Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

VEGETARIAN!!! in Australia...? Is it unheard of...?

VEGETARIAN!!! in Australia...? Is it unheard of...?

Old Nov 15th 2006, 9:09 am
Forum Regular

Matt06 has much to be proud ofMatt06 has much to be proud ofMatt06 has much to be proud ofMatt06 has much to be proud ofMatt06 has much to be proud ofMatt06 has much to be proud ofMatt06 has much to be proud ofMatt06 has much to be proud ofMatt06 has much to be proud ofMatt06 has much to be proud ofMatt06 has much to be proud of
Default VEGETARIAN!!! in Australia...? Is it unheard of...?

Hey,
I am a vegetarian, and i am emigrating to Australia, but i have been before (when i wasnt a veggie) and they had bbbq's like everyday... What should i do? Do they have vegetarian food over in oz? Is there any fellow veggies? PLease can someone stop me asking questions? lol

Appreciate any advice

Matt
xxx
Old Nov 15th 2006, 9:18 am
Just Joined

Ann-marie is just really niceAnn-marie is just really niceAnn-marie is just really niceAnn-marie is just really niceAnn-marie is just really niceAnn-marie is just really niceAnn-marie is just really niceAnn-marie is just really niceAnn-marie is just really niceAnn-marie is just really niceAnn-marie is just really nice
Default Re: VEGETARIAN!!! in Australia...? Is it unheard of...?

Hi, my daughter who is 16yrs old is a strict vegetarian, and she can get vegetarian food no problem. The only thing she misses is quorn, which you cannot get here. We live in Melbourne. Hope this is some help to you.

Ann-marie
Old Nov 15th 2006, 9:23 am
Forum Regular

Matt06 has much to be proud ofMatt06 has much to be proud ofMatt06 has much to be proud ofMatt06 has much to be proud ofMatt06 has much to be proud ofMatt06 has much to be proud ofMatt06 has much to be proud ofMatt06 has much to be proud ofMatt06 has much to be proud ofMatt06 has much to be proud ofMatt06 has much to be proud of

Well thanks alot for that...
APPRECIATE IT!

Thanks

Matt
Old Nov 15th 2006, 9:26 am
BE Forum Addict

Pomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond repute

I'm a veggie and have been in Melbourne for 6.5 years- I have never found a problem with veggie food until I fell pregnant, when you have to avoid all sorts of things.

However I assume that is not an issue for you, so you should find heaps of choice (and most of it very yummy)
Old Nov 15th 2006, 9:28 am
sme
......in the sand !

sme has a reputation beyond reputesme has a reputation beyond reputesme has a reputation beyond reputesme has a reputation beyond reputesme has a reputation beyond reputesme has a reputation beyond reputesme has a reputation beyond reputesme has a reputation beyond reputesme has a reputation beyond reputesme has a reputation beyond reputesme has a reputation beyond repute

Whats a vegetarian??????????????

Seriously all our local supermarkets stock vegetarian items
Old Nov 15th 2006, 9:34 am
Forum Regular

Someone that doesn't eat meat.. There are all different types, semi-veggie,

Vegan (dont eat anything from an animal)

Fruitarian Only eats fruit...

Matt

xxx

Seriously all our local supermarkets stock vegetarian items [/QUOTE]
Old Nov 15th 2006, 9:36 am
Account Closed

iPom is an unknown quantity at this point

My sis in law is vegetarian... When we do BBQ, we obviously clean it thoroughly beforehand ... On the hotplate we do fresh corn cobs, eggplant and onion with spices, haloumi cheese on skewers, vegetable kebabs...
It's easy to do. Lots of very veggie friendly places to eat at too.

Old Nov 15th 2006, 9:37 am
Account Closed

iPom is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Matt06
Someone that doesn't eat meat.. There are all different types, semi-veggie,

I think I must be a semi-vegetarian because I eat veg and meat and fish.
Old Nov 15th 2006, 11:46 am
BE Enthusiast

mbike has a reputation beyond reputembike has a reputation beyond reputembike has a reputation beyond reputembike has a reputation beyond reputembike has a reputation beyond reputembike has a reputation beyond reputembike has a reputation beyond reputembike has a reputation beyond reputembike has a reputation beyond reputembike has a reputation beyond reputembike has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Matt06
Hey,
I am a vegetarian, and i am emigrating to Australia, but i have been before (when i wasnt a veggie) and they had bbbq's like everyday... What should i do? Do they have vegetarian food over in oz? Is there any fellow veggies? PLease can someone stop me asking questions? lol

Appreciate any advice

Matt
xxx
Hi Matt,

We are almost veggie (we eat fish, no meat). We have found most of the things you can get in the UK (except - as said- Quorn). If you cook, you will find all the staple veggies most of the year around with the usual TVP and stuff to mix with it. SE Asian influence means a great choice in restaurants (tofu with everything) and there is loads of tofu and tempeh in supermarkets. The imitation meat stuff is ok but we didn't like any of the sausages (too much seasoning). The frozen franfurters from Coles are good for hotdogs. Burgers tend to be potato or bean based and come chilled rather than frozen. There is some nice thick soya bacon (which stays chewy, unlike the shoe insole stuff in the UK). Forget Linda McCartney type ready meals, they haven't made it over here yet (thankfully) Healthshops and most supermarkets here in Perth will do veggie stock, hummous, tzasiki and the like are plentiful. There are a few types of veggie (non-animal-rennet) cheeses - edam, feta and the like. We haven't found any good strong NAR cheddar, but we are not that strict. Be prepared for some funny looks, especially as a bloke, snags (sausages) around the barbie is a way of life over here.

They call it "Veggo" over here too.

Cheers

Mark
Old Nov 15th 2006, 3:27 pm
Forum Regular

Hey,
Lol, wow i really didnt think that i woulg get all that information all in one go! that was a fantastic post.. Thanks alot i have now got alot more confidence when i go ver there now, lol

Thanks Alot...

Matt

x
Old Nov 19th 2006, 3:45 pm
Happy little vegemite

blimeyj is an unknown quantity at this point

Nice to see some veggie talk on here!

My hubby and I have been to Aus a few times as vegetarians, and had no problems (besides trying to get my Aussie parents to understand :scared: ).

We are both vegan now and that will be more of a challenge but we are up to it and know of lots of good resources to help us out.
Old Nov 19th 2006, 4:29 pm
Forum Regular

well go you and your hubby...lol

We will stick together....lol

Matt

xxx
Old Nov 20th 2006, 8:06 am
BE Enthusiast

mbike has a reputation beyond reputembike has a reputation beyond reputembike has a reputation beyond reputembike has a reputation beyond reputembike has a reputation beyond reputembike has a reputation beyond reputembike has a reputation beyond reputembike has a reputation beyond reputembike has a reputation beyond reputembike has a reputation beyond reputembike has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by blimeyj
Nice to see some veggie talk on here!

My hubby and I have been to Aus a few times as vegetarians, and had no problems (besides trying to get my Aussie parents to understand :scared: ).

We are both vegan now and that will be more of a challenge but we are up to it and know of lots of good resources to help us out.
Australia seems much better geared for vegans due to the higher proportion/awareness of lactose intolerance. This means there's more soya-based stuff around. I've noticed quite a lot more meat by-products in food though so it always pays to read the labels

Mark