Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Vet Fees in Australia

Vet Fees in Australia

Old Dec 5th 2007, 10:12 pm

Cheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Vet Fees in Australia

Originally Posted by bridie
I would say it's cut off for new customers
I thought it was but wasn't sure

Originally Posted by NikiL
Its the cut off age of 8 for new customers, my old boy was insured up with them until we lost him when he was 16. There are some who take on animals that are older, but only a few. Their top plan is bloody good - carries on paying for conditions after renewal, a hell of a lot of them don't do that so if Gordon (god forbid) developed something chronic he'd still be covered as long as you kept renewing. They pay up very quickly, no quibbling (unlike some). Highly recommend them.
Even their lower plan is not bad, $12 a month which for Gordon would be fine as he will be an indoor cat and I wouldnt want purchase price should he die because he only cost me £15 (worth so much more than that - to me).

I shall start the insurance when he is in quarantine.
Old Dec 6th 2007, 1:02 am
BE Forum Addict

nickyjohnt has a reputation beyond reputenickyjohnt has a reputation beyond reputenickyjohnt has a reputation beyond reputenickyjohnt has a reputation beyond reputenickyjohnt has a reputation beyond reputenickyjohnt has a reputation beyond reputenickyjohnt has a reputation beyond reputenickyjohnt has a reputation beyond reputenickyjohnt has a reputation beyond reputenickyjohnt has a reputation beyond reputenickyjohnt has a reputation beyond repute

Not sure about the rest of Australia but here in Perth we take our dogs to Vet west . They have a health plan where you pay $320 dollars and you get all consultations free, worming tablets/ heartworm and flea treatments sent every month. This also covers jabs and 4 hydro baths. One of our dogs has a lot of medical problems so this has worked out quite well .

Nicky
Old Dec 6th 2007, 1:32 am
Forum Regular

DCI Gene Hunt is just really niceDCI Gene Hunt is just really niceDCI Gene Hunt is just really niceDCI Gene Hunt is just really niceDCI Gene Hunt is just really niceDCI Gene Hunt is just really niceDCI Gene Hunt is just really niceDCI Gene Hunt is just really niceDCI Gene Hunt is just really niceDCI Gene Hunt is just really niceDCI Gene Hunt is just really nice

I think I'm getting ripped off. Everytime we take our cats to the vet for a booster, we get charged a consultation fee + the injection fee. It ends up costing about $90 a shot. I should really use past tense though as we haven't done it for almost two years. I haven't been back since the local vet wanted to put down my Seal Point Siamese due to an undiagnosed sever illness and after me spending $1500 with them.
Three days in Lort Smith Animal Hospital and $430 later my cat is alive and well.
Old Dec 6th 2007, 6:21 am
BE Enthusiast

Sue from Manchester has a brilliant futureSue from Manchester has a brilliant futureSue from Manchester has a brilliant futureSue from Manchester has a brilliant futureSue from Manchester has a brilliant futureSue from Manchester has a brilliant future

My cat recently cost me $1,000 in vet bills for 2 nights stay, blood tests, faecal test, ultrasound, drips, medicines and supply of low allergy food. They wanted to do a biopsy too for another $1,500 but I said no. It was only to confirm their diagnosis. I wish I'd took out the pet insurance but I'd only just got her. I suppose they won't accept her now with a pre-existing condition. They think inflammatory bowel disease. I'd set up a savings account and pay into it every month to cover vet bills. Of course I didn't expect something so severe to go wrong so quickly. Not sure if I'm going to go back to them as they seem very keen on doing expensive procedures. Like they're talking about another ultrasound ($300) to check if she has recovered. Do you think I could get insurance now?
Old Dec 6th 2007, 6:46 am
BE Forum Addict

breezeboylan is a splendid one to beholdbreezeboylan is a splendid one to beholdbreezeboylan is a splendid one to beholdbreezeboylan is a splendid one to beholdbreezeboylan is a splendid one to beholdbreezeboylan is a splendid one to beholdbreezeboylan is a splendid one to beholdbreezeboylan is a splendid one to beholdbreezeboylan is a splendid one to beholdbreezeboylan is a splendid one to beholdbreezeboylan is a splendid one to behold

Since my dog got here, which was only last January, she has cost us over $2000 in vets fees!!! She developed allergies to pollen and lots of other things as soon as she got here. We have her insured at the cost of $27 a month and they have just paid out every time no questions asked The only down side is that we have to pay the bills first and they refund us. I was a bit concerned that they wouldn't renew her policy this year or the premiums would increase but I've just had her new policy through and no changes.
Tracie
Old Dec 6th 2007, 11:44 am

Cheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by nickyjohnt
Not sure about the rest of Australia but here in Perth we take our dogs to Vet west . They have a health plan where you pay $320 dollars and you get all consultations free, worming tablets/ heartworm and flea treatments sent every month. This also covers jabs and 4 hydro baths. One of our dogs has a lot of medical problems so this has worked out quite well .

Nicky
That sounds like a reasonable plan Nicky, is that a yearly fee?

Petplan is the one we shall go with I should imagine.
Old Dec 6th 2007, 12:17 pm
BE Forum Addict

nickyjohnt has a reputation beyond reputenickyjohnt has a reputation beyond reputenickyjohnt has a reputation beyond reputenickyjohnt has a reputation beyond reputenickyjohnt has a reputation beyond reputenickyjohnt has a reputation beyond reputenickyjohnt has a reputation beyond reputenickyjohnt has a reputation beyond reputenickyjohnt has a reputation beyond reputenickyjohnt has a reputation beyond reputenickyjohnt has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Professional Princess
That sounds like a reasonable plan Nicky, is that a yearly fee?

Petplan is the one we shall go with I should imagine.

Hi PP

Yes its a yearly fee, might not be the best plan for Gordon but if you scroll down they have the plan for the cats !
http://www.vetwest.com.au/pricing

Nicky
Old Dec 6th 2007, 12:52 pm
Banned

Timber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond repute

dont RACQ do pet insurance
Old Dec 6th 2007, 12:55 pm

Originally Posted by nickyjohnt
Hi PP

Yes its a yearly fee, might not be the best plan for Gordon but if you scroll down they have the plan for the cats !
http://www.vetwest.com.au/pricing

Nicky
It works out $230 for Gordon. I am not sure how viable it is as the vaccine wouldn't cost a hundred quid anyway and they would only need one check up a year.

I might look into it further. Thanks for the link
Old Dec 6th 2007, 1:44 pm
BE Enthusiast

Phoenix is a splendid one to beholdPhoenix is a splendid one to beholdPhoenix is a splendid one to beholdPhoenix is a splendid one to beholdPhoenix is a splendid one to beholdPhoenix is a splendid one to beholdPhoenix is a splendid one to beholdPhoenix is a splendid one to beholdPhoenix is a splendid one to beholdPhoenix is a splendid one to beholdPhoenix is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by jajnlis
Hiya

Just took our 12 year old pooch for some work etc today....

1. X-rays on dodgy hips
2. Chest/heart x-ray
3. Numerous blood tests
4. Dental makeover including 3 extractions
5. General anaesthetic and removal of a "mass"
6. Lab checks on said mass
7. Daycare pre and post-op
8. Meds (painkillers and antibiotics)

All that little lot came to $760...........

Hope that helps.....

JAJ
That sounds like a bargain to me.

Hope he heals well

I had some blood tests done on my horse in the uk before i left and that came to over £500
Old Dec 8th 2007, 12:38 pm
Moved out bush!

jensteve has much to be proud ofjensteve has much to be proud ofjensteve has much to be proud ofjensteve has much to be proud ofjensteve has much to be proud ofjensteve has much to be proud ofjensteve has much to be proud ofjensteve has much to be proud ofjensteve has much to be proud ofjensteve has much to be proud ofjensteve has much to be proud of

Ok here are some ideas on costs for you

Consult $46
Dental no extractions $250-300
X-ray 1st usually around the $100 and others taken after half that cost
Pro-heart injection $80-120 depending on dog size
Hospitilisation for day treatment $35-40
Mass removal we work on minutes taken so around the $100 generally will be ok for most small lumps plus anaesthetic $150

I suppose there is a lot of difference out there, the last practice I worked for charged much more for tooth extractions, we work on how many minutes it took to get it out. Pet insurance is good here, its just not widely used yet not to the extent of the UK. Some vet practices do a yearly health plan sort of thing, flea stuff etc and free consults, these are worth the originally cost as you can save loads.

Hope this helps
Jenny