British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Australia (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/)
-   -   Vegetarian food in Auckland (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/vegetarian-food-auckland-111249/)

Ken Waller Sep 11th 2002 7:31 am

Vegetarian food in Auckland

Looking for vegetarian meat substitute products in Auckland, NZ, but not having a lot of joy so far. Would ideally like to locate Quorn (mushroom based product) mince or peices, but anything similar would do.

Can any fellow veggies help me?

Regards,

Ken.:confused:

poggle Sep 11th 2002 8:03 am

Re: Vegetarian food in Auckland

Originally posted by Ken Waller:
Looking for vegetarian meat substitute products in Auckland, NZ, but not having a lot of joy so far. Would ideally like to locate Quorn (mushroom based product) mince or peices, but anything similar would do.

Can any fellow veggies help me?

Regards,

Ken.:confused:

Hi Ken!

I spent 6 weeks in oz earlier this year and was worried about what the veggie food was going to be like. Here in the uk I prepare and cook veggie meals myself at weekends but during the week i rely on Quorn based foods all the time, as its so much quicker! i was disappointed, to say the least that quorn had never been heard of anywhere out there!!!

Dont know if its the same in NZ, but nearly all veggie food in oz contained large amounts of pumpkin!!! great if you like pumpkin, but i dont!

Having decided to emigrate to oz, one of the first things i did was to find out if Quorn has any plans to distribute its products there. I emailed them and they replied straight away, and apparently they are hoping to get it soon. theres a problem with transporting it from uk! red tape probs with ministry of agricultue and fisheries, something like that.

If you havent already done it, checkout their website www.quorn.com
they will be happy to answer any q's you have.

hope this helps! Good luck

cheers xx
:beer:

Ceri Sep 11th 2002 8:43 am

Originally posted by poggle:

Hi Ken!

I spent 6 weeks in oz earlier this year and was worried about what the veggie food was going to be like. Here in the uk I prepare and cook veggie meals myself at weekends but during the week i rely on Quorn based foods all the time, as its so much quicker! i was disappointed, to say the least that quorn had never been heard of anywhere out there!!!

Dont know if its the same in NZ, but nearly all veggie food in oz contained large amounts of pumpkin!!! great if you like pumpkin, but i dont!

Having decided to emigrate to oz, one of the first things i did was to find out if Quorn has any plans to distribute its products there. I emailed them and they replied straight away, and apparently they are hoping to get it soon. theres a problem with transporting it from uk! red tape probs with ministry of agricultue and fisheries, something like that.

If you havent already done it, checkout their website www.quorn.com
they will be happy to answer any q's you have.

hope this helps! Good luck

cheers xx
:beer:
Good day people,
I'm Glad to hear that about the Quorn.
I've looked everywhere for Quorn myself - now I know why it's not here in OZ yet... cheers

There does not seem to be a lot of "ready made" vegetarian food here in Australia, I don't know if NZ is the same
Few products which I buy myself and can recommend you tasting are "not bacon" - which is very nice tasting, and the saugages which are made by the same makers of "not bacon". They are in the fridge section of the supermarket, maybe you can get them in NZ too.

It seems most of the manufactures of vegetarian food here in Australia think that "we" don't have any taste buds :)

cheers

Rohan Jackson Sep 12th 2002 5:27 am

Sanitarium make some nice vegetarian foods

www.sanitarium.com.au

Lots of organic breads. Wheat and gluten free pastas and sugar free goodies to eat at
Safeway & Coles supermarkets in Oz.

"Ken Waller" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > Looking for vegetarian meat substitute products in Auckland, NZ, but not having a
    > lot of joy so far. Would ideally like to locate Quorn (mushroom based product)
    > mince or peices, but anything similar would do.
    > Can any fellow veggies help me?
    > Regards,
    > Ken.:confused:
    > --
    > Posted via http://britishexpats.com

Thunder Ace Sep 13th 2002 8:25 am

Ceri <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:<[email protected]>...
    > Originally posted by poggle:
    > >
    > >
    > >
    > >
    > > Hi Ken!
    > >
    > > I spent 6 weeks in oz earlier this year and was worried about what the
    > > veggie food was going to be like. Here in the uk I prepare and cook
    > > veggie meals myself at weekends but during the week i rely on Quorn
    > > based foods all the time, as its so much quicker! i was disappointed, to
    > > say the least that quorn had never been heard of anywhere out there!!!
    > >
    > > Dont know if its the same in NZ, but nearly all veggie food in oz contained large
    > > amounts of pumpkin!!! great if you like pumpkin, but i dont!
    > >
    > > Having decided to emigrate to oz, one of the first things i did was to find out
    > > if Quorn has any plans to distribute its products there. I emailed them and they
    > > replied straight away, and apparently they are hoping to get it soon. theres a
    > > problem with transporting it from uk! red tape probs with ministry of agricultue
    > > and fisheries, something like that.
    > >
    > > If you havent already done it, checkout their website
    > > www.quorn.com they will be happy to answer any
    > > q's you have.
    > >
    > > hope this helps! Good luck
    > >
    > > cheers xx :beer:
    > Good day people, I'm Glad to hear that about the Quorn. I've looked everywhere for
    > Quorn myself - now I know why it's not here in OZ yet... cheers
    > There does not seem to be a lot of "ready made" vegetarian food here in Australia,
    > I don't know if NZ is the same Few products which I buy myself and can recommend
    > you tasting are "not bacon" - which is very nice tasting, and the saugages which
    > are made by the same makers of "not bacon". They are in the fridge section of the
    > supermarket, maybe you can get them in NZ too.
    > It seems most of the manufactures of vegetarian food here in Australia think that
    > "we" don't have any taste buds :)

Looks like a business opportunity to me. If the market is not being supplied, why
don't you have go yourself?

Thunder Ace.

> cheers

Ceri Sep 13th 2002 1:54 pm

Originally posted by Thunder Ace:
Ceri <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:<[email protected]>...
    > Originally posted by poggle:
    > >
    > >
    > >
    > >
    > > Hi Ken!
    > >
    > > I spent 6 weeks in oz earlier this year and was worried about what the
    > > veggie food was going to be like. Here in the uk I prepare and cook
    > > veggie meals myself at weekends but during the week i rely on Quorn
    > > based foods all the time, as its so much quicker! i was disappointed, to
    > > say the least that quorn had never been heard of anywhere out there!!!
    > >
    > > Dont know if its the same in NZ, but nearly all veggie food in oz contained large
    > > amounts of pumpkin!!! great if you like pumpkin, but i dont!
    > >
    > > Having decided to emigrate to oz, one of the first things i did was to find out
    > > if Quorn has any plans to distribute its products there. I emailed them and they
    > > replied straight away, and apparently they are hoping to get it soon. theres a
    > > problem with transporting it from uk! red tape probs with ministry of agricultue
    > > and fisheries, something like that.
    > >
    > > If you havent already done it, checkout their website
    > > www.quorn.com they will be happy to answer any
    > > q's you have.
    > >
    > > hope this helps! Good luck
    > >
    > > cheers xx :beer:
    > Good day people, I'm Glad to hear that about the Quorn. I've looked everywhere for
    > Quorn myself - now I know why it's not here in OZ yet... cheers
    > There does not seem to be a lot of "ready made" vegetarian food here in Australia,
    > I don't know if NZ is the same Few products which I buy myself and can recommend
    > you tasting are "not bacon" - which is very nice tasting, and the saugages which
    > are made by the same makers of "not bacon". They are in the fridge section of the
    > supermarket, maybe you can get them in NZ too.
    > It seems most of the manufactures of vegetarian food here in Australia think that
    > "we" don't have any taste buds :)

Looks like a business opportunity to me. If the market is not being supplied, why
don't you have go yourself?

Thunder Ace.

> cheers
It's a nice thought, thunder... but it's complicated, the import food business.

I had a mate, while I was living in singapore , an aussie, who's into the sugar (import/export) business in Singapore ( hi Bruce... if your out there! :) )
he mortgaged his house the lot to fund the business, basically putting every penny in to it, and losing on a lot of occasions.... It's a hard business... it's good if it pays off.

I wouldn't know where to start, and it's not as easy as it's sounds.. good luck to people who want to give this sort of thing a go, It's not something that I would wish to do... too much risk involved

Cheers:)

Ken Waller Sep 13th 2002 9:05 pm

Thanks for the reponses, guys! I've asked around and just get blank looks when asking about Quorn!

We have, however, found a very nice 'Organic Food Shop' in Devonport, on the North Shore. It's next to the New World supermarket, about 2 blocks down from the Ferry terminal on the left hand side. No Quorn, but lots of scrummy alternative ready meals and something called 'Tempe', which is made of wheat and soyar I think. Not quite Quorn, but certainly better than Tofu, which I find revolting, and absolutely nothing like meat in terms of taste or consistency!

New World, BTW, had a fairly good Vege section too, and may be worth a look also.

Cheers,

Ken.

poggle Sep 13th 2002 9:45 pm

Originally posted by Ken Waller:
Thanks for the reponses, guys! I've asked around and just get blank looks when asking about Quorn!

We have, however, found a very nice 'Organic Food Shop' in Devonport, on the North Shore. It's next to the New World supermarket, about 2 blocks down from the Ferry terminal on the left hand side. No Quorn, but lots of scrummy alternative ready meals and something called 'Tempe', which is made of wheat and soyar I think. Not quite Quorn, but certainly better than Tofu, which I find revolting, and absolutely nothing like meat in terms of taste or consistency!

New World, BTW, had a fairly good Vege section too, and may be worth a look also.

Cheers,

Ken.

Hi Ken!

Like you i find tofu disgusting! usually very bland and tasteless unles its marinated and used in chinese style stir-frys, or similar, then its bearable! Did you get time to look up the Quorn website? Ive been meaning to go on there to get an update on the situ. but sad as i am!, i seem to spend all my 'pooter' time on this forum! But Honestly if Quorn ever gets to oz or Nz the veggies over there will think all their xmas's have come at once!!!
I served veggie lasagne made with Quorn 'mince' to non-veggie friends the other night and they were puzzled as to why i was eating the same dinner as them!! they couldn't believe it wasnt made with meat! its so versatile, but having said that, there are the the veggies that dont believe in eating anything that 'resembles' meat but i feel that as long as its NOT meat its ok if it just looks like it!
Here in UK there are many health conscious non veggies that have Quorn a few times a week as a cheaper and healthier alternative to meat!

Is dried soya mince or chunks available in Nz or Oz?

Anyway, Im not one of those 'Kaftan and sandals brigade!' but i have to say Quorn is one of the very few things i will miss from U.K! if/when i eventually get to oz! so its good to hear of alternatives! keep us informed of any good 'veggie finds!'

Cheers! for now Kaff xx

:)