British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Australia (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/)
-   -   very important question (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/very-important-question-475853/)

off2ozzy Aug 21st 2007 8:33 pm

very important question

do people drink aussie beers or do they stick to imported beers like corrona , stella, and other quality lagers.i have noticed on here that people say that aussie beers are of a similar taste to swamp water :eek::eek::eek:i do want to try all things australian and to fit in as best i can but if having a beer makes you look like you are chewing a wasp this will not be funny.are imported beers expensive if you dont like drinking aussie beers:mad::mad::mad:

cheers daz:thumbsup:

minibelle Aug 21st 2007 9:17 pm

Re: very important question

Originally Posted by off2ozzy (Post 5218692)
do people drink aussie beers or do they stick to imported beers like corrona , stella, and other quality lagers.i have noticed on here that people say that aussie beers are of a similar taste to swamp water :eek::eek::eek:i do want to try all things australian and to fit in as best i can but if having a beer makes you look like you are chewing a wasp this will not be funny.are imported beers expensive if you dont like drinking aussie beers:mad::mad::mad:

Hi off2ozzy

We have visited oz a few times, and have found that imported tend to be more expensive, especially stella artois. on average that can be more than 1.5 times the price depending where you are. Aussie beer on the whole is not that bad but can take a little getting used to. try to stick to one brand until you get the taste. most people would go for v.b., carlton or cascade. when in the walkabout pub chain with friends i got them to try these and they approved but did not like crown. you will find the choice of domestic beers is to rival that of the likes of germany almost and the strengths of some brands are weaker so as to be drank in the day (daytime sippers). any beer over a certain strength is called a bitter, but would taste more of lager so don't be put off. Dom joly did show called happy hour on sky which gave a good insight. :beer:

minibelle

Hutch Aug 21st 2007 10:32 pm

i have noticed on here that people say that aussie beers are of a similar taste to swamp water

The people that have a problem with aussie beer tend to be the same ones who have a rod up their arse about *everything* Australian, so I wouldn't read too much into it. There are some great aussie beers (Boags, Blue Tongue etc), some everyday middle-of-the-road ones (Tooheys New etc) and some lousy ones (XXXX, VB etc). Just enjoy trying 'em all out ... :D

Vim Fuego Aug 21st 2007 10:58 pm

I drink 'em all ... I like the James Squire stuff for a treat ... suffice to say that all Aussie beers aren't created equal. There's plenty of variety out there and lots of time to try 'em, if yer lucky :)

ianandhelena Aug 22nd 2007 2:24 am

Plenty of good stuff here-Boag's, Cascade, Dark Isle, Moo Brew etc plus good mainland brews-Coopers, Little Creatures, Gage Road etc.:beer::beer:

renth Aug 22nd 2007 2:35 am

beers like corrona , stella, and other quality lagers.i

Corona, quality lager? you're avin a laaf?

Can't go wrong with Coopers, the full range: Sparkling, Mild, Stout, IPA - all good.

Tiawamutu Aug 22nd 2007 2:58 am

My favourite is beez neez :beer:

It's a handgrafted honey wheat beer

I :heart: it!

Amazulu Aug 22nd 2007 3:02 am

A lot of Aussie beers are shite, but there are also some good ones. My favourites are Redback, Coopers Sparkling, Beez Neez and, at a push, Tooheys Extra Dry.

northernbird Aug 22nd 2007 3:02 am

I am with Vim, James Squire Amber Ale has to be one of my faves. Coopers looney juice aka Sparkling is a close second.

Edited to add, also like Redback, had forgotten about that but Amazulu reminded me.

DCI Gene Hunt Aug 22nd 2007 3:07 am

Aussie beers are generally all crap IMO. Some are slightly less crap than others though...

Imported beer is a little bit more expensive...
I wouldn't call Corona or Stella a quality beer though...if you like those, you'll probably enjoy aussie beers. :p

Amazulu Aug 22nd 2007 3:13 am

Originally Posted by northernbird (Post 5219706)
I am with Vim, James Squire Amber Ale has to be one of my faves. Coopers looney juice aka Sparkling is a close second.

Edited to add, also like Redback, had forgotten about that but Amazulu reminded me.

Little Creatures Pilsener too.

Hutch Aug 22nd 2007 3:45 am

Originally Posted by DCI Gene Hunt (Post 5219715)
I wouldn't call Corona or Stella a quality beer though...if you like those, you'll probably enjoy aussie beers. :p

Suppose you drink that warm stuff then...

DCI Gene Hunt Aug 22nd 2007 3:48 am

Just the quality stuff.:p

Vim Fuego Aug 22nd 2007 3:51 am

Bring back the Party Seven keg I say.

Hutch Aug 22nd 2007 3:54 am

Originally Posted by DCI Gene Hunt (Post 5219814)
Just the quality stuff.:p

Quality British beer. Sorry... those three words don't sit well together. :lol: