British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Australia (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/)
-   -   Victoria (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/victoria-274579/)

graemestuart99 Jan 1st 2005 9:35 am

Victoria

Hi i am new to this site - My family and i have sarted to visa process and are taking the Victoria visa (forgotten the exact name of it). Caqn anyone give me the lowdown on Melbourne and surrounding areas - house prices, weather, what are best areas, Education. I know this is very broad but we are still at the early stages and would appreciate any advice.

Also are there any teachers out there who came from the UK with degree and PGCE and now teach in Aus - what are thew processes you have to go through to do this? I am and ICTsecondary teacher and my wife is an RE secondary teacher - also what are the job opportunities for 2 secondary teachers in Victoria.

Again any advice would be welcomed - Thanks in Advance :)

Graeme & Clare

kirsty&al Jan 1st 2005 7:28 pm

Re: Victoria

Originally Posted by graemestuart99
Hi i am new to this site - My family and i have sarted to visa process and are taking the Victoria visa (forgotten the exact name of it). Caqn anyone give me the lowdown on Melbourne and surrounding areas - house prices, weather, what are best areas, Education. I know this is very broad but we are still at the early stages and would appreciate any advice.

Also are there any teachers out there who came from the UK with degree and PGCE and now teach in Aus - what are thew processes you have to go through to do this? I am and ICTsecondary teacher and my wife is an RE secondary teacher - also what are the job opportunities for 2 secondary teachers in Victoria.

Again any advice would be welcomed - Thanks in Advance :)

Graeme & Clare

Hello,

As you say broad question, so I'll have to give you some broad answers. You might want to think about posting your question on BritVics http://s7.invisionfree.com/BritVics/index.php?act=idx

House prices in Melbourne are much lower than Sydney, but are higher than other state capitals. The price you pay will depend on where you go and the size of property you want. Houses near the centre will be more expensive and on smaller plots (although not as small as London). Houses further out will usually be less expensive with larger plots. Generally the east side is considered to be more desirable than the west side, and the south east suburbs seem to be popular. As with any large city there are good and bad areas and these are spread about (a bit like Dulwich being next to Peckham in London or Camden, which has some really nice bits and some really nasty bits). In terms of the best areas, this will depend on what you are looking for.

The weather is often described as four seasons in one day. Although you may be used to this in the UK; it is more extreme here. For example the temperature can vary by 10 to 15 degrees from one day to the next and sometimes within the same day. However, generally, the weather is better than the UK and is comparable to Nice in the South of France (although Nice does not have the 4-seasons effect). It does get hot in the summer with temperatures in the 30s and it does get cold in the winter although you will be unlucky to get frost. (Note that, generally, Australian houses are not as well insulated as UK ones.) If you like seasons then Melbourne is a good place to be.

Sorry but I can't tell you much about schools but I've not heard any significant complaints (just the general moans that you would get anywhere). As with elsewhere there are schools that are considered to be better than others and vice versa.

The areas around Melbourne are beautiful and Victoria has been blessed with varied and interesting landscapes. For example, within short distances of Melbourne you will find large mountain ranges, large forests, rolling pastoral land, expansive lakes, great coastline (and beaches) and snow fields (in winter).

Good luck with your research. You may want to use the search facility on this site to search for previous posts.

Best Regards
Alistair