Vicious Circle

Old Apr 25th 2003, 8:23 am
Homeward Bound

spuds has a reputation beyond reputespuds has a reputation beyond reputespuds has a reputation beyond reputespuds has a reputation beyond reputespuds has a reputation beyond reputespuds has a reputation beyond reputespuds has a reputation beyond reputespuds has a reputation beyond reputespuds has a reputation beyond reputespuds has a reputation beyond reputespuds has a reputation beyond repute
Red face Vicious Circle

Hi Guys,

After bending your ear and asking for advice again! Some of you might remember my last post where I said that our application has gone down the tubes due to not having an assurer Oz side. Anyway, we've been advised that business sponsorship might be the way to go.

I've been looking into it and found a couple of companies with PQBS who are willing to sponsor us if hubby can get job offer for a minimum of 3 months. Sounds pretty straight-forward but it seems Ozzie firms won't touch you unless you have the right to work in Oz first. Obviously can't get the right to work in Oz without job and can't get job without the right to work. Seem to be banging my head against a brick wall!

Also, if we went to Oz and did manage to find a job, then applied for sponsorship, how long would it be before we could actually work?

Has anyone got any experience or advice on this?

Thanks

Emma
Old Apr 25th 2003, 9:47 am
BE Enthusiast

Rudy is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Vicious Circle

Hi Emma,

How old are you? If you are under 30 you could apply for a working holiday visa and then once in Oz apply for the PR visa, maybe by a perm job offer.

Sorry if you've mentioned before that you aren't eligible for this, I can't remember what you said on your last post. It was just a thought.

You can check out the Working holiday regualtions here
http://www.immi.gov.au/allforms/temp_whm.htm

Hazel.
Old Apr 25th 2003, 10:13 am
Homeward Bound

spuds has a reputation beyond reputespuds has a reputation beyond reputespuds has a reputation beyond reputespuds has a reputation beyond reputespuds has a reputation beyond reputespuds has a reputation beyond reputespuds has a reputation beyond reputespuds has a reputation beyond reputespuds has a reputation beyond reputespuds has a reputation beyond reputespuds has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Hazel,

Thanks for the advice. I already have a working holiday visa but my husband is 39 and he's the one who's likely to get sponsorship.

It's just so frustrating that he can't even get a temp work visa to look for a job!
Old Apr 25th 2003, 10:27 am
Forum Regular

grubelice is an unknown quantity at this point

Sorry to hear about your frustrating situation. Regarding the employment offer, my brother in law and sister went to Oz twice to try to get employment and as you say Oz employers wouldn't consider them until PR came through. They are now waiting for their visa and have actually bought a house out there but don't yet have permission to stay - but that is all in hand now. I believe that route is very very difficult unless you have exceptional skills that are in short supply. Don't know your situation but have you sought professional help. Sometimes an interview with an immigration agent comes up with a solution that you may not have considered. I found this to be the case with my visa as I left applying till about three months before my 45th birthday (the cut off date) and if I had applied as a teacher (my profession) the Skills Assessment would have taken about six months as that particular board of assessors are notorioulsy slow (NOOSRA I think) but having a degree qualified me as a Marketing Analyst so I got in that way as the assessment board for that skill did it in four weeks. If it hadn't been for the immigration agent knowing that I would have been scuppered.

Anyway my advice would be to get a fresh pair of eyes to look at your situation. I expect you have done this, but as I say, don't know your situation. Wishing you good luck (and sorry to ramble)

Elaine
Old Apr 25th 2003, 10:49 am
Homeward Bound

Hi Elaine. All rambling gratefully appreciated! So what visa are you actually going for now and what does it entail?

Emma
Old Apr 25th 2003, 3:34 pm
Forum Regular

grubelice is an unknown quantity at this point

Hello Emma

I have had my visa since the end of last May. I had skilled sponsored by my cousin. I had points for going to South Australia, qualifications. years of work experience and an extra 5 points for speaking an extra language (Italian). I had good advice from Concept Australia as I applied just 3 months short of my 45th birthday. Having got my visa I had a very short time frame in which to validate my visa - ie just go to Oz and get the stamp on it within a certain time frame. Now I am at the stage where I really have to pull my finger out and get going but (and those on this site who are tearing their hair out trying to get there will be jealously mad) it is a big step to make - especially when you go on your own. I wonder if there are others in the same boat prevaricating about taking that big step. This website is very good as there are usually lots of ideas and support as well as the negative.

I found the process of applying incredibly bureaucratic, slow and expensive. Having said that I understand that if you satisfy the stringent criteria you are treated fairly - it's just satisfying the criteria that can prove the stumbling block.

I sincerely hope that you find a route in as you sound very keen to go. I am sorry you have had your disappointment

Elaine
Old Apr 25th 2003, 3:57 pm
Homeward Bound

Are you kidding? GO! GO! GO!

No seriously, I can imagine this is a huge thing for you to do but I'm sure you won't regret it and well done you!

So how long did it take you to get your visa?

We are still waiting for a friend to confirm whether she will be our assurer. This is the only thing standing in our way as our previous assurer backed out.

Keep your fingers crossed!

Emma.
Old Apr 25th 2003, 6:48 pm
Beyond Redemption

Snitzy is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Vicious Circle

Originally posted by emmahafryn
Hi Guys,

After bending your ear and asking for advice again! Some of you might remember my last post where I said that our application has gone down the tubes due to not having an assurer Oz side. Anyway, we've been advised that business sponsorship might be the way to go.

I've been looking into it and found a couple of companies with PQBS who are willing to sponsor us if hubby can get job offer for a minimum of 3 months. Sounds pretty straight-forward but it seems Ozzie firms won't touch you unless you have the right to work in Oz first. Obviously can't get the right to work in Oz without job and can't get job without the right to work. Seem to be banging my head against a brick wall!

Also, if we went to Oz and did manage to find a job, then applied for sponsorship, how long would it be before we could actually work?

Has anyone got any experience or advice on this?

Thanks

Emma
Ok... I didn't know this until recently as my wife and I applied the long way round and waited over 2 years - off in Sept at last ! BUT a work mates brother who has no qualifications etc just fly out to Oz in Feb and got a recruitment agency to sponsor him. Apparently it happens all the time ( must be some loophole ) and they do all the paper work and he has a 4 year business visa just like that ! Only draw back is that he has to stay with the same agancy and they take a small cut from his salary for the pleasure. He works in sales now I believe and after 2 years there he can apply to stay I think. Same thing happened to mate a few years back as well so it must go on all the time.
Hope thats of some interest
Regards
Simon.
Old Apr 25th 2003, 10:20 pm
Homeward Bound

Of definate interest Simon! Do you know who this miraculous agency was?