Reload this Page >

Victoria Anyone ????????

Victoria Anyone ????????

Old Nov 8th 2005, 3:57 am
Forum Regular

caz41 will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Victoria Anyone ????????

Originally Posted by Bordy
You coming to the meet on Saturday Caz??
Yep, hoping to get to this one, looks like it is going to be a lovely day as well, fingers crossed.

Carolyn
Old Nov 8th 2005, 4:21 am
The Godfather

Bordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by caz41
Yep, hoping to get to this one, looks like it is going to be a lovely day as well, fingers crossed.

Carolyn
Yeah, remember the sunscreen & drinks for little uns.
Old Nov 8th 2005, 8:03 am
Just Joined

Geezer is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Emmaline
Is there anyone going to Victoria or emigrated to Victoria. We will be emigrating to Victoria but not sure what area yet. We have family in the Frankston area and we are using that as a starting point.
My husband is a car painter by trade and we need to find him a job over there eventually. What would be the best way to find a job do you wait untill you get over there or can you look for vacancies over here. It would be great to hear from anyone else going to or have moved to Melbourne or Victoria.

Hi Emmaline.

My family and i moved over here (Melbourne) a couple of years ago and like your husband i am also a Car Paint Sprayer by trade. Before i arrived i sent out a fair few emails explaining the position i was in and my expected arrival date to various body shops without much success, so i came over here with out any certain work, however i was fairly surprised how much work was out there and had no problems finding employment whatsoever, had many offers within the first few weeks after arriving and even looking at the positions available at the moment there are still plenty out there.

I wouldn't worry too much about finding employment here, like i said there's plenty out there and if u find the right place the wages can be just as good as the UK.

If there's anything i can help you with just send me a mail.

Cya
Old Nov 9th 2005, 8:59 pm
Kanga1

Emmaline is just really niceEmmaline is just really niceEmmaline is just really niceEmmaline is just really niceEmmaline is just really niceEmmaline is just really niceEmmaline is just really niceEmmaline is just really nice

Hi Geezer

Thank you for your email, at last my husband has found someone else in the motor trade everyone else seems to be builders or in IT, he has been a bit worried he has only used MS paint (ICI) and no water base experience . what is mainly used over there ;so he was hoping to get a preping job to get started. Also are the workshops air conditioned?
Where abouts in Victoria do you live we dont know where to start and also we want a good school for our 4yr old daughter.

Originally Posted by Geezer
Hi Emmaline.

My family and i moved over here (Melbourne) a couple of years ago and like your husband i am also a Car Paint Sprayer by trade. Before i arrived i sent out a fair few emails explaining the position i was in and my expected arrival date to various body shops without much success, so i came over here with out any certain work, however i was fairly surprised how much work was out there and had no problems finding employment whatsoever, had many offers within the first few weeks after arriving and even looking at the positions available at the moment there are still plenty out there.

I wouldn't worry too much about finding employment here, like i said there's plenty out there and if u find the right place the wages can be just as good as the UK.

If there's anything i can help you with just send me a mail.

Cya
Old Nov 9th 2005, 9:56 pm
Forum Regular

jimarg has a brilliant futurejimarg has a brilliant futurejimarg has a brilliant futurejimarg has a brilliant futurejimarg has a brilliant futurejimarg has a brilliant future

Is there anyone going to Victoria or emigrated to Victoria. We will be emigrating to Victoria but not sure what area yet. We have family in the Frankston area and we are using that as a starting point.
My husband is a car painter by trade and we need to find him a job over there eventually. What would be the best way to find a job do you wait untill you get over there or can you look for vacancies over here. It would be great to hear from anyone else going to or have moved to Melbourne or Victoria.
Hi

We are waiting on visa (139 sponsored) to emigrate to Melbourne to my 2 sisters 1 stays in Mooroolbark and the other in Croydon Hills, my hubby is a joiner. We are waiting until we there to look for jobs after kids are settled into school.
Old Nov 9th 2005, 10:12 pm
Just Joined

arewethereyet has a spectacular aura aboutarewethereyet has a spectacular aura aboutarewethereyet has a spectacular aura about
Thumbs up Re: Victoria Anyone ????????

Hi
We are waiting for our STNI for Victoria, should be there early next year. Never been before but from reading up and talking to people we believe that Melbourne is the place to be...
No fixed ideas about where we will settle as it will depend on work, don`t want to be stuck in traffic for hours, can stay in the UK for that.
After talking to some recruitment type people a number of them have said "why do you want to go to Melbourne, its much better in Perth/Sydney/Brisbane/etc" but we take it with a pinch of salt, maybe they have never been there...
Roll on Spring 2006

Don
Old Nov 10th 2005, 2:51 am
The Godfather

Bordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to behold

Melbourne is definitely "the place to be." Don't forget to look at Britvics site for more specific info on Melbourne.

http://s7.invisionfree.com/BritVics/index.php?
Old Nov 11th 2005, 8:29 am
Just Joined

Hi Geezer

Thank you for your email, at last my husband has found someone else in the motor trade everyone else seems to be builders or in IT, he has been a bit worried he has only used MS paint (ICI) and no water base experience . what is mainly used over there ;so he was hoping to get a preping job to get started. Also are the workshops air conditioned?
Where abouts in Victoria do you live we dont know where to start and also we want a good school for our 4yr old daughter.

Hi again Emmaline

Your hubby has no worries about having no experiance with water based paint.

It was introduced a few years ago put it never really caught on, mainly down to the cost and the fact that all the top coats were still solvent based made people in the industry think twice, so yeah, more or less all the shops i know of are still using 2 pack.

I have seen a fair few jobs asking for a painter's assistant or prepper but they dont pay as well as a fully qualified painter, anyhow your hubby will best jumping into the deep end and doing what he knows best, things aint' really that differant over here than they are back in the UK as far as prepping and painting goes, they use all the same materials and paints....spies hecker, du pont, standox, glasurit ( what i'm using at the mo) and ICI or dulux as they call it over here.

As for air conditiong, maybe i guess but not in the shop im working in, had some hot and sweaty days already and it only spring!

We have just moved to Chelsea, we were previously living in Aspendale right on the beach but with two kids and two dogs it wasn't quite big enough and moved round the corner to a bigger place with a huge garden

To be honest, we're still unsure about the schools, we're not quite convinved that they're as good as ones in the UK, not going to get into that one just yet though. By the way my wife tells me school starts when the kids are five years old.
Old Nov 14th 2005, 8:22 pm
Kanga1

Emmaline is just really niceEmmaline is just really niceEmmaline is just really niceEmmaline is just really niceEmmaline is just really niceEmmaline is just really niceEmmaline is just really niceEmmaline is just really nice

Hi Geezer
Thanks for your reply Hubby was really surprised that they are still using solvent, I think he would be quite happy preping first of all until he finds his feet, the garage he works for is very old fashioned he still wet flats every repair etc buy he has always worked that way and just a bit worried about change . we was looking at moving to seaford ,mornington area as we have family in hastings and carrum downs but not really sure yet , hubby went 10 years a go ive never been so its going to be an experince, we have a 4 year old daughter how old are your 2. Speak to you again soon

Originally Posted by Geezer
Hi again Emmaline

Your hubby has no worries about having no experiance with water based paint.

It was introduced a few years ago put it never really caught on, mainly down to the cost and the fact that all the top coats were still solvent based made people in the industry think twice, so yeah, more or less all the shops i know of are still using 2 pack.

I have seen a fair few jobs asking for a painter's assistant or prepper but they dont pay as well as a fully qualified painter, anyhow your hubby will best jumping into the deep end and doing what he knows best, things aint' really that differant over here than they are back in the UK as far as prepping and painting goes, they use all the same materials and paints....spies hecker, du pont, standox, glasurit ( what i'm using at the mo) and ICI or dulux as they call it over here.

As for air conditiong, maybe i guess but not in the shop im working in, had some hot and sweaty days already and it only spring!

We have just moved to Chelsea, we were previously living in Aspendale right on the beach but with two kids and two dogs it wasn't quite big enough and moved round the corner to a bigger place with a huge garden

To be honest, we're still unsure about the schools, we're not quite convinved that they're as good as ones in the UK, not going to get into that one just yet though. By the way my wife tells me school starts when the kids are five years old.
Old Nov 19th 2005, 11:42 pm
Just Joined

tipps is an unknown quantity at this point
Thumbs up Re: Victoria Anyone ????????

Emmaline, I would suggest you wait until you get here, take some time out and then grab the local newspapers. Most local papers are free, and they have the local vacancies in the rear sections. If you Husband is a spray painter, then there are many jobs advertised weekly for them. I have been here since 1967, never had problems with jobs. As for Frankston, it's a beach suburb, very nice, nice shopping area. It's about an hours drive from Melbourne. I think you will like it. Dandenong is near Frankston, about half an hours drive. It has the GMH factory there, but I stil think your Husband will do better to get you all out here, have a bit of a break, and then read the local papers.

Good luck and cheers.
Old Nov 20th 2005, 7:19 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

BadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by gogdownunder
I don't live in Franger but I have inlaws that do. It has a lot going for it, it is undervalued because of loutish behaviour in some of the northern parts, which has been going on for years. But if you pick your area wisely you will be ok.

As for work, much of Melbourne's auto industry is located in nearby Dandenong
Parts of Frankston are not very nice, however drive south-southeast for only 10 minutes from the centre and you get to some very nice suburbs indeed, if memory serves. I live in Brissy but come from Melbourne originally. Like many places, there are good and bad.
Old Nov 20th 2005, 7:40 am
Just Joined

Hi Geezer
Thanks for your reply Hubby was really surprised that they are still using solvent, I think he would be quite happy preping first of all until he finds his feet, the garage he works for is very old fashioned he still wet flats every repair etc buy he has always worked that way and just a bit worried about change . we was looking at moving to seaford ,mornington area as we have family in hastings and carrum downs but not really sure yet , hubby went 10 years a go ive never been so its going to be an experince, we have a 4 year old daughter how old are your 2. Speak to you again soon

Sent you a PM
Old Nov 20th 2005, 8:51 am
Forum Regular

Handyandy180 is an unknown quantity at this point

Been in Frankston since August
In a rental unit 10 mins walk from the beach (Denbigh St).
Actually packing as we speak and relocating to Frankston South (just off Golf Links rd) So now its a ten min jaunt in the car to the beach.
We arrived with just our suitcases having sold or given away all our possessions before leaving the UK. We seemed to spend the first six weeks shopping Arghhh!!!!
I have now found work in Moorabbin and it is a 40 min drive away so no great hassle. My partner Andrea Is still looking for work but we would prefer her to work local so less opportunities I'm afraid. Ah well something will turn up soon.
We are loving it at the moment and cant wait to move into our new home next week....
Regards Chris and Andrea
Old Nov 20th 2005, 9:54 am
Forum Regular

grainne is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Handyandy180
Been in Frankston since August
In a rental unit 10 mins walk from the beach (Denbigh St).
Actually packing as we speak and relocating to Frankston South (just off Golf Links rd) So now its a ten min jaunt in the car to the beach.
We arrived with just our suitcases having sold or given away all our possessions before leaving the UK. We seemed to spend the first six weeks shopping Arghhh!!!!
I have now found work in Moorabbin and it is a 40 min drive away so no great hassle. My partner Andrea Is still looking for work but we would prefer her to work local so less opportunities I'm afraid. Ah well something will turn up soon.
We are loving it at the moment and cant wait to move into our new home next week....
Regards Chris and Andrea
living in frankston coming up to a year and we are loving it.kids go to frankston high(15yrs and 16yrs)and they love it, very good school.