Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Victoria Happiest State

Victoria Happiest State

Old Feb 12th 2006, 10:55 pm
BE Forum Addict

NickyP has a reputation beyond reputeNickyP has a reputation beyond reputeNickyP has a reputation beyond reputeNickyP has a reputation beyond reputeNickyP has a reputation beyond reputeNickyP has a reputation beyond reputeNickyP has a reputation beyond reputeNickyP has a reputation beyond reputeNickyP has a reputation beyond reputeNickyP has a reputation beyond reputeNickyP has a reputation beyond repute
Default Victoria Happiest State

To those of you looking at where to settle you might find these articles interesting. Obviously it is all down to personal choice and what you want out of life but money isn't everything

http://www.news.com.au/story/0,10117...-28217,00.html

Also:

Nicky
Old Feb 12th 2006, 11:03 pm

Centurion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Victoria Happiest State

Originally Posted by NickyP
To those of you looking at where to settle you might find these articles interesting. Obviously it is all down to personal choice and what you want out of life but money isn't everything

Also:

Nicky
I think the stats in that article are very interesting.

Kinda puts the final touch on the Brisbane or Perth debate
Old Feb 12th 2006, 11:16 pm
ABCDiamond

Originally Posted by Centurion
I think the stats in that article are very interesting.

Kinda puts the final touch on the Brisbane or Perth debate
But...

But West Australian Premier Alan Carpenter rejected the report's findings, describing the state's residents as "the happiest people in the world".

And he should know.......... he's a ..... Politician ...

Old Feb 12th 2006, 11:17 pm
(It's not my real name)

renth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond repute

OK, I failed "O" Level statistics but this quote from the report:

"On a ranking in order of wellbeing, Victoria tops the list at 75.7 per cent, Queensland is the same on 75.7 per cent but is pipped on other factors, South Australia is next on 75.6 per cent, the ACT 75.3 per cent, Tasmania 75.2 per cent, the Northern Territory 75.2 per cent, NSW 74.6 per cent and Western Australia 74.4 per cent."

and

"It's clear Victoria is out in front and that Western Australia is well behind," Professor Cummins told The Australian."

The difference in percentage between WA and VIC is 1.1% - it what way is WA "well behind" - I don't get it?
Old Feb 12th 2006, 11:21 pm
ABCDiamond

Originally Posted by renth
OK, I failed "O" Level statistics but this quote from the report:

"On a ranking in order of wellbeing, Victoria tops the list at 75.7 per cent, Queensland is the same on 75.7 per cent but is pipped on other factors, South Australia is next on 75.6 per cent, the ACT 75.3 per cent, Tasmania 75.2 per cent, the Northern Territory 75.2 per cent, NSW 74.6 per cent and Western Australia 74.4 per cent."

and

"It's clear Victoria is out in front and that Western Australia is well behind," Professor Cummins told The Australian."

The difference in percentage between WA and VIC is 1.1% - it what way is WA "well behind" - I don't get it?
Don't panic, I passed "O" Level statistics, and I don't see much difference either

It is interesting to see all the States just about the same though, give or take that massive 1.1% difference

Old Feb 13th 2006, 12:20 am
Forum Regular

dshole will become famous soon enoughdshole will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by ABCDiamond
But...

But West Australian Premier Alan Carpenter rejected the report's findings, describing the state's residents as "the happiest people in the world".

I would love to see WA get it's Independence granted, they have been after it for years and the movement won the referendum years ago.
Old Feb 13th 2006, 1:07 am

ShozInOz is an unknown quantity at this point

You can see how your (NSW) suburb 'rates' here:
http://smh.com.au/news/national/how-...679473349.html

But those state stats have me flumoxed too - and I work with stats every day. But mean averages can hide some anomalies.

One think I can see with the SMH version of the report (http://smh.com.au/news/national/welc...679480760.html) is that the smaller regional communities rate as more satisfied than the metropolitan areas, e.g. Sydney and Perth. Certainly in Sydney, I think the lack of disposable income and feeling hemmed in by the city have something to do with it. But also, as I recall the infamous 'Mike Stanton' saying once something like "The trouble is with these quality of life indices is that they don't seem to measure how boring a place is." I just can't quite see myself living in some of these remote communities at my time of life - but maybe for retirement.
Old Feb 13th 2006, 1:09 am

ShozInOz is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by ABCDiamond
But...

Yes what a f___wit. But I'm sure if Perth did come out top he'd be fully accepting the findings...