Very 'Taxing!'

Old Apr 19th 2008, 12:50 pm
Forum Regular

jam76 is just really nicejam76 is just really nicejam76 is just really nicejam76 is just really nicejam76 is just really nicejam76 is just really nicejam76 is just really nicejam76 is just really nicejam76 is just really nicejam76 is just really nicejam76 is just really nice
Default Very 'Taxing!'

Hey y'all,

I went to Australia on a WHV in 04-05 and am now looking to head out on a 457 in December.

Now with all the paranoia's and panicking on this forum of diclosure of various things on visa's before we submit them (myself included), one of the questions was 'any debts owed to the commonwealth of Australia', now being good boy, I realised that I did not complete a tax return in 2005 for 1/2 a days work whilst technically being self employed (I had an ABN for a call centre job), I grossed only $80 and didn't think anything of it. I have already let the ATO know and they sent the relevant docs to me....

I have absolutely no clue how to fill it out!! I think 80% of the forms do not apply to me!

I had a TFN also for which I did 1 weeks work but when speaking with the nice lady at the ATO she said i had to do a return for when I also did that weeks work...totally confused as I thought my employer would deduct all my tax from my wages (which he did on my PAYE slip), i didn't even apply for my tax back either! Why do i have to complete a tax return for that one week on a TFN? i don't owe anything on that, if anything im entitled to my tax back from that week worked.

Any ideas on how to fill this out, without employing an accountant??

Its not like I need to work out $70,000 of pay/tax is it? It was 80 bucks!!!
:curse:
Old Apr 19th 2008, 1:16 pm
Forum Regular

Darren_Karen is just really niceDarren_Karen is just really niceDarren_Karen is just really niceDarren_Karen is just really niceDarren_Karen is just really niceDarren_Karen is just really niceDarren_Karen is just really niceDarren_Karen is just really niceDarren_Karen is just really niceDarren_Karen is just really nice
Default Re: Very 'Taxing!'

Hi, you will need to complete a tax return, because you've earned. You will get the tax back, you're allowed to earn $500 a month before paying tax, although temp residents pay more tax (but as you were on a WHV presume they treat you as resident anyway for that year).

Do you need to get this sorted before you enter the country again? Be much easier to sort out when here then you can get help filling in.

Your employer (even for 1 week) should have sent you a payment summary at the end of the tax year which would detail income and tax withdrawn (already paid on your behalf). Don't worry about loads of the form not applying to you, it's all encompassing. You'll need to complete Item 1 for income/salary - and that's basically it (i presume, not knowing your situation).

You're required to keep documents up to 6 years, so if you don't have any docs to help you complete the forms, you can get in touch with ATO, quote your TFN/DOB and they'll be able to help.

It's not as bad as it seems - although I can appreciate its a pain to sort out considering amount of money you've earned.

Karen
Old Apr 19th 2008, 3:27 pm
Forum Regular

jam76 is just really nicejam76 is just really nicejam76 is just really nicejam76 is just really nicejam76 is just really nicejam76 is just really nicejam76 is just really nicejam76 is just really nicejam76 is just really nicejam76 is just really nicejam76 is just really nice
Default Re: Very 'Taxing!'

Originally Posted by Darren_Karen
Hi, you will need to complete a tax return, because you've earned. You will get the tax back, you're allowed to earn $500 a month before paying tax, although temp residents pay more tax (but as you were on a WHV presume they treat you as resident anyway for that year).

Do you need to get this sorted before you enter the country again? Be much easier to sort out when here then you can get help filling in.

Your employer (even for 1 week) should have sent you a payment summary at the end of the tax year which would detail income and tax withdrawn (already paid on your behalf). Don't worry about loads of the form not applying to you, it's all encompassing. You'll need to complete Item 1 for income/salary - and that's basically it (i presume, not knowing your situation).

You're required to keep documents up to 6 years, so if you don't have any docs to help you complete the forms, you can get in touch with ATO, quote your TFN/DOB and they'll be able to help.

It's not as bad as it seems - although I can appreciate its a pain to sort out considering amount of money you've earned.

Karen

Hey Karen, thanks for the input, very helpful.

Yeah i have my payg from my employer when I did my week under my TFN and I have my payslip (time sheet) for when I worked in the call centre for the half days work i did (the job was total cr*p and I quit after 5 hours!)

Yeah the business forms were confusing cos half the questions were for like small business owners, expenses, travel costs, insurance fees etc etc...

I was worried as it would probably be like 2 sections out of the 15 completed and the rest blank!

Would it help to photocopy my payg and also a personal statement of my position when I was in Australia and send it with the forms?

Funny thing is, is that a few peeps told me that if i didn't bother asking for the return papers nobody would have known as that $80 gross (tax earned on it) would have been written off! i always make a rod for my own back but if im heading for a new start in australia then i wanted a clean slate so to speak!