Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Victoria Point QLD

Victoria Point QLD

Old Feb 6th 2004, 1:50 am
ABCDiamond

Default Victoria Point QLD

Originally posted by MrsDagboy
Vic point itself would be yonks, probably more than 5 or 6 years. We go down to Wellington Point on & off, but usually to the shops or something, not so much the beach, Cleveland is more regular, we sometimes go down to the markets & go for dinner at Dicey Rileys etc.

Real estate & suburb threads - Im in
Following on from this, Victoria Point has really changed over the last few years. 4 years ago, it had one main shopping area comprising a Franklins store, and a handfull of other shops.

Today it has: 2 Woolworths, a Bi-lo, Best & Less, a Post Office, 2 bottle shops and about another 60 odd speciallity stores. It has two video shops, Blockbusters and Video Eazy. Two main banks are now here, (Suncorp & Bank of QLD) with a third one(Westpac) as an agency operating out of one of the newsagents.

We have a Macdonalds, a Hungry Jacks and a Red Rooster (under Construction) A Chinese Restaurant, a Thai Restaurant.

Kmart is under construction with another 25 speciality shops, due to open late 2004.

Aldi, ( The German Supermarket) and another 20 odd shops are planned to begin construction towards the end of 2004. I even heard a rumour about a cinema complex.

Down by the beach, Thomsons beach, we have another little shopping centre, Post office, newsagents, chinese restaurant etc.

At the point itself, where the boat ramps are, we have three restaurants I think. And of course the ferry to Coochiemudlo island with its beaches.

And still the property prices are not too bad

And about an hour to Brisbane City, and just a bit more to Surfers Paradise. Depending on traffic of course.

Old Feb 6th 2004, 2:31 am
Rocket Scientist

Location: Dreamland AKA Brisbane which is a different country to the UK
MrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond repute

Sounds good ABC, the only thing that puts us off is the commute, 2 hrs a day, he currently has about 1hr. But then if he gave up his job, he wouldnt have to worry about it (cos I know he will read this LOL).

How much is there down there in the way of large blocks? We currently have 3 acres, but I think anything from about 2000sqm would probably do us. I know Eddie would like about an acre but Im sure he would consider less.

Also didnt you say that your daughter went to Vic Point school & had alot of trouble? Thats another thing we like about here, weve found a good school, a bit loathe to leave it!

I would like CoochieMudlo, but Im sure that prices there are unrealistic .
Old Feb 6th 2004, 2:36 am
Rocket Scientist

MrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond repute

ooooooh thats something else! Just down the road from us the other day I saw a sign saying that there was a new shopping mall going in! They have started construction, Woolworths & 20 sepcialty shops or something & there are all these prefab walls going up, its supposed to be finished by the middle of this year. Obviously to support the huge number of new housing estates going up around here, the area needs more infrastructure.

Well of course, I saw the sign last week, but its no longer there now anyway, got blown completely away in that storm on Friday LOL.
Old Feb 6th 2004, 5:33 am
ABCDiamond

How much is there down there in the way of large blocks? We currently have 3 acres, but I think anything from about 2000sqm would probably do us. I know Eddie would like about an acre but Im sure he would consider less.

Also didnt you say that your daughter went to Vic Point school & had alot of trouble? Thats another thing we like about here, weve found a good school, a bit loathe to leave it!

I would like CoochieMudlo, but Im sure that prices there are unrealistic .
There was a 2000sqm block available recently, not sure what it went for though. Decent houses on half acre blocks (2,000sqm) are about $650,000. Some start at $560,000.

I found out later that the problem with the school appears to have been her particular teacher. If I had known better at the time, I might have tried getting her changed into a different class, but I saw red at the time, and changed schools instead. She now goes to Sheldon which is only 8 minutes each way.

Talking about Coochie, I was offered an 800sqm block in 1986 for $5,000. Vacant land is now $189,000 for 521sq on Coochie I wish I had bought it at the time

Old Feb 6th 2004, 6:43 am
Rocket Scientist

Originally posted by ABCDiamond
There was a 2000sqm block available recently, not sure what it went for though. Decent houses on half acre blocks (2,000sqm) are about $650,000. Some start at $560,000.

I found out later that the problem with the school appears to have been her particular teacher. If I had known better at the time, I might have tried getting her changed into a different class, but I saw red at the time, and changed schools instead. She now goes to Sheldon which is only 8 minutes each way.

Talking about Coochie, I was offered an 800sqm block in 1986 for $5,000. Vacant land is now $189,000 for 521sq on Coochie I wish I had bought it at the time
ok, bloody hell for that sort of price ($550-650K) I can buy in this area LOL.

Know what you mean about the prices, when I was a kid we had a block of land 1 street from the beach at Sunshine Beach (nr Noosa). Back then (late 70s) you couldnt give blocks of land up there away, we bought it for next to nothing (I think it was $2000) & had it for about 3 years. Dad ended up selling it- he wanted council approval to build a 2 storey house on the block & the council gave him a hard time (or what he saw as a hard time anyway haha) & he spat the dummy, had a hissy fit & ended up selling it, luckily at a profit. Imagine what it would be worth today? :scared:

Coochie seems alot more expensive than the other islands, its got a much nicer beach & is obviously alot closer to the mainland etc so it no doubt has better services I guess. I havent been there for years.
Old Feb 20th 2004, 10:12 pm
ABCDiamond

Default Update on Vic Point

ALDI the german supermarket is scheduled to open in Sept 2004, that will bring all the other local supermarkets down in price.

And a 6 screen Cinema complex is confirmed for 2005, both going into the NEW Lakeside shopping centre. I've never noticed a lake before Maybe they are going to biuld one

Old Mar 4th 2004, 3:32 am
Rocket Scientist

ABC, what sort of money would you get per week for a rental, reasonably close to the water/beach, lowset 3 bed brick & tile?
Old Mar 4th 2004, 4:24 am

bondipom is an unknown quantity at this point

The food options sound great for the dieters.

ABC you sound like you may have another property for sale/rent.
Old Mar 4th 2004, 4:38 am
ABCDiamond

ABC, what sort of money would you get per week for a rental, reasonably close to the water/beach, lowset 3 bed brick & tile?
A basic 3 bed gets $240pw in Sycamore Parade. 2 kilometres from Thompsons Beach. House value $280k Double car port.

Old Mar 4th 2004, 4:40 am
ABCDiamond

Originally posted by bondipom

ABC you sound like you may have another property for sale/rent.
I'll sell at the right price but not till after June !!

Old Mar 4th 2004, 6:33 am
Rocket Scientist

Originally posted by ABCDiamond
A basic 3 bed gets $240pw in Sycamore Parade. 2 kilometres from Thompsons Beach. House value $280k Double car port.
Have found one for sale in Point Halloran Rd, near the Egret Colony Wetland.

http://www.heathrealestate.com.au/in...&propertyid=89
Old Apr 13th 2004, 5:13 am
ABCDiamond

Just an update on Travelling times.

I was talking to someone that lives here in Victoria Point, and works in Brisbane. They start work at 8am, and leave home at 7.15am to drive to work.

They actually work at Cannon Hill, but class that as Brisbane, and say that it would be only another 10 minutes to get to the CBD.

I thought I would mention this, as I have previously been unable to answer that question in other threads.

Hope it helps anyone considering moving to the Bayside area here.

Old Apr 13th 2004, 1:22 pm
Forum Regular

stefian is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi ABCDiamond

my husband has got a job in Acacia ridge, we were looking at moving to Rochedale, but on my map spotted vicky point have you any idea how long it would take for my hubby to get to his work? Any views on Rochedale or sunny bank

thanx

Steph
Old Apr 13th 2004, 2:52 pm
Forum Regular

karen p is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by stefian
Hi ABCDiamond

my husband has got a job in Acacia ridge, we were looking at moving to Rochedale, but on my map spotted vicky point have you any idea how long it would take for my hubby to get to his work? Any views on Rochedale or sunny bank

thanx

Steph
I found this site useful for finding distances/times
between different places. It also gives detailed
directions from one place to the other.

http://www.airportrentacar.com.au/br...ssmarttrip.htm

I hope it helps. Karen
Old Apr 13th 2004, 9:29 pm
Forum Regular

Andrea_amp_Rich is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi,
we are hoping to move to Victoria Point this year depending on our medicals (which hopefully will not be much longer). We have never been to Australia and our main research has been over the internet. My husband has been classified as a Welder (1st Class) BM by the TRA but as I am aware there seems to be plenty work around Brisbane?.

We would be so greatful for any info anyone can give us about Victoria Point including particular streets etc, near the beach. Also our daughter who is 10 has learning difficultues (reading, writing) could anyone recomend a school which is good with special needs.

Thanks so much !
Andrea

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.