Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

VERY serious weather warning - Queensland

VERY serious weather warning - Queensland

Old Jan 24th 2005, 9:12 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute
Exclamation VERY serious weather warning - Queensland

I don't normally cut'n'paste large amounts, but this weather warning has been discussed in great detail at work, and I think people should be aware of it, just in case it develops as they fear.
The word around the offices of the Emergency Services is that this low has the potential to develop into a full-blown cyclone, and then come right down the east coast of Queensland, with a remote possibility that it could get as far as Brisbane.
------------------------------------------

From the Bureau of Meteorology:

TOP PRIORITY FOR IMMEDIATE BROADCAST;
UPDATED SEVERE WEATHER WARNING
for Damaging Winds and Very Heavy Rainfall.
for people in coastal, island and adjacent mountain areas between Bowen and
Bundaberg including the Whitsunday Group
Issued at 4:45 pm on Monday 24 January 2005

Synoptic Situation: A tropical low with a central pressure of 1000 hPa is
located about 250 km east north-east of Bowen and is expected to move south south-eastwards to be located about 450 km east of Mackay by late Tuesday afternoon.

The low may intensify over the next 24 to 36 hours. Wind gusts to 90 km/hr may occur in coastal areas between Bowen and St Lawrence including the Whitsunday Group overnight and then extend southwards to Bundaberg during Tuesday. Heavy rain may occur on the coast between Bowen and St Lawrence overnight and then spread southwards to Bundaberg during the Tuesday.

As the low moves south south-eastwards conditions will ease gradually from the north.

The next warning is due to be issued by 11 pm Monday.

This warning is also available through TV and Radio broadcasts; the Bureau's
website at www.bom.gov.au or call 1300 659 219. The Bureau and State Emergency Service would appreciate this warning being broadcast regularly.
Old Jan 24th 2005, 10:03 am
58.38264% - Extreme Geek

anya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to allanya4oz is a name known to all
Default Re: VERY serious weather warning - Queensland

Originally Posted by Pollyana
I don't normally cut'n'paste large amounts, but this weather warning has been discussed in great detail at work, and I think people should be aware of it, just in case it develops as they fear.
The word around the offices of the Emergency Services is that this low has the potential to develop into a full-blown cyclone, and then come right down the east coast of Queensland, with a remote possibility that it could get as far as Brisbane. ....
Sounds awful - fingers crossed you will all be OK up there. Take care, all.

There's some bad weather about - just heard from my rels in USA who are dealing with 3ft of snow :scared:

Anya.
Old Jan 24th 2005, 10:22 am

aidbish is an unknown quantity at this point

its really blowing hard around mackay, just been speaking to my sister and all her "little piece of England" conifers have been blown down, she says it going to get worse tomorow
Old Jan 24th 2005, 11:21 am
Account Closed

TraceyW is an unknown quantity at this point

Bump

I hope you're all okay over there.....
Old Jan 24th 2005, 11:26 am
Banned

E=mc2 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by TraceyW
Bump

I hope you're all okay over there.....
Absolutely fine here, is this a wind up?
Old Jan 24th 2005, 11:50 am

aidbish is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by E=mc2
no wind up, take a look here

http://www.bom.gov.au/products/warn_qld.shtml
Old Jan 24th 2005, 1:09 pm
ad4ozz

Snowing and hale stoning in the UK and bl**dy freezing ... doom and gloom everywhere... .

Old Jan 24th 2005, 1:26 pm
Home and Happy

Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by E=mc2
Its no wind-up. The advice I copied is from the Bureau of Met website, they are deadly serious. There was talk at work today (in the dept that organises SES volunteers and disaster relief) of being on alert for the low to become a cyclone, and they mentioned a strong possibility of it moving right down the coast.
I thought long and hard before posting it, in case it was treated as a wind-up or a joke, but then The Bloke and I decided that not everyone checks the met website, and we (me especially, through work) ought to post it to make people aware. It may fizzle out, we all hope so, but if it doesn't, people have been warned. People scoffed at the guys who warned of Cyclone Tracy........
many later wished they'd taken it seriously.
The Bloke is a Queenslander, and he said tonight that one of the scariest things ever is hearing the cyclone warning siren, and the howl of the wind, and knowing you have left it to late to do antyhing at all. The only thing left to do is pray.

I'm not trying to scare people, just make them aware of what nature throws at this part of the world.
Old Jan 24th 2005, 2:26 pm
frozen to the keyboard

Brissiegirl has a spectacular aura aboutBrissiegirl has a spectacular aura aboutBrissiegirl has a spectacular aura about

nasty stuff hope everyone is prepared as much as possible for the wind and the inevitable rain that will follow... lucky me was born not many weeks after the treat of Cyclone Tracy... and the massive flooding rains that followed in Jan of 74.

check out the sat. piccy of the low/cycle : http://www.abc.net.au/news/australia...er/default.htm

Last edited by Brissiegirl; Jan 24th 2005 at 2:29 pm. Reason: added a link.
Old Jan 24th 2005, 7:45 pm
Anything,Anytime,Anywhere

The Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond repute

Bump!
Old Jan 24th 2005, 7:46 pm

bondipom is an unknown quantity at this point

Surfs up dude.
Old Jan 24th 2005, 8:13 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

jad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pollyana
Its no wind-up. The advice I copied is from the Bureau of Met website, they are deadly serious. There was talk at work today (in the dept that organises SES volunteers and disaster relief) of being on alert for the low to become a cyclone, and they mentioned a strong possibility of it moving right down the coast.
I thought long and hard before posting it, in case it was treated as a wind-up or a joke, but then The Bloke and I decided that not everyone checks the met website, and we (me especially, through work) ought to post it to make people aware. It may fizzle out, we all hope so, but if it doesn't, people have been warned. People scoffed at the guys who warned of Cyclone Tracy........
many later wished they'd taken it seriously.
The Bloke is a Queenslander, and he said tonight that one of the scariest things ever is hearing the cyclone warning siren, and the howl of the wind, and knowing you have left it to late to do antyhing at all. The only thing left to do is pray.

I'm not trying to scare people, just make them aware of what nature throws at this part of the world.

Thanks Polly, obviously no wind up we are now in cyclone season

Actually I didnt know about it, kids back to school, horrendus day, 32x 8 year olds in class, 3 with severe behavioural problems and a teacher known as the school scream and lose it variety, spent day checking out schools again and becoming increasingly shocked, watching the news was last thing on my mind.
So thanks.
Old Jan 24th 2005, 8:24 pm
BE Forum Addict

glittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jad n rich

Actually I didnt know about it, kids back to school, horrendus day, 32x 8 year olds in class, 3 with severe behavioural problems and a teacher known as the school scream and lose it variety, spent day checking out schools again and becoming increasingly shocked, watching the news was last thing on my mind.
So thanks.
OMG! Sounds awful (the school I mean - but also the weather). My kids have asked whether there's time for them to finish their education here before we return! Bless them, they're only 8, 7 and 5 and think school finishes next year. They're really happy at their school and its perfect. Small, country village school where generations of my hubby's family have also gone. 60 pupils in whole school, 11 per class. We've never had any probs with bullying and they all have great friends there. It'll be heart breaking to take them away and put them in a school with 900 children! Sooo confused
Old Jan 24th 2005, 8:32 pm

cresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jad n rich

So thanks.
We're all battened down, shade sails down, barbie garaged and all the outdoor furniture away. Waiting for the wind and rain we've been waiting for it since it was forecast last Friday and we've still not had a drop......Yet :scared:
Old Jan 24th 2005, 8:42 pm
Home and Happy

Originally Posted by cresta57
We're all battened down, shade sails down, barbie garaged and all the outdoor furniture away. Waiting for the wind and rain we've been waiting for it since it was forecast last Friday and we've still not had a drop......Yet :scared:
Never mind the furniture, make sure the Microbrewery is protected! Don't want any smashed bottles now....

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.