Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Veranda/Deck how much was yours & do you have photos???

Veranda/Deck how much was yours & do you have photos???

Old Apr 11th 2007, 7:36 am

annqldau is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Veranda/Deck how much was yours & do you have photos???

Just musing about putting a bigger veranda/Deck on our house would need to be approx 15 feet wide by about 20 feet long to be worth doing, problem is it would need to be 8 foot off the ground with one 20 foot side attached to the house.

Would just need metal stilts as present veranda is on metal poles and a metal fence round to match. Could have either a tiled or wood deck as we can do present veranda to match.

Anyway if you've done a veranda and don't mind sharing the approx price and showing a photo fire away.
Old Apr 11th 2007, 8:26 am
BE Forum Addict

joho has a reputation beyond reputejoho has a reputation beyond reputejoho has a reputation beyond reputejoho has a reputation beyond reputejoho has a reputation beyond reputejoho has a reputation beyond reputejoho has a reputation beyond reputejoho has a reputation beyond reputejoho has a reputation beyond reputejoho has a reputation beyond reputejoho has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Veranda/Deck how much was yours & do you have photos???

Originally Posted by annqldau
Just musing about putting a bigger veranda/Deck on our house would need to be approx 15 feet wide by about 20 feet long to be worth doing, problem is it would need to be 8 foot off the ground with one 20 foot side attached to the house.

Would just need metal stilts as present veranda is on metal poles and a metal fence round to match. Could have either a tiled or wood deck as we can do present veranda to match.

Anyway if you've done a veranda and don't mind sharing the approx price and showing a photo fire away.
Love verandas, wish I could have one bigger. I love queenslanders too.

Sigh
Old Apr 11th 2007, 8:34 am
Has left the building

Geelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by joho
Love verandas, wish I could have one bigger. I love queenslanders too.

Sigh
If I start mentioning my "deck" Buzzy is going to make some remark about Kiwi's and their big D###KS

So I shall refrain - however we are putting an L shaped one around our new build which will be 20 x 3 (metres) and then 33 x 3 (metres). Not sure what to do around the pool at the rear of the house. But love the idea of sitting out on the deck during a rainstorm.
Old Apr 11th 2007, 8:52 am
BE Forum Addict

joho has a reputation beyond reputejoho has a reputation beyond reputejoho has a reputation beyond reputejoho has a reputation beyond reputejoho has a reputation beyond reputejoho has a reputation beyond reputejoho has a reputation beyond reputejoho has a reputation beyond reputejoho has a reputation beyond reputejoho has a reputation beyond reputejoho has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Geelong Gent
If I start mentioning my "deck" Buzzy is going to make some remark about Kiwi's and their big D###KS

So I shall refrain - however we are putting an L shaped one around our new build which will be 20 x 3 (metres) and then 33 x 3 (metres). Not sure what to do around the pool at the rear of the house. But love the idea of sitting out on the deck during a rainstorm.
Mine is about 4 meters by 2 meters, just enough room for an outside lounge setting, but it is nice to sit out in the rain. Also note the colour of the house is changing and thats no mean feat:curse:

Jo
Attached Thumbnails Veranda/Deck how much was yours & do you have photos???-back-veranda.jpg   Veranda/Deck how much was yours & do you have photos???-veranda-green.jpg  
Old Apr 11th 2007, 9:14 am
Has left the building

Geelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond repute

Mine is about 4 meters by 2 meters, just enough room for an outside lounge setting, but it is nice to sit out in the rain. Also note the colour of the house is changing and thats no mean feat:curse:

Jo
Thats the life isn't it Jo sitting out sinking a few cold ones looking at that inviting pool in the warmer months. Or during the colder just sitting outside and taking it all in.
Old Apr 11th 2007, 10:20 am
Victorian Evangelist

Buzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Re: Veranda/Deck how much was yours & do you have photos???

Originally Posted by Geelong Gent
Yes.

Buzzy

ps here's my home built deck in the UK -

Old Apr 11th 2007, 10:33 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

BadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond repute

beautiful Buzzy.

Our is 7m x 13m - which is a sizeable deck for quite a small house, with an apex pergola some 4m high. It was very old so we covered it with laserlight and painted the whole lot including the old and tired merbau decking. It really came up.

The beams are 200mmx 50mm so its sturdier than the standard framing pine you seem to see sometimes.

Such a feat would be a couple of tens of thousands so we like it.
Old Apr 11th 2007, 11:51 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by BadgeIsBack
beautiful Buzzy.

Our is 7m x 13m - which is a sizeable deck for quite a small house, with an apex pergola some 4m high. It was very old so we covered it with laserlight and painted the whole lot including the old and tired merbau decking. It really came up.

The beams are 200mmx 50mm so its sturdier than the standard framing pine you seem to see sometimes.

Such a feat would be a couple of tens of thousands so we like it.
We have just built a pergola on the right as your looking at the photo above, just havent taken piccy of it yet. Its 8 meters by 5 meters os a good size. We used lazerlite apollo as it was the only one that had the colour we wanted whole thing cost us $2300 so not to bad. Hubby built it with a friend. I will photograph it and post tomorrow if I remember.

Jo
Old Apr 11th 2007, 12:35 pm
BE Forum Addict

rabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond repute

think this is 8 X 5 metres or something. it's gorgeous, i love it .. but yet i still want to go back to blighty some people are never happy!!!!
Attached Thumbnails Veranda/Deck how much was yours & do you have photos???-garden-feb-2005-018.jpg  
Old Apr 11th 2007, 12:49 pm
Forum Regular

cresta's conscience has a reputation beyond reputecresta's conscience has a reputation beyond reputecresta's conscience has a reputation beyond reputecresta's conscience has a reputation beyond reputecresta's conscience has a reputation beyond reputecresta's conscience has a reputation beyond reputecresta's conscience has a reputation beyond reputecresta's conscience has a reputation beyond reputecresta's conscience has a reputation beyond reputecresta's conscience has a reputation beyond reputecresta's conscience has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by rabsody
think this is 8 X 5 metres or something. it's gorgeous, i love it .. but yet i still want to go back to blighty some people are never happy!!!!
Maybe your not partying with the right people

Sean finally put our hammock up today, just gotta work out a way to get the spa up 6m high onto our back deck/veranda so I can look over the mountains whilst having a soak and I'll never wanna leave the house
Old Apr 12th 2007, 8:51 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

BadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond repute

I love merbau.
Old Apr 12th 2007, 8:58 am

Siren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by annqldau

You take a picture of it and I can give you a quote to what I would charge here in Perth
Old Apr 13th 2007, 6:57 am

We want tad bigger than that but like you have so can eat and relax on it, looks good however, wouldn't look as good in Blighty.

Originally Posted by cresta's conscience
Maybe your not partying with the right people

Sean finally put our hammock up today, just gotta work out a way to get the spa up 6m high onto our back deck/veranda so I can look over the mountains whilst having a soak and I'll never wanna leave the house
Mmmm... spa on veranda...mmmm maybe more complicated than it seems.

Originally Posted by Siren & Brian
You take a picture of it and I can give you a quote to what I would charge here in Perth
Will do, bit busy this weekend so will stick it as soon as possible.
Old Apr 13th 2007, 7:05 am

Jo
That's about the size of our present one but would like it a bit wider and a bit longer to enable proper eating area off kitchen which is upstairs.
Old Apr 13th 2007, 7:09 am

Originally Posted by Siren & Brian
Ok better idea if you ignore the twisty kid and the quality depending on your broadband speed this is a view of the area we want the deck upstairs as the kitchen is off the upstairs right door.

See http://video.google.com.au/videoplay...78997542612132

Therefore, we want to either build a new deck that incorporates the old verandas or a deck/veranda in-between the two that comes out a lot further than the existing ones that are only wide enough for big rocking chairs and not a decent entertaining area. The whole thing would need to be at the height of the existing decks but could just have sailcloth instead of roof as sun moves around front on an afternoon.

The other option is to somehow build on top of existing under cover seating area, which is downstairs, which is not good when kitchen is upstairs..... Moving the kitchen downstairs, my husband constantly tells me is not an option.

Last edited by annqldau; Apr 13th 2007 at 7:13 am.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.