Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

A very Good Read !

A very Good Read !

Old Oct 22nd 2005, 10:00 am
Forum Regular

vandiemen has a brilliant futurevandiemen has a brilliant futurevandiemen has a brilliant futurevandiemen has a brilliant futurevandiemen has a brilliant futurevandiemen has a brilliant futurevandiemen has a brilliant future
Default A very Good Read !

Hi all,

I just thought I would recommend a book which I read a few months ago which is absolutely brilliant. Its called 'Ten Pound Poms, Australias Invisible Migrants'.

It is a very informative book and would be a worthwhile read for anyone who is set to embark on their emigration to Oz. It looks at a number of different families who emigrated during the ten pound pom era and focuses on those who are still out there now and also those who returned back to the UK. It highlights many of the problems the new arrivals faced and how they managed to overcome the obstacles thrown at them along their journey. Some of the stories about the 6 week boat crossing are truly sensational !

Some of the accounts in the book are very powerful and many of the migrants played a massive part in helping Australia become what it is today.

Go buy it !
Old Oct 22nd 2005, 2:57 pm
Gone Senile Member

Sandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: A very Good Read !

Originally Posted by vandiemen
Hi all,

I just thought I would recommend a book which I read a few months ago which is absolutely brilliant. Its called 'Ten Pound Poms, Australias Invisible Migrants'.

It is a very informative book and would be a worthwhile read for anyone who is set to embark on their emigration to Oz. It looks at a number of different families who emigrated during the ten pound pom era and focuses on those who are still out there now and also those who returned back to the UK. It highlights many of the problems the new arrivals faced and how they managed to overcome the obstacles thrown at them along their journey. Some of the stories about the 6 week boat crossing are truly sensational !

Some of the accounts in the book are very powerful and many of the migrants played a massive part in helping Australia become what it is today.

Go buy it !
yes well worth a plug.......and for taster

http://www.sussex.ac.uk/press_office...media501.shtml

My Uncle (little older than the 10 pound lot but worked his way on a boat to Australia) spent a few years backwards and forwards. We might all think about submitting our stories to a book in a few years, the migrants of the 2000's - somebody might like to read it in the 2040's??

Cheers
Old Oct 22nd 2005, 3:01 pm
Gone Senile Member

Sandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Sandra
yes well worth a plug.......and for taster

http://www.sussex.ac.uk/press_office...media501.shtml

My Uncle (little older than the 10 pound lot but worked his way on a boat to Australia) spent a few years backwards and forwards. We might all think about submitting our stories to a book in a few years, the migrants of the 2000's - somebody might like to read it in the 2040's??

Cheers
replying to my own reply....sad I know

but this is interesting

http://www.sussex.ac.uk/press_office...media483.shtml

Well I think so!
Old Oct 22nd 2005, 5:42 pm
Forum Regular

vandiemen has a brilliant futurevandiemen has a brilliant futurevandiemen has a brilliant futurevandiemen has a brilliant futurevandiemen has a brilliant futurevandiemen has a brilliant futurevandiemen has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by Sandra
replying to my own reply....sad I know

but this is interesting

http://www.sussex.ac.uk/press_office...media483.shtml

Well I think so!
Nice one Sandra, yep thats the one. Cracking book and highly recommended !
Old Oct 22nd 2005, 6:15 pm
Australia's Doorman

Hutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by vandiemen
Nice one Sandra, yep thats the one. Cracking book and highly recommended !
Yep. Found this particularly interesting - things really do never, ever change...

"The real reason why 250,000 Britons returned to the UK wasn't the anti-British feeling or the awful immigrant hostels - it was family responsibility. The guilt, isolation and homesickness people felt when confronted with ageing parents, marriage break-ups and pregnancy was too much to bear. People also felt culturally alienated in a land that was very familiar in some ways but also shockingly strange"
Old Oct 22nd 2005, 7:47 pm
BE Enthusiast

The Johnstons is a splendid one to beholdThe Johnstons is a splendid one to beholdThe Johnstons is a splendid one to beholdThe Johnstons is a splendid one to beholdThe Johnstons is a splendid one to beholdThe Johnstons is a splendid one to beholdThe Johnstons is a splendid one to beholdThe Johnstons is a splendid one to beholdThe Johnstons is a splendid one to beholdThe Johnstons is a splendid one to beholdThe Johnstons is a splendid one to behold

Thanks for the recommendation, will look it up . My Grandparents should have been £10 Poms but couldn't afford the £10 each to go!!!!

Needless to say, they're 110% behind our move .
TJ
Old Oct 22nd 2005, 8:13 pm
Bitter and twisted

Grayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond repute

Don't forget the Thousands of supposed British 'Orphans' forcibly sent to Australia around the war years and after :scared:

http://www.abc.net.au/lateline/stories/s17579.htm

G