajou Sep 28th 2017 10:58 am

Originally Posted by Still Game (Post 12343727)
HA yes had seen this before ....good ol Pilbara! Very fitting!

I am up that way now (just passing through). Took a stroll through Port Hedland a few nights ago. Not my favourite place in Australia.

Pollyana Sep 28th 2017 12:24 pm

Originally Posted by Buzzy--Bee (Post 12348750)

Someone had to say it and you beat me to it! :lol:

Stuck in Auckland Dec 15th 2017 10:40 pm

Originally Posted by Buzzy--Bee (Post 12348750)

I thought Brisbane was just a river filled with bull sharks

You then have to travel half a day north (Sunshine coast) or half a day south to Gold Coast.

North trip due to traffic
South due to traffic and those death trap rides bugger wetnwild should be slicendice

sr71 Dec 16th 2017 12:09 am

Originally Posted by Beoz (Post 12343002)

Does it? I thought that was a criticism of Brisbane that it was built in a crap location and far from the beaches

Pollyana Dec 16th 2017 12:48 am

Originally Posted by sr71 (Post 12400530)
Does it? I thought that was a criticism of Brisbane that it was built in a crap location and far from the beaches

the only 'beach' that could be described as 'right next to the city' is that piece of manmade concrete and sand at Southbank. And there is no way on anyone's earth that could be described as one of the 'most beautiful beaches in the world' :blink::eek:

ozzieeagle Dec 16th 2017 4:04 am

This is probably the best part of Central Brisbane. Well from the wifes and myself point of view.

Didn't really take to Southbank up there, same as Southbank in Melbourne, to shiny and plastic.

http://www.visitbrisbane.com.au/~/me...0829_wide.ashx

The Grand Arbour is worth a look, other than that it seems Brisbane has sold it's soul to me. Melbourne is in danger of doing the same to a lesser extent. As long as they keep the laneways and old buildings Melbourne should be able to keep it's head half held high.

Clacfart Dec 16th 2017 10:30 am

Originally Posted by ozzieeagle (Post 12342988)
Hehe ;)

August 31st

September 13th

September 30th

October 10th

October 15th

October 20th

October 25th

October 30th

Why did I ever come here

November 4th

November 8th

November 9th

November 10th

November 14th

December 1st

This really tickled me :lol:

Stuck in Auckland Dec 18th 2017 4:27 am

Originally Posted by joannesmith90 (Post 12401353)
Both, Victoria or Queensland has it's own beauty :)

there was a thread post comparing melbourne with sydney in terms of sisters.

Brisbane is the fiery red head cousin.

sr71 Dec 18th 2017 7:10 am

Originally Posted by Stuck in Auckland (Post 12401356)
there was a thread post comparing melbourne with sydney in terms of sisters.

Brisbane is the fiery red head cousin.

Or retarded ginger stepchild

Pollyana Dec 18th 2017 7:47 am

Originally Posted by sr71 (Post 12401401)
Or retarded ginger stepchild

:lol::thumbup:

astera Dec 20th 2017 6:28 pm

South Bank is absolutely fantastic for kids and grown-ups alike. One of my favourite places - or probably my very favourite place even - out of all downtown areas in any major Australian city.

Back to the original question, this thread's title should be changed to "Tundra or the Tropics." :)

QLD all the way, I wouldn't even blink if the other choice was cold, crime-ridden Melbourne. Plus if your husband's job is in education you could even strike gold and end up in the Gold Coast.

On a side note, when people in VIC retire, they often sell everything they've got and rush up to QLD (a complete no-brainer why!). When people from QLD end up in VIC for a longer spell it's probably because they...um...arghm... get incarcerated there. ;)

joeyballantyne Jan 22nd 2018 11:12 pm

Originally Posted by Stuck in Auckland (Post 12400509)
I thought Brisbane was just a river filled with bull sharks

You then have to travel half a day north (Sunshine coast) or half a day south to Gold Coast.

North trip due to traffic
South due to traffic and those death trap rides bugger wetnwild should be slicendice

Half a day????? two days by horse? :p It only takes about 75-80 minutes on a good run to get from Bris Airport to Caloundra, and a bit less from Bris Airport to Surfers on the Gold Coast - just wanted to clear that up for the OP :thumbsup:

Pollyana Jan 23rd 2018 3:33 am

Originally Posted by joeyballantyne (Post 12425011)
Half a day????? two days by horse? :p It only takes about 75-80 minutes on a good run to get from Bris Airport to Caloundra, and a bit less from Bris Airport to Surfers on the Gold Coast - just wanted to clear that up for the OP :thumbsup:

Though to be fair, it can take half a day coming back at weekends, public holidays etc!:lol:

moneypenny20 Jan 23rd 2018 3:46 am

Originally Posted by joeyballantyne (Post 12425011)

Horses on the roller coasters are a visual I can't quite get my head around. :lol: I can't even work out why the roller coasters slow down the journey on the M1 tbh.