Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

On the Verge of Heading Back, Brisbane Help Please

On the Verge of Heading Back, Brisbane Help Please

Old Sep 16th 2005, 1:31 am
She's Diddy, He's Not

diddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond repute
Default On the Verge of Heading Back, Brisbane Help Please

I don't want to go into too much detail, but my partner is finding it hard here big time with the kids and not having a car has made her life really difficult. In the UK we lived near everything. So we're on the verge of heading back but may give one more area a go.

Can anyone recommend an area that has a town centre type atmosphere near Brisbane where most amenities are walkable from the housing. One possibility is Cleveland, but any other recommendations nearer Brisbane.

Thanks,

Paul.
Old Sep 16th 2005, 1:42 am
Just Joined

Aussie Ant is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: On the Verge of Heading Back, Brisbane Help Please

Where do you live at the mo?.........and where did you come from in the UK? Some of our friends are going back but it's more to do with missing friends & family. Maybe you need to arrange meets with the other ex-pats in your area and built a social network . Esp with other people all in the same boat!! It really is a great tonic (and it's gotta be better than shopping!!)
Old Sep 16th 2005, 1:45 am
Nicest member ( I think)

meelie has a reputation beyond reputemeelie has a reputation beyond reputemeelie has a reputation beyond reputemeelie has a reputation beyond reputemeelie has a reputation beyond reputemeelie has a reputation beyond reputemeelie has a reputation beyond reputemeelie has a reputation beyond reputemeelie has a reputation beyond reputemeelie has a reputation beyond reputemeelie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by diddy
I don't want to go into too much detail, but my partner is finding it hard here big time with the kids and not having a car has made her life really difficult. In the UK we lived near everything. So we're on the verge of heading back but may give one more area a go.

Can anyone recommend an area that has a town centre type atmosphere near Brisbane where most amenities are walkable from the housing. One possibility is Cleveland, but any other recommendations nearer Brisbane.

Thanks,

Paul.
I live in Chapel hill, sort of SW of Brisbane. Rent is reasonable and transport is pretty good. True we are not near a beach but then I'm not a beach person really. There are a number of shopping centres nearby and any others can be reached easily by bus. Tell her not to give up on Oz yet. I've found it difficult at times and have felt really lonely but things are gradually working out for me. Good luck to you in whatever you decide.
Old Sep 16th 2005, 2:02 am
BE Forum Addict

woodyinoz has a reputation beyond reputewoodyinoz has a reputation beyond reputewoodyinoz has a reputation beyond reputewoodyinoz has a reputation beyond reputewoodyinoz has a reputation beyond reputewoodyinoz has a reputation beyond reputewoodyinoz has a reputation beyond reputewoodyinoz has a reputation beyond reputewoodyinoz has a reputation beyond reputewoodyinoz has a reputation beyond reputewoodyinoz has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks,

Paul.
How long have you been here for Diddy?
Old Sep 16th 2005, 2:11 am
She's Diddy, He's Not

diddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond reputediddy has a reputation beyond repute

Not long - 8 months. I've spent nearly two years here before, but that was pre-kids.

I shouldn't go into this detail on here and the Mrs will batter me for this, but she's seriously depressed and doing anything to sort it out on her own has become virtually impossible.

I really can't be arsed and think heading back is the best option. She can then have friends ect back.
Old Sep 16th 2005, 2:21 am
Nicest member ( I think)

meelie has a reputation beyond reputemeelie has a reputation beyond reputemeelie has a reputation beyond reputemeelie has a reputation beyond reputemeelie has a reputation beyond reputemeelie has a reputation beyond reputemeelie has a reputation beyond reputemeelie has a reputation beyond reputemeelie has a reputation beyond reputemeelie has a reputation beyond reputemeelie has a reputation beyond repute

Not long - 8 months. I've spent nearly two years here before, but that was pre-kids.

I shouldn't go into this detail on here and the Mrs will batter me for this, but she's seriously depressed and doing anything to sort it out on her own has become virtually impossible.

I really can't be arsed and think heading back is the best option. She can then have friends ect back.
I'll be her friend! I am looking for friends too, sad aren't I. No I think the hardest thing here is the loneliness. I am working on making friends but I think its harder for us women. AND we place more importance on relationships etc than you blokes! Its true that she needs to build up a social circle, she's not alone though, there are many of us expats who have not been here long and haven't built up a social circle yet. I'll pm you my phone number for her if she fancies a chat. But I don't want any funny phone calls with heavy breathing Diddy!
Old Sep 16th 2005, 2:31 am
BE Forum Addict

woodyinoz has a reputation beyond reputewoodyinoz has a reputation beyond reputewoodyinoz has a reputation beyond reputewoodyinoz has a reputation beyond reputewoodyinoz has a reputation beyond reputewoodyinoz has a reputation beyond reputewoodyinoz has a reputation beyond reputewoodyinoz has a reputation beyond reputewoodyinoz has a reputation beyond reputewoodyinoz has a reputation beyond reputewoodyinoz has a reputation beyond repute

I fully understand where she is coming from. I felt really bad last year and spent $11k on going back for a holiday and recky return. Suddenly I saw the UK without the Rose tinted specs.The parks with a rusty vandalised swing in, broken glass and needles on the floor. The crowded beaches and endless traffic. The youths and the uncaring attitude to the little ones. What was worse was the lack of time family for us. The stress they were under. AND my MOTHER nagging me about what is best!!!!!
I still have bouts of 'the blues' when I think that going home is the only thing that will help but gradually things are getting much better. Some friends are now becoming close friends. Money seems to be getting securer and things are becoming familiar. I still see family but in more condensed lots. It's taken 2 years of emotional turmoil.
I hope that things get easier for you all. Always support each other and listen and give tons of hugs... ohh and flowers and chocolate.

This was a good read
http://britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?t=326031
Old Sep 16th 2005, 2:35 am
BE Forum Addict

I forgot to mention that in a short space of time friends can have moved on!
This has been a Major shock to a lots of returnees. Worse because of your adventure relationships with friends maybe strained...
Old Sep 16th 2005, 2:50 am
Account Closed

Hels is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks,

Paul.

Paul,

I havent seen it mentioned by you, but is the reason Nik doesnt have a car because she cant drive? If she can drive why not get a little car so she can get out and about?

Paul you need to get the phone on for her too. I know she hasnt wanted to do it but perhaps you just need to bite the bullett and put it on so she can at least feel like she has a link to the outside world. I would then be MORE than happy to give her a call for a chat. I know once the depression takes hold its hard to see the light at the end of the tunnel. I think if things are going to work out then you need to look at whats important. Right now its getting Nik out of the depression and settled. If that takes moving again or a holiday or anything....you need to give it a try. Or you will go back to the UK and often wonder what if!!

I have said it before, I am here if you need me. Tell her too that I would love to chat with her and want to be here to help her. I do miss chatting with her.

Hels
Old Sep 16th 2005, 3:05 am
She's Diddy, He's Not

Thanks Hels. Thanks Meelie.

I haven't replied to your PM Hels coz I've stuck my head in the sand on this - bit crap really I know.

She's got a licence but a few days after passing, she had a really bad driving experience and hasn't driven since.

As for the phone thing, we're almost certain to leave the house we're in quite soon, so we've still just got the mobile.

I'll tell Nicole everything you said though.

Thanks aswell Meelie and Woody.

Paul.
Old Sep 16th 2005, 3:25 am
Paddington Brisbane

BKate is a jewel in the roughBKate is a jewel in the roughBKate is a jewel in the roughBKate is a jewel in the roughBKate is a jewel in the rough

What sort of budget do you have for renting?
Old Sep 16th 2005, 3:28 am
She's Diddy, He's Not

Originally Posted by BKate
What sort of budget do you have for renting?
$350 pw.
Old Sep 16th 2005, 3:35 am
Nicest member ( I think)

$350 pw.
Have yo tried the following? www.realestate.com.au Thats where we found the house we are moving to on 29th Sept $290 per week and has 2 bathrooms 3/4 Bedrooms a big rumpus room etc etc. You can ernt some really nice houses round our way for your budget.
Old Sep 16th 2005, 3:40 am
Paddington Brisbane

BKate is a jewel in the roughBKate is a jewel in the roughBKate is a jewel in the roughBKate is a jewel in the roughBKate is a jewel in the rough

Somewhere nice I went to last weekend was Bulimba

http://www.ourbrisbane.com/living/suburbs/bulimba/home/

It's a suburb on the river so good citycat connections and oxford street which is the main street is lovely there's a great park as well.
Old Sep 16th 2005, 3:42 am
She's Diddy, He's Not

Originally Posted by BKate
Somewhere nice I went to last weekend was Bulimba

http://www.ourbrisbane.com/living/suburbs/bulimba/home/

It's a suburb on the river so good citycat connections and oxford street which is the main street is lovely there's a great park as well.
Thanks, that's the sort of place we were after.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.