Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Vet Fees in Australia

Vet Fees in Australia

Old Dec 5th 2007, 8:16 am
Just Joined

Brian Wilson is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Vet Fees in Australia

I have seen loads of threads on the cost of shipping our pets out to Australia.

I am interested to know what the average vet bill costs when you take your dog or cat for a check up? How much medication costs and is the pet insurance good value for money?

Thanks folks.
Old Dec 5th 2007, 8:26 am
Banned

Timber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Vet Fees in Australia

Originally Posted by Brian Wilson

I am interested to know what the average vet bill costs when you take your dog or cat for a check up? How much medication costs and is the pet insurance good value for money?

Thanks folks.
1st off GET Pet Insurance !!

2nd Vet bills are similar to uk, no more no less in my opinion, and at times more expensive.

3rd we have never paid consultation fees, cos we have never needed animals consulting, they have just charged us the Insultant fees, cos presumably we needed insulting

I kinda know a tad about vet fees, cos i have7 bloody dogs.

Other factor, regular heart worm, flea and tick control, etc etc.. can get a tad expensive

Ste

oh and regarding insurance being good value?

Its only good value when you need to use it !
Old Dec 5th 2007, 9:34 am
CANBERRA !!!

jajnlis is an unknown quantity at this point

Hiya

Just took our 12 year old pooch for some work etc today....

1. X-rays on dodgy hips
2. Chest/heart x-ray
3. Numerous blood tests
4. Dental makeover including 3 extractions
5. General anaesthetic and removal of a "mass"
6. Lab checks on said mass
7. Daycare pre and post-op
8. Meds (painkillers and antibiotics)

All that little lot came to $760...........

Hope that helps.....

JAJ
Old Dec 5th 2007, 7:02 pm
markj

painter man is just really nicepainter man is just really nicepainter man is just really nicepainter man is just really nicepainter man is just really nicepainter man is just really nicepainter man is just really nicepainter man is just really nicepainter man is just really nicepainter man is just really nicepainter man is just really nice

Our pooch jake the collie alias the prince of darkness is on Metacam for his hind leg ,any ideas on the cost this
Old Dec 5th 2007, 7:03 pm
Liz

lizhenshaw is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Brian Wilson

Thanks folks.

Just be aware of the tick and flea treatment you have to give your dog is an additional cost, - every two weeks if you are using drops on the back of the neck - highly recommended. Vets are a necessary evil/godsend that you have got to pay for wherever you go - part of having pets in my opinion.
Be advised though, that Australia is not as dog friendly as UK - you are restricted on where you can take your dog off the lead - these are generally fenced off areas within a park and sometimes are not that big, especially if your dog is anything like mine and is use to long country walks. If your dog is off the lead outside an 'off-leash' area it is an instant $150 fine. Your dog also has to be registered every year - again instant fine if not. I wish I had known about the restrictions before I came over, it would have made me think twice.
Old Dec 5th 2007, 7:19 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

jad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond repute

Rego if animal is desexed is only $15 a year.

Off leash areas, IMO plenty of them where we live, dog park, dog beaches, dog walking areas, where they can be off leash between 4pm and 8pm.

Dog owners supposed to poop and scoop, many dont but councils do provide bags and bins on all the popular walks.

Vets, annual vaccination about $60, we use the mobile vet she comes to the houese, does quick check up too, all included. Strange rash cost $75 for cream etc.

Tic collars, $6.95, advantix, dont use this all year but at start of summer when flea season hits ( yes they love humid wet hot conditions ) is about $35 for 3 but can be bought cheaper on line in bulk.

Heartworm pills as little as $4 for 100 from woolworth or annual vac about $70.

Dont find having dogs here any more of a prob than in uk. One thing we have added is clipping very short for summer only, again they come to the house, $45, including hydro bath. Normally bathing is at the beach showers.
Old Dec 5th 2007, 7:33 pm
Liz

Ok enlighten me on where abouts you are - I find the off leash area the biggest restriction I have ever come across! I am struggling on giving my dog any freedom to run around - he is large breed.
Old Dec 5th 2007, 7:38 pm
BE Forum Addict

esperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond reputeesperanza has a reputation beyond repute

Where we live(NSW) you just pay once for a lifetime registration, not every year. The vet we've been to charges $57 for a consult, so ours has to be on his last legs before he gets one - hasn't happened yet, thankfully.
Advantix we don't use every fortnight, every 3-4 weeks instead (so far, but haven't hit the height of summer yet) don't know how much it is but can't be too expensive or I would have noticed.
He had a heartwork vaccination/jab when we got here, it was about $100 but lasts all year.
We feed him on giant sacks of dried food, decent stuff (read the ingredients/nutritional values) but not a big brand name, costs about $35 for 20kg, lasts over a month - cheaper than the UK.

We don't have insurance, as we used to have it in the UK and when I read the contract one day I realised that it covered us for absolutely bugger all. I'd rather save the money and pay out when necessary. Being someone who would put a pet down rather than give it chemo, I don't foresee paying thousands and thousands at any point in the near future. (Touch wood)

Where I am, never seen a dog-poo-bin, certainly not provided with bags! But there are several areas where we can let him off the lead & run around free, not fenced in - on the beach & out in the bush/scrub out the back of our estate.
Old Dec 5th 2007, 7:43 pm
Liz

I have also been advised that you should take strong measures towards preventing ticks - they have the paralysis ticks here which can easily kill you dog. As mentioned I treat me dog every two weeks, or alternatively they can have an injection every month. It might depend on where you are going, but I am in Queensland, and they are very serious about the preventative measures and so should you be.
Old Dec 5th 2007, 8:10 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

jad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lizhenshaw
Ok enlighten me on where abouts you are - I find the off leash area the biggest restriction I have ever come across! I am struggling on giving my dog any freedom to run around - he is large breed.

Sunshine coast, we have doggy beaches, parks, walks, even the national park at point cartwright is doggy friendly after 4pm. But big fines if your in the wrong area, at mooloolaba there was a $5000 sign posted as you walk up to alexandra headland, so do check first
Old Dec 5th 2007, 8:15 pm

Cheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond repute

Does anyone know if I will be able to organise my pet insurance for my cat Gordon for when he arrives in Oz and starts his quarantine?

Im just assuming if I have an address of some sort for the formality then surely he can be sorted from when he lands at Perth.
Old Dec 5th 2007, 9:47 pm
BE Forum Addict

NikiL has a reputation beyond reputeNikiL has a reputation beyond reputeNikiL has a reputation beyond reputeNikiL has a reputation beyond reputeNikiL has a reputation beyond reputeNikiL has a reputation beyond reputeNikiL has a reputation beyond reputeNikiL has a reputation beyond reputeNikiL has a reputation beyond reputeNikiL has a reputation beyond reputeNikiL has a reputation beyond repute

Petplan operate in Oz as well, don't know who Gordons insured with, but they may be able to provide you with continuous insurance.
Old Dec 5th 2007, 10:01 pm

Cheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by NikiL
Petplan operate in Oz as well, don't know who Gordons insured with, but they may be able to provide you with continuous insurance.
He is insured with 'More Than'.

I have had a look at Petplan and it is reasonable. It says they insure up to 8 years old, I wonder if cover ceases then or if that is the cut off age for new customers.
Old Dec 5th 2007, 10:04 pm
BE Forum Addict

bridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Professional Princess
He is insured with 'More Than'.

I have had a look at Petplan and it is reasonable. It says they insure up to 8 years old, I wonder if cover ceases then or if that is the cut off age for new customers.
I would say it's cut off for new customers
Old Dec 5th 2007, 10:05 pm
BE Forum Addict

NikiL has a reputation beyond reputeNikiL has a reputation beyond reputeNikiL has a reputation beyond reputeNikiL has a reputation beyond reputeNikiL has a reputation beyond reputeNikiL has a reputation beyond reputeNikiL has a reputation beyond reputeNikiL has a reputation beyond reputeNikiL has a reputation beyond reputeNikiL has a reputation beyond reputeNikiL has a reputation beyond repute

Its the cut off age of 8 for new customers, my old boy was insured up with them until we lost him when he was 16. There are some who take on animals that are older, but only a few. Their top plan is bloody good - carries on paying for conditions after renewal, a hell of a lot of them don't do that so if Gordon (god forbid) developed something chronic he'd still be covered as long as you kept renewing. They pay up very quickly, no quibbling (unlike some). Highly recommend them.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.