Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Very first impression of Oz

Very first impression of Oz

Old Oct 17th 2010, 11:12 am
Where traffic lights rule

themerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Very first impression of Oz

We got here at the end of July, we stayed at a friends who lived in an old Queenslander , It was really really cold at night and I remember thinking we have been conned about the weather
Old Oct 17th 2010, 11:32 am
Banned

oztastic is an unknown quantity at this point

[QUOTE=expatasia;8919832]Never lived there but I first visited Australia in the mid 90s, in the admittedly attractive one-horse town of Toowoomba I couldn't believe they were selling sausage rolls & chips on a blistering hot day at the cricket ground where England were playing a warm-up match. The feller on the gate asked me where I was from. When I said I'd just flown in from Tokyo he said something like 'aww there's loadsa slopes up on the Gold Coast'

Remember a stunning catch from Athers then chatting with an elapsed Pom who told me about the effects of the Oz sun on his body over time. Also got acquainted with the BYO system for the first time that night. Bumped into Darren Gough at the breakfast table next morn asking for his toast to be done with the crusts left on.

Funny the things that stick in your mind.

Took me a few days to get over the jet lag then wandered into the city and loved it as it was clean, people were friendley and the sky was blue and the sun was shining so what can i say......arrived in paradise!!
Old Oct 18th 2010, 12:53 am
Account Closed

iamthecreaturefromuranus is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by oztastic
and the sky was blue and the sun was shining so what can i say......arrived in paradise!!
Where's the vomit smilie when you need one.
Old Oct 18th 2010, 12:59 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

BadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by oztastic
as it was clean, people were friendley and the sky was blue and the sun was shining so what can i say......arrived in paradise!!
Well do you mind explaining it all to me because I need reminding..
Old Oct 18th 2010, 5:22 am
Just Joined

headsouth will become famous soon enoughheadsouth will become famous soon enough

I arrived in the middle of winter at the end of july . I tought what have i got myself into
Old Oct 18th 2010, 7:13 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond repute

Came for a holiday back in 77, short drive from Tullamarine to my Cousins then gaffe in Westmeadows... I could see the bloody horizon ! Across slightly undulating open bush with weird shaped Trees dotted here and there and supposedly Roos in the distance. I was totally gobsmacked that you could see the horizon across Country from what it supposed to be a City airport. I arrived in November and was really surprised at how warm it was that night, and how much Beer everyone seemed to drink.

Things were slightly different in the 70's I can remember being dead shocked that they gave the mountain of cooked meat that was left over at the BBQ.... far more than we had eaten... to the Dog.
Old Oct 18th 2010, 7:15 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by iamthecreaturefromuranus
Where's the vomit smilie when you need one.
I wouldn't waste your vomit on him, he's left the building
Old Oct 18th 2010, 8:21 am
no stressin no fussin....

sonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pollyana
I wouldn't waste your vomit on him, he's left the building